Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinecleaner
Stranger

Anihilating mighty ego
    #2353088 - 02/19/04 03:14 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I envy dolphins. Shut down their left brain and off they went basking, floating in ecstacy all they want. Easy.

I ask you how can human ego be so sneaky? I know all it creates is mortal illusion, i swear by my side that i will never follwo its dillusions ever again, i can feel its hurt but still lives, breathes heavily and shivers. Its like i know i am commited to my higher self yet , somewhere deep within my subconsiosness i can feel that i'm not 100% sure and decided, its like i'm still considering it on subconsious level and i cant quite put my finger to it yet. Dont get me wrong, i want to release it all and surrender to love, yet ego's grip is strong and it doesnt want to let go, pisses me off!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: Anihilating mighty ego [Re: cleaner]
    #2353448 - 02/19/04 04:13 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

face yourself then. If you wont let go, see why you wont, and then ask yourself if it matters or not... maybe then :wink: .

--------------------
What?

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #2353727 - 02/19/04 07:50 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

"I call it the Eenie-Weenie --- a squiggling little nucleus that is trying to make love to itself and can never quite get there..."
:wink:
(from: alan w watts: the joyous cosmology)

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

OfflineAtomisk
all forms areself awareness

Loc: jungle of love
    #2353750 - 02/19/04 08:17 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

why are so many people trying "anihilate" their egos. we are in this physical human form, why deny it. one may be able to learn from an "egoless" state, but that is not where we are for now.
the world can be seen as an inseperably iterrelated field or continuum, no part can be seperated from the rest, or valued above or below the rest. in this sense one is aware that fundamentally not one thing exists, things are terms not entities. they exist in the abstract world of thought, but not in the cncrete world of nature. thus, one who actually percieves or feels this to be so no longe feels that he is an ego, except by definition. ones ego is ones persona or social role, a somewhat arbitrary selection of experiences with which one has been taught to identify oneself. having seen this one continues to play ones social role without being taken in by it. one does not precipitately adopt a new role or play the role of having no role at all. play it cool

--------------------
o house-builder! thou art seen. thou shalt build no house again. all thy rafters are broken. thy ridge-pole is shattered.

Offlinepeleg
Gypsy
Loc: Christ Light
Re: Anihilating mighty ego [Re: Atomisk]
    #2353902 - 02/19/04 09:46 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

man i can totally relate denying yourself defitantliy has it's rewards what i struggle with here lately is motive or desire the seperation and it's like im being torn into by will, ya know? obiediance is the key here, and i can totally relate in getting angry at the situation and jus wanna throw my hands up and quit, bad temptations. jus another brother trying to make his way home.

--------------------
"Well the first days are the hardest days." When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.....

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: Anihilating mighty ego [Re: Atomisk]
    #2358216 - 02/20/04 08:19 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I agree with Atomisk - just because a bunch of stoners like us ate a larger than usual dose of mushrooms and suddenly felt an ecstasy that we have associated with the corresponding loss of our ego 'concept' doesnt demonstrate or prove in any way that this experience reflects the reality of the situation. Just because mushrooms or other powerful psychedelics suggest to our feeble minds that the physical human is a transient state - a formed ego of the perpetual and wholistic 'thing' that always existed outside time, does not mean that it is any more enlightening than a night reading the bible. Its is what your human mind and ego has conceptualised of the experience! The truth could be far different.
I take everything that relates to the humancondition with a pinch of salt - why would my psychedelic experiences be any different?
The human condition may have its ownn merit and reason - until we die we will never trully know or have any real insite into the grand scheme of things.

--------------------

OfflineThe_Visionaire
Torch

Loc: Indra's Net
Re: Anihilating mighty ego [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #2358862 - 02/20/04 12:13 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I see the ego as an accumulation of the past and a projection of the future. It needs time to survive. If all our attention is in the present the ego does not exist.
There is no reflection of the present, so if you start looking back at yourself as a reference system, you lose "the felt presence of immediate experience".

This self-referantial way of thinking is what makes us human. This self-referanciality is responsible for our abstraction of time and our intellectual development. It is what happened when Adam and Eve ate the apple of the Tree of Knowledge and they suddenly felt the need to cover themselves up. They had gained self-awareness (self-referanciality) and now looked at themselves as separate beings.

The question is whether the return to such a primordial state is desirable to attain?

I think it would mean the dissolution of sorrow and time-dependent pain. If you are totally in the present no problems really exist. Everything is just a process and you adapt and deal with this process as it progress.

Also I feel that when in such a state, I am penetrated by meaning, by deep knowledge and intelligence. And anyone who has really felt this way would not be taken by such arguments as blumeanie lays forth, "that just because you feel this way doesn`t mean that there is anything to it", implying that such a state is a drug-induced illusion.

But there is a jungle out there, and we have to adapt. A switch between ego and non-ego would have been useful. Psilocybin is sort of such a switch.

--------------------
There are no differences between men and gods,
one blends softly causal into the other.
-Frank Herbert, Dune.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Anihilating mighty ego [Re: The_Visionaire]
    #2359408 - 02/20/04 03:01 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

The_Visionaire said:
Also I feel that when in such a state, I am penetrated by meaning, by deep knowledge and intelligence. And anyone who has really felt this way would not be taken by such arguments as blumeanie lays forth, "that just because you feel this way doesn`t mean that there is anything to it", implying that such a state is a drug-induced illusion.

Exactly. Fuckin exactly!  :grin:

The ego is the individual perspective. Well, actually, nei (;)). The ego is the mental programming the feels that the individual perspective must be maintained and upheld. I mean, hell, it means well enough. It is doing what it thinks is right. And if you let it go unchecked, it will spread until it has control of your every action and thought.

Well, what is the purpose of the ego? It originally existed to continue our survival. It is a software intended to identify threats to our life and step in and control our actions to make sure our life stays protected. Scanning vibratory inputs continously in an effort to find any sign of a threat...

Well, no problem with that. We are all alive and we like to stay alive. No reason to die if there isn't a good enough reason to die. (wow, quite the sentence there,  :lol:).

See, there is a problem. The ego is given a lot of power because its purpose is pretty damned important. Think of a man with a lot of power in government, with his noble "cause". He views everything through the lens of "protecting freedom", and actually violates the concept of freedom to protect it. Meddles in other countries affairs, spys on its citizens... shitty stuff.

Anyways, we are clearly not in the same situation as we were way back in the day. Predators aren't looming behind every tree.. most of the threats on our life are avoided with common sense (don't walk out in traffic, etc.).

Well, there is still this ego. Through the lens of the ego, who, remember, has the sole purpose of identifying threats to the individual perspective and dictating your action (fight or flee, simply), everything could bring the end of us. We could be in a conversation and someone could disagree with us.. oh my, our individual perspective is being threatened! Our very life is at stake!  :laugh:

The ego is a paranoid freak who means well. The amount of power he has is how much we give him. Some people like to beat the hell out of people who disagree with them. Well, what the ego dictates as action doesn't have to be followed. The ego isn't a dictator at all. He's just a paranoid, right-wing, Christian extremist. What he says needs to be done is only done if the one who is actually in charge of making the decisions does so.

Well, that would be us. Of course, not a lot of us are very conscious of our mind and allow the ego to call the shots. Since the ego is only concerned with the protection and continuation of our individual perspective, and we are in a world full of human interaction, this obviously causes A HELL OF A LOT OF FUCKING PROBLEMS.

Of course, everyone has a different level of balance between ego and conscious thought and decision making. Some people barely have an ego at all and others have almost no conscious thought.. and every little gradient in between.

Basically, the ego is just a perspective with its own goals. It needs to be put out to pasture. Notice that doing so doesn't eliminate a sense of individual perspective. The ego is just the fucking freak who is extremely short-sighted and tries to protect the individual perspective. Any conscious person can do a better job making their decisions regarding their individual perspective better than a programmed set of thinking can....

Well, when there IS actually an immediate threat on one's or others lives, then THAT is the ego's time to shine! Hell, make a big parade of it, make the ego feel good about finally getting to do his thing, because you know he wants to feel good about it. :grin: In just about any other situation we are presented with, however, he is not needed.

And how do you put your well-meaning friend out to pasture? Well, he will show you the way. Start observing him. Watch his movements. Note the feelings he will make you feel. Figure out why he is doing what he is doing. Build an understanding of how he does his thing. He'll show you the way.

Oh, and buy the book Handbook to Higher Consciousness. No one has went so in depth about our friend than Mr. Ken Keyes Jr.  :lol:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlinecleaner
Stranger

Re: Anihilating mighty ego [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2360116 - 02/20/04 05:33 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Wise words everyone , unfortunately, like it was said here before i reached a point of no return and in my case the 'ego-left brain-the devil' combo has got to go before i can be free once again...

OfflineAtomisk
all forms areself awareness

Loc: jungle of love
    #2360336 - 02/20/04 06:28 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

umm, no

--------------------
o house-builder! thou art seen. thou shalt build no house again. all thy rafters are broken. thy ridge-pole is shattered.

Invisiblechunder
marker

Loc: The City
    #2360778 - 02/20/04 08:41 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I take everything that relates to the humancondition with a pinch of salt - why would my psychedelic experiences be any different?

I agree. The human body/mind is a very limited instrument with which to study the universe. While it is useful and worth while to construct complex models of reality in our minds, those models are no where near detailed enough to describe the unified field. Our range of experience on the infinte continuum of energy and information that is the universe is pretty fuckin small.

--------------------

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: Anihilating mighty ego [Re: chunder]
    #2362086 - 02/21/04 02:13 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Exactly. AND We can try and pretend that the illusion of ego destruction experienced during the psychedelic experience is somehow the ultimate answer and escape from the evils of the world which we can try and right-off as being the result of the 'ego' but its far to simplistic.
Its a warm fuzzy - its not me, its the ego and we should all try and attain a state beynd our egos where we will be free of all material wants and desires. Sure its a possibility, but te unfortunate truth and the truth that has kept sentient humanity alive is that the human condition requires an ego. atleast for this material stage of it. :smile:

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2362710 - 02/21/04 06:08 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

bluemeanie said:
Exactly. AND We can try and pretend that the illusion of ego destruction experienced during the psychedelic experience is somehow the ultimate answer and escape from the evils of the world which we can try and right-off as being the result of the 'ego' but its far to simplistic.

The ultimate escape? How much have you read into higher consciousness, really? Please give me your definition of the ego and what purpose it serves, and then we can discuss that some more.

Quote:

Its a warm fuzzy - its not me, its the ego and we should all try and attain a state beynd our egos where we will be free of all material wants and desires. Sure its a possibility, but te unfortunate truth and the truth that has kept sentient humanity alive is that the human condition requires an ego. atleast for this material stage of it. :smile:

I would like to know how you came to accept this "unfortunate truth". Like I said earlier, the ego isn't the individual perspective and it isn't a way of thinking that is required to function in the world. It is a complex whose SOLE purpose is the continuation of survival. It is something that ends up controlling a lot of our actions in the name of "survival" if we let it. Its like taking away Americans' personal freedoms and invading other countries pre-emptively to fight terrorism, really, something that pales in comparison to say cancer.

If you feel that you cannot live without your ego, fine, so be it. After all, it is your ego that is telling you that. However, just because YOU can't, and YOU can't comprehend how life could be lived without it, doesn't mean that others can't, and it doesn't mean that a lot of others already haven't put their ego in the retirement's home (most people haven't, a few have, and some are on the way. hehe).

All the ego is to be concerned with is immediate threats on our life. Since most of us are almost never faced with an immediate threat on our life, the ego isn't needed. When there IS an immediate threat on your life, then the ego can function and get you out of that situation with your survival continued. If your ego is invovled with any other aspect of your life, it is wasting energy and is blurring your perception of what is really going on, and is causing a lot of problems in your interactions with people and in your mind along the way. 
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang: