Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
philosophy the result of idol, bored & self-indulgent minds?
    #2356956 - 02/19/04 08:53 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

And is it an exercise in complete and utter futility? How do we expect to learn and understand the universe in one life time when the culmination of thousands of lifetimes have only resulted in bullshit science, better war and weaponry and men in suits who think their lives matter while they children wish they would hurry up and die so that they can get their inheritence??
The most ancient of religions still practised today - (practised in the same way that it was originally practised - unlike all these wiccan wanks who pretend that their really were fairies and witches running around europe worshipping the goddess - teutonic orders who ruled in europe from around 400AD pushed out celtic beliefs not wiccan) explains the futility in philosophy - you will never work it all out - the more you think about the way of the worlds - the reason for life the further you will get from the answer - which is that is just 'is'. :beer:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDestruKtiKon
Embrace theChaos!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Here
Re: philosophy the result of idol, bored & self-indulgent minds? [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #2357030 - 02/19/04 10:37 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Well then, isn't everything futile? As for myself, when not idle, I still think in philisophical terms about what is going on. Philosophy for me(and alot of others i guess) is a personal endeavour to help me live a better more fulfilling(to myself) life.

--------------------
Light & Music

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: philosophy the result of idol, bored & self-indulgent minds? [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #2357537 - 02/20/04 12:49 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

You know... it's actually possible to produce visible change with aptly applied philosophical ideas. Maybe the problem is that YOU aren't doing shit.
*kicks bluemeanie in the ass (but not that hard)*
GET UP FUGGER!!!
Here's your can of spray paint...

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

#2357797 - 02/20/04 01:43 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Bluemeanie, that was a pretty harsh flame at wicca.

I'm gonna have to agree with Sclorch here.

Philosophy is only futile when it extends no further into your life than conceptualization.

OfflineDestruKtiKon
Embrace theChaos!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Here
Re: philosophy the result of idol, bored & self-indulgent minds? [Re: NiamhNyx]
    #2357981 - 02/20/04 03:08 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

^^^yeah

--------------------
Light & Music

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: philosophy the result of idol, bored & self-indulgent minds? [Re: Sclorch]
    #2358185 - 02/20/04 05:51 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

How exactly does that retaliate to my points in any way?
You say that it is possible to visual change but dont quantify what exactly your making change to - do you mean your identity? Ego? How do you manifest visual changes to something that is inherantly invisible? Your statement makes no sense and demonstrates that all you really understand about philosophy is that 'its cool to think about when stoned.'
All youve really demonstrated is your own inability to express what your actually trying to say.
And what philosophy exactly have you studied and how has it manifested 'visual change' in your life? What exactly have you dont with your life that has somehow made it more relevant to mankind since you opened a philosophy after a particularly thick rasta?
Please finish high school, then get back to me...
As for the other comments - you both admit that your study/interest in philosophy is purely for your own self-indulgence...
I actually ask this question for philosophical reasons. Why would one feel need to justify their need to wonder about the scheme of things - isnt it human nature for intelligent minds to do so?
Isnt the need to justify this demonstrate that deep-down it is self-indulgence? While children starve in africa/asia/south america you spend your endless spare time wondering about 'stuff' after a joint or two? You do it to make yourself feel better as you both state, ignoring the fact that your idle happiness has done nothing to illeviate the real problems in the world. The problems that require hard and constistant work to solve. Problems that actually matter.
As for Wicca - it wasnt a flame - it is factually evident that the modern religion of wiccas has no factual connection with any documented belief system of the past.

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2359135 - 02/20/04 11:43 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

We were given the ability to conceptualize, I don't understand how you can say we shouldn't use that ability.

Bullshit science? You seem bitter. It is hard for me to even know where to begin replying to you because your entire perspective on this seems sort of fucked... maybe you should light up a joint  :spliff:, sit down, and maybe do some deep thinking.

I don't even see how anyone decided what these "real problems" in the world are without thinking about it. But then again, I forgot, thinking is bad. And those who love to think and ponder have no right to do so. Silly me.  :rolleyes:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
    #2359162 - 02/20/04 11:49 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

HA!
Damn, I haven't been flamed in a while... thanks!  :grin:
Though maybe next time you'll hit closer to the target, as none of that applies to me.

I just get tired of seeing the same old Ivory Tower-borne existentialist nausea.
If you don't like something about the world... fucking DO something.
There's just too much talk around here and not enough action.

--------------------

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
    #2359187 - 02/20/04 11:57 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

You say that it is possible to visual change but dont quantify what exactly your making change to - do you mean your identity? Ego? How do you manifest visual changes to something that is inherantly invisible?

Changing your thoughts can (but does not always) result in a change in behavior. Behavior is visible/perceivable, right?

Quote:

As for the other comments - you both admit that your study/interest in philosophy is purely for your own self-indulgence...

Of course it is, most things a person does in his spare time are for self-indulgence.

Quote:

I actually ask this question for philosophical reasons. Why would one feel need to justify their need to wonder about the scheme of things - isnt it human nature for intelligent minds to do so?

Ahm... why would one feel the need to make people justify their need to wonder about the scheme of things?

Quote:

While children starve in africa/asia/south america you spend your endless spare time wondering about 'stuff' after a joint or two? You do it to make yourself feel better as you both state, ignoring the fact that your idle happiness has done nothing to illeviate the real problems in the world. The problems that require hard and constistant work to solve. Problems that actually matter.

Philosophy matters just as much as anything else does. A good cup of coffee in the morning can make all the difference in your life, as can a shroom trip, a doobie, a job, etc. Don't most people "waste" their spare time on things that "don't really matter"? What really does matter? Survival? Self-sufficiency? Self-realisation? Happiness?

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

InvisibletrendalM Happy Birthday!
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #2359211 - 02/20/04 12:04 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

You are treading on thin ice hear now, bluemeanie...

Watch the flames or you will be banned

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Re: philosophy the result of idol, bored & self-indulgent minds? [Re: trendal]
    #2359230 - 02/20/04 12:08 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Well don't ban him for flaming me...
Though I find it obnoxious, I'm not offended.

If being obnoxious were a crime, we all would have been banned from here at some point in time. hehe

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM Happy Birthday!
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: philosophy the result of idol, bored & self-indulgent minds? [Re: Sclorch]
    #2359238 - 02/20/04 12:12 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Lol, oh don't worry he's not even getting a "warning" for this :grin:

But I do want to make it clear to him that flaming isn't alowed in here. It is rule #1, after all :wink:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: philosophy the result of idol, bored & self- [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #2359288 - 02/20/04 12:30 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Hmmm, religion and philosophy have a strong connection. As an example, when you talk about christian religion, you also can associate something like christian philosophy.
Anyway, everything in life has a philosophical meaning, it's just one more face on the prism of reality.
Saying that philosophy is pointless is the same as saying thinking is pointless.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #2359308 - 02/20/04 12:37 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Mental masturbation is fun, disease free, and no tissues are required.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Anonymous

Re: philosophy the result of idol, bored & self-indulgent minds? [Re: Evolving]
    #2359743 - 02/20/04 02:15 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

you are all animals

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2359801 - 02/20/04 02:25 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I don't see philosophy as self-indulgent at all..

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineAtomisk
all forms areself awareness

Loc: jungle of love
    #2360073 - 02/20/04 03:23 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

i havent thought too much about philosophy being self-indulgent, but even if it is, so what?

--------------------
o house-builder! thou art seen. thou shalt build no house again. all thy rafters are broken. thy ridge-pole is shattered.

OfflinePHARMAKOS
addict
Re: philosophy the result of idol, bored & self-indulgent minds? [Re: Atomisk]
    #2360136 - 02/20/04 03:38 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Heres the way i see it
philosophy is the attempt to gain understanding of the world

now maybe no one has achieved that yet but philosopohy still has merit because

A. Just because a question has not been answerd yet, does not mean that no answer exists

B. Even if you never 'finish' the game you still benefit everytime you play it
that is total understanding of this universe may be beyond our simian minds, but every step closer to that goal benefits us

C. The wars and fuck ups of the past are not evidence that philosophy is a failure or useless, it is evidence that it is nescessary for our survival if we want to transcend animal brutality

Offlinenemesis
Stranger

Re: philosophy the result of idol, bored & self-indulgent mi [Re: PHARMAKOS]
    #2360175 - 02/20/04 03:47 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

"Laziness is the mother of all philosophy."

--------------------
May Peace and fellicity smile on those who seek it.

OfflineDzogchen
Clansman
Re: philosophy the result of idol, bored & self-indulgent mi [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #2360237 - 02/20/04 04:04 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Philosophy is the result of thinking about death and recognising your own mortality. Obviously you havent given it much thought!

We are all of one conciousness experiencing itself subjectively!!!

--------------------
There are more things in heaven and hell than there are in your philosophy!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag