Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleInto The Woods
Quarantine King
Male

Re: The witcher or elder scrolls? [Re: LuSiD9]
    #23575185 - 08/25/16 07:22 AM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Definitely not. It's an entirely open world RPG. 3.5 times the size of Skyrim (excluding Blood & Wine's Toussaint) Filled with hundreds of unique side-quests including monster contracts. You can stray off the beaten path and main questline as much as you like and spend hours and hours doing exploring. The main questline itself is considerably long and is choice/consequence based. There's something like 36 possible endings based on various decisions you make throughout the game that lead you into various possible avenues of the unfolding story which is lightyears ahead of the quality of storytelling in elder scrolls.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLa Flama Blanca
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: The witcher or elder scrolls? [Re: Into The Woods]
    #23575337 - 08/25/16 08:42 AM (7 years, 7 months ago)

well i loved the shit out of skyrim, but witcher 3 is wayyyyy better.(rightfully so- witcher 3 came out on next gen consoles, skyrim was last gen) one of the best games i've ever played without a doubt. the expansions, especially blood and wine, kick so much fuckin ass. the entire witcher series was great but they really smashed it out of the park with witcher 3. the elder scrolls games are a bit dated to go back and try to play now, even though i loved oblivion and skyrim.

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: The witcher or elder scrolls? [Re: La Flama Blanca]
    #23575894 - 08/25/16 12:08 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Witcher 3's half off on steam right now, so that may sway your decision for the next however long.

Offlinelogikal
POSIX Compliant
Re: The witcher or elder scrolls? [Re: Kryptos]
    #23586993 - 08/28/16 01:38 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

I think that the Witcher 3 was an amazing game and will always be in history as a genre-defining game. It's more story based, and revolves around dialogue choices actually impacting the story, and it seems to have done that as well as some of the old-school RPGs. On top of that it also is very modern, shiny, and just fucking fun. I liked the first two games, but TW3 is a fucking masterpiece.

I also have to say that Morrowind and Oblivion are masterpieces too. Skyrim is certainly good, but it really went away from the RPG genre and seems more like an action-adventure game. I think Oblivion is my favorite TES game, it has a good balance of RPG elements while still being fun to just pick up and play. Morrowind is very deep, but is dated and feels a bit slow and clunky (not that it's really a bad thing, it's still a great game).

I would recommend playing TW3 now because it's new and it's a bit more fun to play games when they're new, but don't pass up Oblivion and Morrowind if you are a fan of RPGs.

Seeing your list of games you liked I would recommend:
For Diablo-style games:

Path of Exile
Torchlight
Titan Quest
Grim Dawn

PoE is great if you liked D2 battle.net, Torchlight is fun-fun-fun but isn't really about the online. TQ and GD are made by the same people I'm pretty sure and are just solid games, single-player though.

Games like Portal:
Half-life
Half-life 2

They're great games by the same developer. They're not solely puzzle games (lots of shooting) but it's very heavily puzzle-based and it is amazingly done.

If you liked Starcraft give Warcraft a try. Starcraft and WC2 are about the same thing, albeit very different. WC3 was amazing too, nothing really like it.

If you're feeling a bit adventurous Dota 2 is a great game (made by the Portal people, Valve). It's kinda like SC or especially WC3 because DoTA was a mod for WC3, but it plays like League of Legends. It's not really the same as LoL, at all, but it's in the same genre.  Dota 2 is like SC in how competitive it is and how the skill-cap is a mile fucking high. Very "hardcore" and you might get frustrated at first, but it's worth it, so worth it, trust me :smile:.

InvisibleChemical Addiction
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The witcher or elder scrolls? [Re: logikal]
    #23587405 - 08/28/16 04:06 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

thanks for the recommendations, I have WC3 somewhere on disk, never played WOW because you have to (or had to) pay a monthly subscription. Before I downloaded Skyrim I was pondering getting the half-life games but for some reason decided not too. I will keep this thread in mind for down the road when I buy more games, maybe the X-mas sale that steam has.

I grew up playing Diablo and Diablo II which is why I bought D3, but that's not really the type of game I enjoy, the campaign was fun but I don't like how repetitive the game is once you've done the campaign, just farming for better items gets boring fast.

--------------------
Vegetation has crawled for miles towards the cities. It is waiting. Once the city is dead, the vegetation will cover it, will climb over the stones, grip them, search them, make them burst with its long black pincers; it will blind the holes and let its green paws hang over everything.
—Jean-Paul Sartre, Nausea

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: The witcher or elder scrolls? [Re: Chemical Addiction]
    #23587412 - 08/28/16 04:10 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

WoW and Warcraft are two very different things. One is an MMO, set in the world of the second, which is a straight RTS.

InvisibleChemical Addiction
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The witcher or elder scrolls? [Re: Kryptos]
    #23591064 - 08/29/16 06:13 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

So I finished The Witcher 2 and really enjoyed it, now it's time for number 3 :stoned:

--------------------
Vegetation has crawled for miles towards the cities. It is waiting. Once the city is dead, the vegetation will cover it, will climb over the stones, grip them, search them, make them burst with its long black pincers; it will blind the holes and let its green paws hang over everything.
—Jean-Paul Sartre, Nausea

InvisibleGeorge Sears
43rd President of the US
Male

Loc: New Mexico
    #23599598 - 08/31/16 11:47 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Chemical Addiction said:
So I finished The Witcher 2 and really enjoyed it, now it's time for number 3 :stoned:

Witcher sex scenes FTW! GOTY forever lol.
:heytherebadboy:

--------------------

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ★
    #23605215 - 09/02/16 03:51 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Chemical Addiction said:

All I can say is that 3 was so good I couldn't play 2.  Enjoy.

--------------------
                            :rainbowdrink: Tea doesn't work?                            AMU  (Q & A)                  Grain prep for Intergalactic Space Oats :pes:     

Coir-ca-cola
Jokes are funny until they're about you

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale