Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinelines
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
I Don't Think My Mind Can Accept Modernity * 1
    #23596128 - 08/31/16 12:57 AM (7 years, 6 months ago)

I was watching an old movie with Sylvester Stallone a couple days ago called Nighthawks. It was made in 1981. Just watching it made me YEARN FOR a time when things were more NORMAL. The movie took place in nyc.

The characters weren't like 1950's traditional style people, it wasn't to that extreme. But when i say normal I can sum it up in a few elements.

1. There was SINCERITY in the way people expressed themselves. In the modern movies it seems like everything is a joke and the emotions people express are all parodies of emotions. Everything seems snarky and ironic.

2. There was a scene that took place in a church, this gave the impression of a default CHRISTIAN culture in society. I don't think it is good for people to be forced to be a particular religion but if society has a default norm in terms of what religion most people identify with it is COMFORTING.

3. There wasn't strict gender norms but women were WOMEN and that was okay and MEN were men and that was okay. In the movie there was not strict gender roles, you could see random people in the movie who clearly strayed from the norms in their dress but overall you could just sense that GENDER was accepted by society. There wasn't this self-disgust at ones own gender identity that permeates the modern world where many people try to twist themselves into knots with all sorts of sociological terms related to gender identity, people weren't turning their mind into pretzels in an effort to deny their GENDER IDENTITY.

It's just these THREE SIMPLE THINGS.

The way I felt in response to this reminded me of a story I heard about scotland in the 1500's or 1600's about how when the scots would hear the bagpipes they would sometimes go a bit emotionally wild and be roused to patriotism for their people due to the bagpipes reminding them of a time from the past when their nation had more self-determination.

And I have found that seeing older movies or older tv shows sometimes touches something in my heart where I feel a slight sadness for something we lost in our culture and a yearning to return to it. And a slight anger at modernity. I respect peoples right to fully participate in modernity and contemplate what their religious affiliation is and what their identity is and their right to accept and reject things associated with identity. But the radical freedom of that is just too rootless for me. It makes me feel like a leaf blowing in the wind.

For the sake of my own psychological well being I think I personally need to be anchored in tradition. I feel like the modernity has just become one giant bad trip. I recognize that modernity is beautiful to some people and I totally respect that but to me it seems grotesque and my mind just can't accept it. Modernity seems to be based on insincerity(being ironic), a rejection of gender, and an embrace of cultural chaos. This is why I reject modernity and instead choose to be traditional.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
Re: I Don't Think My Mind Can Accept Modernity [Re: lines]
    #23598502 - 08/31/16 06:33 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

The reason the family unit with the strong father figure is under attack by the cultural fascism of a politically correct society is to divide and conquer.  The strong male figure has been replaced by a strong female figure and like it or not Hillary is destined to be our next president.  The puppetry of Trump to anyone paying attention should be obvious, along with his ties to big money and the Clintons going back years.  He's just another actor in a play, and in spite of those who would root for his heroism will disappoint like others in that arena.

Tradition, with it's self sufficiency and family ties is under attack because Bernie is in, being entitled is in, being greedy and useless and a useless eater but a demanding food stamp student loan obnoxious cunt of a useless eater is in.  First and second amendment rights are out, guns in the hands of only criminals is in.

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

OfflinePeyote Road
Stranger
Male
Loc: Great Lakes State
Re: I Don't Think My Mind Can Accept Modernity [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #23598836 - 08/31/16 07:58 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Hey OP I recommend you read this book https://www.amazon.com/Feminine-Universe-Exposition-Primordial-Perspective/dp/1453789529

The title may seem to have nothing to do with your topic but this book talks a lot about how society and culture has changed over the ages, especially from the pre 1950s era vs now. It explains how modern culture is becoming increasingly atomized, where each person is an individual unit no longer seeing themselves as part of the collective. It talks about the gender role have changed and modern feminism has in many ways hurt women by teaching them that the way to gender equality is to start behaving like men.

The book also talks abou if you watch movies made in the first half of the twentieth century, you see a very different culture from what we have today. Not a spiritually enlightened culture, but a culture that was at least in line with spiritual principles whether consciously aware of it or not.

I also find modern culture very ugly and I have never managed to fit it with it.

One example I can think of that relates this is I recall watching a documentary about the doors. It said that during one of their early concerts, Jim Morrison launched into an obscenity filled rant on stage and this was a teenage audience and the boys were covering their girlfriends ears to prevent them from hearing the terrible curse words he was saying. I remember being shocked to hear this, since in the culture I grew up your girlfriend was more likely to sound like Jim Morrison than be scandalized by him.

That's when I realized that it was really a different era back and in many ways a much more sweet and innocent time. Not that I have a problem with Jim Morrison, I am actually a fan of his poetry and music I just think the story illustrates how much times have changed and how we no longer value innocence and sweetness. Now we actually look down on such people as naive.

--------------------
The path of the herbalist is to open ourselves to nature in an innocent and pure way. SHe in turn will open her bounty and reward us with many valuable secrets. May the earth bless you. - Michael Tierra

Edited by Peyote Road (08/31/16 08:01 PM)

OfflineCrumist
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: I Don't Think My Mind Can Accept Modernity [Re: Peyote Road]
    #23599434 - 08/31/16 10:42 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

1. There was SINCERITY in the way people expressed themselves. In the modern movies it seems like everything is a joke and the emotions people express are all parodies of emotions. Everything seems snarky and ironic.

Funny, I just watched Frances Ha and I was thinking about how the titular character is
perhaps the most sincere I've ever seen. Its set in modern day NYC.
Maybe things just seem sincere against the backdrop of NYC?

Another film I caught recently on TCM was They Died With Their Boots On about Gen. Custer.
Again the theme is Custer's authenticity to a fault against the backdrop of politics and West Point

Quote:

2. There was a scene that took place in a church, this gave the impression of a default CHRISTIAN culture in society. I don't think it is good for people to be forced to be a particular religion but if society has a default norm in terms of what religion most people identify with it is COMFORTING.

But this is an illusion. There were both mosques and synagogues on Manhattan before the colonies were
free of British rule.

My recommendation to you is the German film Der Welle (The Wave)
Conformity can be extremely comforting to certain personalities (I'm counting
myself as extremely susceptible) but there are dangers.

--------------------
'I am all for resources being allocated to the widowed single mother of 3, lost husband over seas fighting for our country. I am for vets getting mental health access and resources following war. I am not for free money cause a woman can't close her legs or some chump with low testosterone no going to work cause "i'm sad."' -finalexplosion
Nice knowin ya'll! https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/23904704/vc/1#23904704

Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: Utah
    #23599478 - 08/31/16 10:57 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

You can pry modernity from my cold dead hands.

People should be free to act however the fuck they want, dress however the fuck they want, fuck whoever the fuck they want, be however the fuck girly or masculine they want, and say whatever the fuck they want at any time for any reason. That's real freedom baby. Accept no substitutes.

If someone wants to go through life calling themselves a dragon and demanding others call them a dragon and constantly wearing nothing but a giant dragon costume, and getting fucked only by old men purely through glory holes at airports while wearing a fursuit, fucking go for it dude. More power to them.

OfflineCrumist
Stranger

Re: I Don't Think My Mind Can Accept Modernity [Re: nooneman]
    #23599488 - 08/31/16 11:01 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

:rockon:

--------------------
'I am all for resources being allocated to the widowed single mother of 3, lost husband over seas fighting for our country. I am for vets getting mental health access and resources following war. I am not for free money cause a woman can't close her legs or some chump with low testosterone no going to work cause "i'm sad."' -finalexplosion
Nice knowin ya'll! https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/23904704/vc/1#23904704

OfflineBozko
Thread Ruining Autist
 User Gallery

Loc: USA PNW
    #23599630 - 09/01/16 12:10 AM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

nooneman said:
You can pry modernity from my cold dead hands.

People should be free to act however the fuck they want, dress however the fuck they want, fuck whoever the fuck they want, be however the fuck girly or masculine they want, and say whatever the fuck they want at any time for any reason. That's real freedom baby. Accept no substitutes.

If someone wants to go through life calling themselves a dragon and demanding others call them a dragon and constantly wearing nothing but a giant dragon costume, and getting fucked only by old men purely through glory holes at airports while wearing a fursuit, fucking go for it dude. More power to them.

This 1000 times.

--------------------
ShadeOfDeepPurple said: I guess you don't get shamanism yet by the very fact that you describe a psychedelic as Mexican.

Offlineakira_akuma
Φύσις κρύπτεσθαι ὕψιστος φιλεῖ

Loc: Onypeirophóros
Re: I Don't Think My Mind Can Accept Modernity [Re: Bozko] * 1
    #23602440 - 09/01/16 07:36 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

i don't think humans can accept much of anything.

OfflineLucisM
Nutritional Yeast

#23602779 - 09/01/16 09:10 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

lines said:
This is why I reject modernity and instead choose to be traditional.

I don't think all these new ideas, are really new ideas.  You can find some interesting behaviors in many ancient peoples, it's just that nowadays people don't have to hide who they really are, so they let their freak flag fly, and with social media being so huge, we're exposed to more of it.  One doesn't have to search far to read about interesting sexual behaviors in ancient peoples, just look at the ancient Greeks, or Rome/Pompeii for an eye opening view on ancients getting down and dirty.

In the past people were told that if they did something out of the norm, then they were possessed by demons, or might be condemned to death, so I think it's refreshing to see people being who they really are without having to worry about getting their head chopped off.

--------------------
©️

Offlineyeah
Male User Gallery

#23604083 - 09/02/16 09:22 AM (7 years, 6 months ago)

I feel like most American women are completely ruined. There's nothing to snap them out of this spell that has them wanting nature to be completely reversed for them. God I hope I am wrong.

--------------------

OfflineBozko
Thread Ruining Autist
 User Gallery

Re: I Don't Think My Mind Can Accept Modernity [Re: yeah]
    #23605805 - 09/02/16 07:08 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

How are American women ruined?

--------------------
ShadeOfDeepPurple said: I guess you don't get shamanism yet by the very fact that you describe a psychedelic as Mexican.

Offlineyeah
Male User Gallery

Re: I Don't Think My Mind Can Accept Modernity [Re: Bozko]
    #23606154 - 09/02/16 09:04 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

I have too many feelings and ideas to succinctly explain. Basically, I feel like a victim of feminism. Maybe that's my problem is that I want to be a victim. There, ya got me.

I think what I am really upset with, actually, is the lack of depth in the average person. I just see that and blame it on one ism or another. When in fact, it's the human condition.

--------------------

Edited by yeah (09/02/16 09:15 PM)

OfflineRJ Tubs 202
Male

Loc: USA Flag
    #23606634 - 09/02/16 11:22 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

nooneman said:

If someone wants to adopt this persona, fine. I won't judge them for adopting this self-identification.

But I refuse to teach my 13 year old that this is a path to not suffering.

Offlineyeah
Male User Gallery

#23608037 - 09/03/16 01:20 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Edited by yeah (09/03/16 01:32 PM)

OfflineCrumist
Stranger

#23608073 - 09/03/16 01:37 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Im confused about that MSpaint cartoon. AFAIK gay rights and atheist organizations are
outspoken in their criticisms of Islam.

--------------------

OfflineBozko
Thread Ruining Autist
 User Gallery

Re: I Don't Think My Mind Can Accept Modernity [Re: Crumist]
    #23608188 - 09/03/16 02:23 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Dude, if you expose yourself to that mindpoison, you're gonna feel sick. The alt-right, as I see it, is mostly composed of 'conspiracy theorists' who really just ache for a time when Christian dogma was dominant. So really it's their brainwashing over someone elses.

If you're having girl problems I feel bad for you son.:shrug:

--------------------

Edited by Bozko (09/03/16 05:23 PM)

OfflineCrumist
Stranger

Re: I Don't Think My Mind Can Accept Modernity [Re: Bozko]
    #23608872 - 09/03/16 06:14 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Was the "girl problems" directed at me? What makes you think that? Thanks for the thought
but I don't need anyone feeling bad for me, I'm swell.

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
Re: I Don't Think My Mind Can Accept Modernity [Re: yeah] * 1
    #23608912 - 09/03/16 06:27 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

yeah said:
I feel like most American women are completely ruined. There's nothing to snap them out of this spell that has them wanting nature to be completely reversed for them. God I hope I am wrong.

Of course, this is a commentary on America personified, but...

American Woman - The Guess Who

American woman gonna mess your mind
American woman, she gonna mess your mind
Mm, American woman gonna mess your mind
Say A
Say M
Say E
Say R
Say I
C
Say A
N, mm
American woman gonna mess your mind
Uh, American woman gonna mess your mind

Uh!

American woman, stay away from me
American woman, mama, let me be
Don't come a-hangin' around my door
I don't wanna see your face no more
I got more important things to do
Than spend my time growin' old with you
Now woman, I said stay away
American woman, listen what I say

American woman, get away from me
Don't come a-knockin' around my door
Don't wanna see your shadow no more
Coloured lights can hypnotize
Sparkle someone else's eyes
Now woman, I said get away
American woman, listen what I say, hey

American woman, said get away
American woman, listen what I say
Don't come a-hangin' around my door
Don't wanna see your face no more
I don't need your war machines
I don't need your ghetto scenes
Coloured lights can hypnotize
Sparkle someone else's eyes
Now woman, get away from me

Go, gotta get away, gotta get away
Now go go go
I'm gonna leave you, woman
Gonna leave you, woman
Bye-bye
Bye-bye
Bye-bye
Bye-bye
You're no good for me
I'm no good for you
Gonna look you right in the eye
Tell you what I'm gonna do
You know I'm gonna leave
You know I'm gonna go
You know I'm gonna leave
You know I'm gonna go, woman
I'm gonna leave ya, woman
Goodbye, American woman...

Written by Burton Cummings, Gary Peterson, Michael Kale, Randy Bachman • Copyright © BMG Rights Management US, LLC

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

OfflineBozko
Thread Ruining Autist
 User Gallery

Re: I Don't Think My Mind Can Accept Modernity [Re: Crumist]
    #23609287 - 09/03/16 08:29 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Crumist said:
Was the "girl problems" directed at me? What makes you think that? Thanks for the thought
but I don't need anyone feeling bad for me, I'm swell.

No, it wasn't at you lol

--------------------

Offlineyeah
Male User Gallery

Re: I Don't Think My Mind Can Accept Modernity [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #23612305 - 09/04/16 06:48 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

good song

--------------------

OfflineDuncan Rowhl
Fiducia Christum
Male User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
    #23612441 - 09/04/16 07:35 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

I believe that paradigms were altered substantially through the connection and confusion of mind through the evolution of the Internet.

We need only take a look at language itself to see a clear product of Internet indoctrination.

There's a post above that has 'f*ck' for every third word.  This is the type of thing that people assume looks good, but only serves ultimately as a huge self detriment.  It is no different from the insincere acts on TV.

The media is serving little purpose now, exposing and amplifying a falsehood.  Rest assured though, for those who are capable and willing, they are contributing and elaborating to and upon spirituality to counter this. There's a good fight happening.  It's in the world. It just isn't on TV. To get in on it, we need only give it up and give our fake selves up. :thumbup:

Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: Utah
Re: I Don't Think My Mind Can Accept Modernity [Re: Duncan Rowhl] * 1
    #23612456 - 09/04/16 07:39 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

I assure you, I sincerely meant every one of those fucks.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale