Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
Baraka
    #2353593 - 02/19/04 03:21 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

A few nights ago, I watched this movie called Baraka that my friend lent me, with a girl who was tripping on acid.  She got very emotional watching it, especially during the scenes of poor people when she cried.  I was trying to imagine what she was going through. She asked me, "Is there a story?"

"I dont know.  Maybe its the eyes of God".  She seemed to like that answer.

The camera is playing God as observer, watching various things that are occuring in the world.  What interests God?  The eyes glance around nature, then to busy streets for a moment, then to a wave flowing through rocks in the ocean.

God wanders about looking at religious ceremonies, and tribal dances.  As if these activities are meant to catch the attention of God.  The music plays along to Gods mood.  When the scenes are sped up, this is God looking through another perspective/dimension of time.

Is this a valid interpretation?

What do you think this movie is "about"?

:stash::bong:

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: Baraka [Re: pattern]
    #2354266 - 02/19/04 10:20 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I think this movie is about how ugly and absurd the modern/western lifestyle is in comparison to the old-school tribal ways of life.. I think its about how soceity has evolved into a very unhealthy organism.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Baraka [Re: Strumpling]
    #2354616 - 02/19/04 12:07 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

i think strumpling is on the right track but i think the message transcends comparison. i believe the overeaching theme is a search for beauty. i think that the director intended for each scene to portray beauty.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Re: Baraka [Re: debianlinux]
    #2354696 - 02/19/04 12:28 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I gathered that he was trying to show beauty in everything that wasn't of western influence....

All of the big metropolitan scenes seemed kind of ugly and chaotic compared to the peace and beauty implied by the other things shown

like that part where they're showing a pretty nice little town with all sorts of happy shit going on and right at the end it rumbles as a giant nasty plane flies right overhead, disturbing the peace IMO

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Baraka [Re: pattern]
    #2356747 - 02/19/04 08:10 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I think that it was showing the extreme diversity of "Earth"

but what everyone else said could still apply too... it could have many meanings..

--------------------

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Re: Baraka [Re: Shroomism]
    #2358680 - 02/20/04 09:16 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

If I were showing the extreme diversity of the Earth I wouldn't forget to add coral reefs and jungle life and stuff.. But it certainly got the diversity of MAN across well you're right

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order