Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinellamaboy
the weasel thatsnagged the bee

Loc: Portland PNW
pan subbs
    #2345723 - 02/17/04 12:54 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

i know i'll prolly get flamed for this, but i couldn't find it on the search engine.

do pan subbs only grow on manured compost? or can they grow on any sort of compost. is manure absolutely important??

i know that they usuallly growed on manured compost, but i was hoping that it's not neccisary

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: pan subbs [Re: llamaboy]
    #2345760 - 02/17/04 01:01 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

http://mushroomjohn.com/panaoluskind1.htm

"Panaeolus subbalteatus is a cosmopolitan species found all over the world. It is common in the dung of cattle and composting hay and/or haystacks. Other habitats include lawns, open fields and riding stables. Its season extends from late February through early June and again in August and September. P. subbalteatus fruits abundantly in rotted haystacks in the Willamette Valley in Oregon."

google d00d, GOOGLE :tongue:

DH

Offlinellamaboy

Re: pan subbs [Re: spores]
    #2346017 - 02/17/04 01:56 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

but isn't it possible that everythign that you have just listed has some sort of manure in it? fresh lawns often have manure in it...stables will have manure around and hay compostings could very possibly have manure in it...what about grass and leave mulchings..could it be found in these areas? i'm sorry for the newb questions DH. and i did search

i just tend to avoid MJ's site for personal reasons. :P

Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Loc: At work, at school, at my...
    #2346168 - 02/17/04 02:47 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

yes look for manure/manured compost. I've found a few in a cattled area. damp and moist and shady, where they bed down. If you find them with no maured compost/manure.. let us know...

--------------------
My hunting partner is gone, I miss her so!

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #2346223 - 02/17/04 02:59 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

heh, don't worry about it, I was just fuckin around with ya... Posts like this are more bearable than the "Do teh shrumz gro hear?" threads that get posted here constantly...

pretty sure said haystacks were manure free, as hay is used as feed for livestock, and I think I recall someone from down south posting that they had subbs come up in a pile of lawn clippings awhile back. Leaf mulch doesn't sound like good habitat, but if it's mixed with other stuff it wouldn't surprise me much, they're weed mushrooms after all....

DH

Offlinellamaboy

Re: pan subbs [Re: spores]
    #2347263 - 02/17/04 06:55 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

that's cool to know...the reason that i ask is because the place that i work has a park behind it...and everything that they cut and clip and store is all in one big pile...it's prolly about 600-700 cubic feet of grasses leaves and just whatever...i was hoping to find some there later...during the winter i was finding coprinus all over there, so i know it's atleast conducive to some mushies.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #2347391 - 02/17/04 07:35 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Rotted hay in haystac lks left all winter to compost under tarps and blown away tarps. Not grass and leave piles.

They are really more rare in manure than one might think. You have Mitchnast in Novqa Scotia, GGreatOne234 in Florida who are the only two people I know who found a field of Panaeolus subbalteatus patch.

Joshua in Eugene Oregon found a large fruing in a public lawn in Eugene, ORegon and I do not think it came back again.

Angrysheroom has a large compost heap in North Central california which he can be sure will reproducce again.

ANd I have picked from normal haystacks with no manure in them at all, in a fruiting similar to Angryshrooms great score, and what fanstastic perfect pictures he took of those shrooms and they are posted in n my6 shroomery Ultimate field guide here at this site.

mj

btw, good luck

Offlinellamaboy

Re: pan subbs [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2347480 - 02/17/04 08:07 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

thank you for your replay MJ...i hope to have a good pan subb year...this will be my first year hunting for them. and thank you all for your replays

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
    #2347610 - 02/17/04 09:02 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

The Pan subbs I found were not in Eugene and they did fruit again, just not as prolifically.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

OfflineWiener
The Jesus

Loc: Portland, OR
Re: pan subbs [Re: Joshua]
    #2350023 - 02/18/04 12:14 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Seeing as how it's not worth it's own thread...would now be a good time to go down to the Eugene area and look for Pan Subbs? Because I've had the urge to go out hunting again ever since Ps. Cyanescens season closed. Or, should I wait until March? It's been raining for a few days now, and the temp is between 40 and 50 degrees on average.

--------------------
Happy Trails!

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Re: pan subbs [Re: Wiener]
    #2350253 - 02/18/04 01:00 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

No need to travel too far. This species has a wide habitat range and definately grows in the greater Portland area. Stables are an excellent location, just make sure you have permission to enter the property.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: pan subbs [Re: Wiener]
    #2350914 - 02/18/04 03:08 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Most likely you would find more P. subbalteatus in and around the Corvalis region of oregon along highway 99 west and 99 east between Corvalis and Junction City, Oregon or Monroe.; Look for giant bales of hay in that region. between now and May.

mj

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan Flag
    #2351396 - 02/18/04 04:55 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

......or less specifically, anwhere around that time in simmilar conditions.

in fact any time of year when its wet and above 10c degrees for weeks at a time anywhere in agricultural north america (pretty much)

careful tho, theres badgers!

badger badger badger badger mushroom mushroom.

OfflineDobie
Dopeless Hopefiend
Male User Gallery
Loc: ON DA BLOCK Flag
Re: pan subbs [Re: Mitchnast]
    #2351826 - 02/18/04 06:53 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

ohhhhhhhhhh its a snakeeeeeeee

--------------------
This place is gayer than when the balls touch

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

#2352296 - 02/18/04 08:46 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

That was what, 20 years ago? I looked for those bales of hay. I think the bats ate them. The shrooms have moved onto other areas.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: pan subbs [Re: Joshua]
    #2353643 - 02/19/04 04:12 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Joshua, those bales were there 9 years ago when Gartz and I went through the area. But then again they can stack them elsewhere but it wasn't just one location where they stored the hay all year long. There were many locations in Oregon int he Willamette Valley where there were haystacks.

Anyway, Sorry about the Eugene thing. I though you were in Eugene and that was where you found the Pans in the lawn.

mj

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds