Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineInfiniteAdam
Pacifik
What ???? I have GRASS growing !!!!! ??????????????????????
    #2340927 - 02/16/04 12:05 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Hey !
I never saw anything like that before !
There is GRASS growing in my friend Straw/dung !!
I was completely astonished !! I saw a lot of different contaminants in the past, but never grass !! It is crazy !!
And i began to think about it and i figured out i need a little help !

1: How is it possible that grass is growing ??
I though grass needed light to grow, and there is absolutely no light in the room ! Almost no light i just realized. There is an humidifier which produces a tiny bit of light (the screen light).. Is that enough for some grass to grow ? I don't think so, especially because the Straw/dung is under a black plastic and the humifier isn't obviously under the plastic ..

2: What does that means ???
Does it means there is too much humidity in the straw/dung which could be possible because it happens in the container he misted the more because it was a little dry at the beggining, now it's a little too wet. ??
Or does that means he needs to pasteurise more his straw so the straw spores (hehe! it's called pollen, but i prefer the word "spores"!! haha!) ??

3: But anyway, is it gonna screw up all the thing ?? Is there gonna have grass growing all over the place and stealing all the substrate to the mycelium ? What should he do, how to fix it ??
He picked all the grass he saw like you remove weed (removed the root)on your lawn but he doesn't know what else to do ??

You should know too that the Straw/dung looks like 80% dung and 20% straw and the mycelium as been growing for a week before we saw the grass.. the grass grew in a day..

Thanks !!

--------------------
The world becomes a smile !

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineInfiniteAdam
Pacifik
Re: What ???? I have GRASS growing !!!!! ?????????????????????? [Re: InfiniteAdam]
    #2340969 - 02/16/04 12:14 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

A few things to add

1: He just told me he forgot the light on for a whole night five days ago.. He opens the light rougly 3 minutes every day to inspect, fan and mist.. But as i said it is under a black plastic ..

Morever, the air temperature is around 69F .. I know it is a little cold for mycelium growing but he can heat it to 75F yet because he doesn't have a heater or something like that .. Is it a temperature problem ??

Thanks !

--------------------

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Re: What ???? I have GRASS growing !!!!! ?????????????????????? [Re: InfiniteAdam]
    #2342908 - 02/16/04 07:09 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

How much grass is growing?

The only reason grass seed should survive is from inadequate pasteurization. The grass seed can germinate and grow to a certain point without very much light. If left in the same conditions, I would expect the grass to die out.

I had a plant germinate in some worm castings I used once.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

OfflineInfiniteAdam
Pacifik
    #2343046 - 02/16/04 07:41 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

He found 10 "pieces" of grass in a 2' x 2' container ..
It's not much but enough to get alarmed ..

--------------------

OfflinePooPs
What's thisfor???

Loc: Stirrin up the pile!
    #2350140 - 02/18/04 12:38 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I got the same thing happen too !

I made a " For the hell of it " casing, no pasteurization at all. just mixed straw. poop and grain, water and let it go.. no light..

The seed will sprout in absense of light, but won't grow very well, no light, no photosynthesis * spellin.g. ) but ..

I'm going to let it grow.. i figure why not ! it is a test casing after all !

fyi.

--------------------

-----------
Sniff, Sniff... What's that smell???... ohhhhh.!!
------------------

Pot Free for another : nevermind.. never made it..

OfflineInfiniteAdam
Pacifik
Re: What ???? I have GRASS growing !!!!! ?????????????????????? [Re: PooPs]
    #2351787 - 02/18/04 06:42 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

hehe
you must admit it's kind of surprising when you grow mushrooms and you get grass growing !!!

--------------------

OfflinePooPs
What's thisfor???

Loc: Stirrin up the pile!
    #2358439 - 02/20/04 08:15 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Well.. that casing just developed a case of the greens :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

and not the grass kind... ugh....

--------------------

-----------
Sniff, Sniff... What's that smell???... ohhhhh.!!
------------------

Pot Free for another : nevermind.. never made it..

Offlinetibberous
Stranger

#14125526 - 03/15/11 03:29 PM (13 years, 17 days ago)

Just to chime in, seeds only need water to start out - that's why you'll see people start weed between two paper towels, and also why most seeds are planted in the dirt, not sewn on top of it.

Offlinetanman1990
Intermediate Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Re: What ???? I have GRASS growing !!!!! ?????????????????????? [Re: tibberous]
    #14141539 - 03/18/11 03:48 AM (13 years, 14 days ago)

Wow, thats pretty abnormal, never heard of it before!

--------------------
My Current Bulk Monotub(3rd Flush UPDATE 10/10/11):
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/14973087

Disclaimer: I'm a liar and just want to prove how cool I am by pretending to grow mushroom. I've never done anything involving mycology in my life.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate