Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
LAUGH HARDER DAMNIT!!
    #2351588 - 02/18/04 07:45 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Reasons to laugh:

Laughter reduces serum cortical (a hormone released during the stress response).

Laughter increases immunoglobin A (an antibody that helps fight upper respiratory disease).

Laughter increases tolerance to pain.

Laughter increases heart rate, pulse rate and ?juggles? the internal organs.

Why do we laugh?

The reasons we laugh, including "contagious" laughter, may be products of evolution.

Natural laughter is a two-part, spontaneous, response to humor, that has physiological, psychological, and physical benefits.

Most agree that we laugh when we find something to be humorous, yet different reasons exist for what we find to be humorous. Additionally, different things are humorous to us at different stages of life.

Laughter, a physiological response to humor, can be broken down into two parts.

The first is a set of gestures, and the second is the production of sound. The brain forces to conduct both responses simultaneously. From a physiological standpoint, a "sensor" in the brain responds to laughter by triggering other neural circuits in the brain, which, in turn, generate more laughter.

Oddly enough, laughter is an orderly response, and almost occurs "spontaneously" during pauses at the end of phrases, earning it the name the punctuation effect. Human beings are the only species capable of laughter, and the average adult does so approximately 17 times per day.

Good health is one of the many benefits of laughter. Laughter reduces our stress levels by reducing the level of stress hormones, and also helps us cope with serious illnesses.

Physiologically, laughter promotes healing, by lowering the blood pressure, and by increasing the vascular blood flow and the oxygenation of the blood.

Physical fitness stemming from laughter is a benefit known to few. Scientists estimate that laughing 100 times is equivalent to a 10-minute workout on a rowing machine, or to 15 minutes on a stationary exercise bike. The mere act of laughing exercises the diaphragm, as well as the abdominal, respiratory, facial, leg, and back muscles.

Another benefit of laughter is that it improves our over-all mental health. Pent up negative emotions, such as anger, fear, and sadness, can cause biochemical changes in our bodies that can produce a harmful effect.

Laughter provides a harmless outlet for these negative emotions, and provides a coping mechanism for dealing with difficult or stressful situations.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: LAUGH HARDER DAMNIT!! [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #2351804 - 02/18/04 08:48 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineDestruKtiKon
Embrace theChaos!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Here
    #2351847 - 02/18/04 08:58 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

He he, that cat is fuckn funny!

--------------------
Light & Music

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2351965 - 02/18/04 09:28 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

laughing kicks ass.

one evening I got a group of like 9 people to start laughing simply by doing it myself.. I started laughing, giggling, laughing uncontrolably, and a couple of my friends started laughing too, having no clue what I was laughing at but deciding to join in because I was enjoying myself so much..... within 30 seconds, everybody in the room was laughing, and several minutes later we were still going, all gasping for air and holding our stomaches going "STOP STOP!! STOP HAHAHAHAAHHAHAAAAAAAARRGHGHGHH STOP STOP IT! MY STOMACHE!" eventually we all settled down but rofl it was so awesome for a while

lol it was quite a workout :smile:

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
    #2352129 - 02/18/04 10:02 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Laughing is a social mechanism. It means "I'm not dumb, I got the joke too."

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: LAUGH HARDER DAMNIT!! [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2352209 - 02/18/04 10:21 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

SpecialEd said:
Laughing is a social mechanism.  It means "I'm not dumb, I got the joke too."

Well, you'll never hear me saying that...

:grin:

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: LAUGH HARDER DAMNIT!! [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2352369 - 02/18/04 11:08 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Offlinemanna_man
High onlife.....andcrack

Loc: Vancouver
    #2352410 - 02/18/04 11:23 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Hmmm, I find that most of my laughs these days are more series of nasal air puffs rather than a series of ha-ha-ha's. Does this count as laughing?

The only time I ever really have a good laugh is when I watch family guy, or when I'm with my friends. But those "good" laughs are pretty rare these days.

--------------------
This post is protected under copyrite law.All above content is strictly the property of ?manna_man.Any infringement of copyright property is strictly prohibited.Any violators will be stretched, shot, and then vaporized into a state of anti-matter, where they will cease to exist.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology