Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
More pics of new species(last years pics)
    #629819 - 05/14/02 12:49 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Here are some pics of the new species from last year. I wanted to show how some of them do look like liberty caps, and some do have reddish color when they are fresh and not hygrophanously faded. I still think there is a good possibility they are Ps. mammillata.

LK,

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
Re: More pics of new species(last years pics) [Re: Lizard King]
    #629820 - 05/14/02 12:51 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

LK,

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #629879 - 05/14/02 02:43 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Hi Lk,
Just wrote a whole page here and it disappeared from the screen and my whole computer crashed. This is that stupid emachine with windows xp.

A lot of it is disgusting me.

Anyway I have to rethink what I wrote.

One yes, you have a new species of psilocybe. However it looks nothing like a liberty cap (P. semilanceata), in fact only one of you images is close to resembling a liberty cap and thats about it.

Some differences are of concern since you mentioned it resembled a liberty cap.

One the liberty caps cap never expands to plain or convex as does you mushrooms posted above. In fact the liberty caps cap's are elongated and yours are short. Your gills stick out with age after the cap opens to expand to convex and in one picture the cap is almost plain. This never occurs with a liberty cap whose cap never fully opens past a ccertain point. As seen in the two images posted in the next reply since I just lost this page for a third time.

The liberty cap is 90 percent incurved margin in the young and only opens up marginally.

AS for the stem, yours are reddish/chestnnut on some and/or whitish. And like all Psilocybe mushrooms they dry to a straw colored yellow which is normal in the genus Psilocybe. But your stems are also covered with white fibrils and the stems appear to stain extememly blue after handling and liberty caps very rarely ever get any bluing in them whatsoever.

The gill structures are also different than those of Psilocybe semilanceata (liberty cap). I noticed after the caps expand to convex and/opr plane the gills turn upward and outward at the edge of the cap but the gills in liberty caps are inside the cap which nevver opens more than a small amount.

Your shrooms are from soil and not manured soil and it appears they grow in deciduous woods in decayed matter rather than attaching theirselves to the roots of wild grasses as the liberty caps do..

I am also reposting two of your above images in this post and one below in the next post which I believe probably give a more correct color of the species.

and also two liberty cap images, both showing the rather elongated cap not expanding to convex or plain with age as yours do and a second image to point out the unique nipple associated with Psilocybe semilaceata.

Again congradulations on you find. Remember when you send them to Jochen to be sure to give him a good description of the main features and characteristics of your new species and the habitat, contents and surrounding trees or plants where you found them.

and

and

See next reply,

Mj

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: More pics of new species(last years pics) [Re: mjshroomer]
    #629892 - 05/14/02 02:56 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

and now a few liberty cap images

While the second shroom from the right in your image above the liberty caps has an umbo, it does not resemble the length pf the cap of the liberty cap with the above umbo and
observe the minute little nipple on the 2nd liberty cap image posted below. That nipple is a primary characteristic and/or feature of the liberty cap whereas your mushrooms have more of an umbo than a protrudiing nipple.

I'll post a few mor liberty caps for you to look at.

P.s.

I posted the P. mamilata sketches in your other post on this new species for you to compare with your species. They do not look like your mushroom. Again LK, you have a newly discovered species.

mj

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: More pics of new species(last years pics) [Re: mjshroomer]
    #629897 - 05/14/02 03:15 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

LK, also look at the gill structure of the top liberty cap cut in half and compare the tiers and structure to the gills on your above posted specimens. There is a lot of difference. To an untrained eye they could look the same.

Anyway, I had fun doing this but Like I said, sometimes when I type I hit a wrong key and lose everything. This time it was the emachine.

and

and one more image of the liberty cap form Amanita of The Royal Botanic Gardens in Scotland

one more this time from ITaly

As noted above, the caps never open up past the stage you see in these images. My photo above of the two witht he umbos rather than a nipple are an exception but rather rare. The cap in P. semilanceata is always incurved and yours as I noted expand.

It is kinda neat for me to distinguish the differences from species to species while I recognize they all have the same charactueristics within the genus to identify them to the PSilocybe family. After many years you can recognize the diferences.

I believe I showed that when I showed seveeal imaes resembleing cyanescens with caerulescens and a few other s and slso the differences of cultivaed shrooms vs naturally occurring shroms.

As I also said, the one lone shroom next to the reddish stemmed one (coloration is from the water in the mushroom mixing with the colors on the inside of the hollow stem) resembles a liberty cap but the liberty caps aee incurved when young but do not have frayed edges similar to a panaeolus species which is incurved in a young specimen.
Have a shroomy one LK. Keep em comin'

mj

InvisibleAIRDOG
Male User Gallery

Loc: world's shroom capital
    #630026 - 05/14/02 06:30 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

nhhhh they look delicious, they kinda resemble p. mexicana

congratulations on your find, i would love to find a new specie.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #631419 - 05/15/02 08:30 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Extraordinary Psilocybe findings.

You found them last year and now you are finding them this year in the same area.

Lizard, you should get some photos of farther away from the mushrooms (to show the overall habitat of where they are growing). I know i would like to see.

+I would never have the slightest clue where to look for weilii had the lizard not have shown me his own patch of them. (of which is a tiny dwarved forest of sweetgums and misquitoes, and those damn weiliis blend in sooo good!
I would be stareing at several of them not even noticeing them,
when the lizard is pointing them out left and right.
-Ill tell you, it aint easy to spot those weilii!~ heheh

Also, any word on the color of the spore print.
-I would assume they lay down a traditional dark purple/chocolate colored deposits..but,
-some Psilocybes have lighter and darker shade deposits
-even, as in "mr. g"'s new so-called Ps. martinesis, appears to be laying down prints that are more of a "light-violet" color.

.....again, im so damn Jealous of this!
And also very happy for ya dude!

Get plenty of spore prints and pictures and dried samples
and take down any details of description you can...otherwise you may never know what it is you found,
(probably a new Psilocybe species!)

They look very potent and yummy.

OfflineDewey024
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: More pics of new species(last years pics) [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #23544908 - 08/15/16 06:15 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

[image][url=http://files.shroomery.org/files/16-33/130637704-14713063559532082493063[/image] are these liberty caps

OfflineDewey024
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: More pics of new species(last years pics) [Re: Dewey024]
    #23544915 - 08/15/16 06:17 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

OfflineDewey024
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #23544920 - 08/15/16 06:19 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Are those liberty caps

OfflineSaunterer
Caged Elf

Loc: PNW
    #23544936 - 08/15/16 06:26 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

No sorry Dewy, Way off. You have a few non active species there. Do not consume.

Way to dig up a 14 yr old thread for this request.
Look into making a proper ID request next time, there's even a premade format for it.

InvisibleSilky_Johnson
last to leave the party
 User Gallery

Loc: is everything
    #23544959 - 08/15/16 06:30 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

no. nothing you have is an active species. instead of ressurecting a 15 year old thread you need to make your own ID thread.

--------------------
DustBunny said:
I've seen just about everything go down in a shed, but where I live most people have a shed or few.

"get cake, die young"

"i got love for a few, respect for a couple, but aint no fear in my heart for no man"

RIP Everything, thicker than blood, kid.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck