Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Rooting cactus cuttings. Remove skin some way up too?
    #2355320 - 02/19/04 05:12 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

One of the arms on my pedro fell off this winter ( :sad:) so I prepared it as instructed and potted it.

I cut it with a knife an inch or so above where it broke off, giving it more area to root.  I applied rooting hormone to that and planted.  However to stabilize it, I burried it about 4 inches down, then used a couple of more inches of lava rock for even more stabilization.

It recently got knocked over by my dog,  and had begun rooting, but I wondered if if might be better served by skinning it up to near the top of the dirt, near the lava rock, so it would have more area with which to root.

At this stage, would it do more harm than good? 

Also, when that happened, since I was never happy with the soil conditions the original cactus was in anyway, I went ahead and repotted the other one as well.  It is fairly soft (a condition from overwatering right?), while the smaller repotted arm is pretty hard.  I only watered a few times over winter.  The were both this soft condition at first.

And when I repotted, I lost quite a bit of the original root structure.  Should I now began giving it a little food with root stimulator.  Temps in my area getting up to 65F + during the day.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefelixhigh
KIA
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
Re: Rooting cactus cuttings. Remove skin some way up too? [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #2355455 - 02/19/04 05:38 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

have you''ve been smoking some good ganja? =)
i don't think it makes much sense at all.
pedros send roots even from their tops, if it feels humidity coming that way...

FH

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

Re: Rooting cactus cuttings. Remove skin some way up too? [Re: felixhigh]
    #2355474 - 02/19/04 05:40 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, I know it will spontanteously root from there, but isn't it more inclined to root from an area that has callused over and had rooting hormone applied to it?

I'm just wondering if it will grow faster or healthier if I did that.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Offlinemegosh
    #2355831 - 02/19/04 06:52 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I've never had to use rooting hormone on any of my cuttings. I usually just wait until they are good and caloused and then keep in dry medium until roots are established. It's more likely they were soft because of a lack of water rather than over watering, unless you mean that the part of the cactus that was under ground was soft, if so, then yes, it stayed too wet too long.

Offlinefelixhigh
KIA
Male User Gallery

#2355968 - 02/19/04 07:24 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

if you're in such a hurry, i would suggest growing fungi rather than cacti!
i have also never used rooting hormones and when i did it, my cutting didn't like and got rotten so i had to cut it and let callous again...
they don't grow that slow pal! it's we that watch them every day or almost so, so they seem not to grow much. i took a look at some pictures of the last years and some of my cacti (including some trichs) have doubled of mass (sometimes more than double, others less) within a year time.
at least in my region they grow like this.

FH

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

Re: Rooting cactus cuttings. Remove skin some way up too? [Re: felixhigh]
    #2356073 - 02/19/04 07:50 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

First off, I'm in no hurry.

This is a pic of my cactus when I first bought it in July 03.

This is it now.

A good 7"-8" of growth.  And the zip ties on it in the second pic were to hold dowel rods because the cactus was falling over and about to break again.

If I were in such a hurry, don't you think it would be a little thinner now? :smirk:

I used the rooting hormone because when the arm fell off, and I made a post here, THAT IS WHAT I WAS TOLD TO DO.

I know that I can let it go as is, and it will still grow up and be a beautiful cactus.  I just thought that having more roots = better abilty to uptake nutrients and would make a healthier, faster growing cactus.  I don't need it to grow faster, but isn't this the forum for bringing up ideas that might improve our beloved entheogens ability to flourish?

You needn't be negative.  A simple explanation as to why this wouldn't be advised would be simple enough.

--------------------

Offlinefelixhigh
KIA
Male User Gallery

#2356311 - 02/19/04 08:39 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

please don't mind pal, i bitch all the time for the poorest reasons, it's actually some kind of subtle humor even if it seems a little dadaistically provocative sometimes. =)
some experiences in my life have torn me rather into a joker than the deep thinker i was solely...

anyways, regarding your plant, if you want to put it into full growth, full throttle ahead, i would suggest giving it a little more sun, it seems a little thin at the tops but not overly.
other things that i have used with lots of success - NPK foliar and in the soil (i've used 20-20-20) always, sporadically.
the foliar feeding shows the quickest results (just spray the NPK over the plant _during the night time, after the sun is well gone_).
for them to blossom, i've heard that the more neglected ones are the ones that blossom sooner... perhaps planting yours in the soil if possible in your area.

don't take me too seriously, never. i can be wrong, can't i?
or i may just be joking.

stay high my friend! you've got a beautiful plant...
good luck! i try to play the less i can with mine, take care or you might lose more time when you wanted to win time!

FH :devil:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden