Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Hygrometer, Perlite, Portable Greenhouse, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemattymick
The Magic Man
Loc: Buffalo, NY
Big Ideas : First Timer -value sacred mushroom-
    #2355948 - 02/19/04 07:17 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I have been laying some plans for my first project.  I have everything ready except for the fruiting chamber.  I have this idea of building a shelving system draped with incandecent/clear plastic w/ HEAT FAN underneath (1500W).  I'm wondering if I stearilize the environment as best as I can prior, and make sure the HEAT FAN is clean, does anyone foresee any problems?  I wonder about Gas Exchange but fan blows and takes "clean" air from outside.  As far as humidity I plan on using the underneath layer of perlite in my casings to help reinforce. Also should I use completely clear plastic or somewhat muted to stimulate more diffracted light.  Is that question completely useless? Can anyone give me some insight?  :beer:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineamyloid
Stranger
Re: Big Ideas : First Timer -value sacred mushroom- [Re: mattymick]
    #2355982 - 02/19/04 07:29 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

you dont need more diffracted light, the heat fan might make it too hot, (76f is opt.). this thing should be near air tight, adding a intake fan would be more helpful then an exhaust fan without an intake fan. with intake + outake being best. you are also going to need to use an ultrasonic humidifier to supplement the rh i think... the way you described the perilite layer makes it seem like its small, maybe if there was alot of layers of perilite, like a whole shelf with a 2" layer soaked, and a fan blowing on it, i think that would take care of the whole shelving system.

im only imagining alot of your details, be more specific, how big is this thing? im thinking 6 foot shelving units.

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2357262 - 02/20/04 01:48 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Ultrasonics are good for MISTING but they suck for cased trays to keep the humidity around 90%. They simply produce far excessive moisture for that purpose. For the idea fruiting chamber I recommend ultrasonics to be pulsed on for about 25 minutes every four hours or so. And then have a cool mist (disc that sends water against a comb) running all the time. The cool mist produces 98% or so humidity but no water droplets (mist). It is ideal for the purpose of keeping the humidity high and inroducing air flow.

The cool mist I am using is sold at Target's in the baby section. It is the Kaz unit that says "Vicks" on it. If you restrict the output and hook up a tubing of some sort, you may need to also place tape over most of the intake or else the unit will start dripping from excessive backpressure.

If you want to save money, ditch the ultrasonic all together and just mist by hand. Provide airflow and slightly less than 100% humidity by using a cool mist.

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
Re: Big Ideas : First Timer -value sacred mushroom- [Re: Blue Helix]
    #2359988 - 02/20/04 05:01 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

my cool mist humidifier produces no where near 98% rh. i still use it for air exchange though, for which it works nicely but there definitly is need for supplemental humidity.

i think im using the same cool mist humidifier, but i jammed 2 garden hoses (only one is in use, the other is sealed off) down the output hole and duct taped it shut, and am having no dripping problems.

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Big Ideas : First Timer -value sacred mushroom- [Re: amyloid]
    #2361111 - 02/20/04 10:47 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

As I stated in my other post, I used a calibrated digital hygrometer. It's a $20 unit, so I highly doubt it can be totally trusted. I will say that it seems reasonable. Even at 98% humidity, one should expect a bit of evaporation, in proportion to the air movement. I use a PC fan and see a tiny, tiny bit of evaporation, consistent with a very high humidity. I also restrict the output of my cool mist, which gives the unit more time per volume air to raise the humidity. I would bet money the output is well over 95% relative humidity by the time it leaves the unit because the output is highly restricted.

Offlinemattymick
The Magic Man
Re: Big Ideas : First Timer -value sacred mushroom- [Re: amyloid]
    #2361131 - 02/20/04 10:55 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

My plan right now is to have a 4' high system, six 4' planks, with 2 levels of 4' x 4' overlapped (one cutout) planks helicopter style (4 planks total). TWO sets of heli's 16" wide with one of the planks cutout so it's level
| |
| |
- - - -
- - - -
| |
| |

(above view)

Then connected together with 4 foot planks (height= 4 feet)

So draping the plastic over (clear) is not going to give it an air tight seal which is presumed needed? I understand the humidity level will be greatly enhanced by an air tight seal. I can't figure out where I would put such things as a humidifier in this system. Let's say I drape the plastic over my "ShroomChopper" system, seal it at the ground, I've got two inch layers of perlite in each casing (~6), seal in a heat fan at the bottom and run it every couple hours (I'll have to trial and error for temp specs before I go), and then build a vent into the top to release stale air every 36 hours. How's that sound? Thanks.

-Matt

Offlinemattymick
The Magic Man
Re: Big Ideas : First Timer -value sacred mushroom- [Re: Blue Helix]
    #2361140 - 02/20/04 10:57 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

...my overhead got cutoff..

| |
| |
- - - -
- - - -
| |
| |

Offlinemattymick
The Magic Man
    #2361151 - 02/20/04 10:59 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

one last try | |
............ | |
............ - - - -
............ - - - -
............ | |
............ | |

thoughts?

Offlinemattymick
The Magic Man
    #2361155 - 02/20/04 11:00 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

lol. know what I'm saying?

Offlinem0rb
mushroom mobster

Loc: New England
    #2361955 - 02/21/04 01:41 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

yup I do.... :smile:

my friend runs a setup like that, and uses a ultrasonic with great results. He has the output of the ultrasonic hooked to a pipe that come down through the roof of the "green house". He runs it on one of its lowest settings for 30mins in regular intervals throughout the day. This normally retains optimum humidity levels, and keeps things on the moist side... in a good way.

-m0rb-

--------------------
"The business of America is business," - Calvin Coolidge

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Hygrometer, Perlite, Portable Greenhouse, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology