Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinevelho
 User Gallery

Loc: Finland Flag
Pholiotina cyanopus / Finland * 2
    #23511543 - 08/05/16 02:11 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Hi! After a few days of pouring rain, this happened on my front lawn.

Pholiotina cyanopus, I presume. Spore print in progress.

It was pretty hot and dry end of July, so not a lot mushroom activity happened for a couple of weeks. It has been raining now for a few days pretty much straight and nice things are starting to happen. :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineknarkkorven
Entheoholic
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sweden Flag
Re: Pholiotina cyanopus / Finland [Re: velho]
    #23511682 - 08/05/16 04:45 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Very nice! Still in your front yard?

:amusedapplause:

Offlinevelho
 User Gallery

Re: Pholiotina cyanopus / Finland [Re: knarkkorven]
    #23511703 - 08/05/16 05:05 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

knarkkorven said:
Very nice! Still in your front yard?

Thanks! Yea still there, hopefully more to come. :smile:
Panaeolinas are making their comeback also, so hoping for some more Cinctulus too! I smeared spore prints all over my yard and also buried a couple of Ph. cyanopus caps from two years ago in the places I've found them this year. No idea if it's gonna do anything, but I guess worth the try if they grow on my yard anyhow.

The odor is pretty damn strong for a such a small mushroom.

Offlinevelho
 User Gallery

#23517610 - 08/07/16 01:31 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

A couple of hasty and bad mobile photos from this morning. I counted ten or so specimens fruiting in my front yard.

Offlineknarkkorven
Entheoholic
Male User Gallery

#23517702 - 08/07/16 03:10 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Lovely blue stipe bases!

Offlinevelho
 User Gallery

#23517744 - 08/07/16 03:38 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Failed miserably while picking one of these, because they're so damn tiny and fragile. The last picture really shows the importance of base of the stem with this species.

Now I need to keep the missus and cats out of the yard, easier said than done heh. I've probably stepped over numerous specimens.

Offlineknarkkorven
Entheoholic
Male User Gallery

#23517858 - 08/07/16 05:23 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

I know what you mean with the fragile stipes. Some let go just fine, others just snap of even if you are gentle...

If you find small pins, please record how long it takes for them to grow up. It would be interesting to know.
I checked my Pholiotina spot last week but didn't see any.

Invisiblepan_hed
Stranger
 User Gallery

#23518031 - 08/07/16 07:38 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Jokes are not funny when they kill people.

Edited by Pastywhyte (08/07/16 05:32 PM)

Offlinevelho
 User Gallery

#23518774 - 08/07/16 12:28 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

knarkkorven said:
If you find small pins, please record how long it takes for them to grow up. It would be interesting to know.

I've been trying to catch some pins, but sometimes it's hard to spot even the mature ones. But what I've gathered a couple of days, maybe three from the smallest ones I've found and then the caps are opened to the bell or conical shape usually.

Here's some more.

OfflineST1R
•••mAGIc•••
Male User Gallery

#23522107 - 08/08/16 02:15 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

I need to search this specimen from Estonian. I'm pretty sure, that I've seen them.
Do you have any habitat pictures?

--------------------

Edited by ST1R (08/08/16 02:18 PM)

Offlineelprawn
Mushroom Guestimator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ilford, England
Trusted Identifier
Re: Pholiotina cyanopus / Finland [Re: ST1R]
    #23522251 - 08/08/16 03:30 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Cool find. I'd be too chickenshit to try them myself, but I kind of hate myself for that because then I become what makes me cringe when people tell me how dangerous mushrooms can be.

:cheers:

Offlinevelho
 User Gallery

Re: Pholiotina cyanopus / Finland [Re: ST1R]
    #23523734 - 08/08/16 11:59 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

elprawn said:
Cool find. I'd be too chickenshit to try them myself, but I kind of hate myself for that because then I become what makes me cringe when people tell me how dangerous mushrooms can be.

Thanks! I've been getting more confident with this mushroom due to possibility of following their life and I'm "lucky" to have other Conocybes fruiting on my yard aswell for live comparison. The differences are getting more obvious the more I handle them and the more I handle them, I've noticed that they don't really have almost anything in common with other Conocybe species I've encountered, other than being a little brown mushroom.
I'm not yet confident enough to try them either, but for some reason they don't scare me anymore as much as they did before. Hopefully I'll get some of these microscoped.

Quote:

ST1R said:
I need to search this specimen from Estonian. I'm pretty sure, that I've seen them.
Do you have any habitat pictures?

They might be there, who knows. They have been reported in the surrounding countries of Estonia I think and I don't know if they're as rare as considered. The biggest problem with this species, apart from the possible deadly poisonous look-a-likes, is the size I think. They are so small that you really have to get down to the grassroots level and even then it's hard to spot them and pick them up without losing the base of the stem, atleast on my current habitat. They're also guarded heavily by fire ants on my yard. :smile:
But I'll try to take some habitat photos later on.

I've been smelling some Conocybes lately and I think the odor of this species is really something worth noting. These smell incredibly strong, sweet and somewhat magical while the other Conocybes have had just normal dull, not so strong mushroomy odor. I opened a jar of my previous Pholiotina cyanopus finds from two years ago and the dried ones smelled like dried Psilocybe cubensis to me.
Can you smell the active indigrients in mushrooms? The smell just has something in common with other active species I've found in the past. Anyhow, I'm really starting to like their odor.

Edited by velho (08/09/16 01:23 AM)

Offlineknarkkorven
Entheoholic
Male User Gallery

#23523884 - 08/09/16 01:55 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I don't know if they're as rare as considered.

I consider them to be rare. Since 2011 when I found my first (after searching several years for them) I have searched for more spots and spent much time doing so. Liberty cap habitats of course, since they grew a couple of meters from some liberty caps flushing in massive amounts. But I also check normal lawns and along forest paths and places with wood chips since this also was present, and is present on other peoples pictures... But I haven't found them anywhere else yet. The reports of European active Pholiotinas are also very rare. When I found my P. smithii it was considered the first find in my country by a national expert commenting on Mushroom Observer.

So you are one of the few lucky people to have found it. The only think perhaps pointing in the direction of them being overseen is that you found then in your own lawn. You need to look around more in the neighborhood :wink:

Quote:

I've been smelling some Conocybes lately and I think the odor of this species is really something worth noting. These smell incredibly strong, sweet and somewhat magical

How is the smell compared with fresh Psilocybe semilanceata?

Offlinevelho
 User Gallery

#23523931 - 08/09/16 02:38 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

knarkkorven said:
How is the smell compared with fresh Psilocybe semilanceata?

Hard to describe, but it has the same sweetness in it's odor than fresh semilanceatas. But in my opinion Psilocybe semilanceata has more grassy than earthy mushroom smell, which probably how I'd describe the Pholiotina cyanopus odor. Just with extra sugar. :smile: I've also noticed the same sweetness on fresh Panaeolus cinctulus.

The habitats I've found them are old "farm sites" that have been pretty much inactive for decades and the wilderness has taken over the yard. The surrounding fields are still in use thought. Also found them a couple of years ago in a probably thousands of years old forest with lots of moss around. But anyway after a year of scything and lawn mowing, these mushrooms appeared. There's also a lot of that sphagnum moss around, which might have something to do with this mushroom as I recall you were also wondering in some other cyanopus observation. Atleast it has been growing on every place I've found these. Also some grass, clover and cow parsley or something similiar along with the moss observed. I've never found these in same habitat than Psilocybe semilanceatas in Finland.

But yea, I consider them rare also until I start finding them in other places too and in greater numbers. Not too keen on going to the neighbours lawn hehe.

Edited by velho (08/09/16 03:36 AM)

Offlinevelho
 User Gallery

#23526795 - 08/10/16 01:19 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

A couple of needles in a haystack from this morning. One on the right appeared during the night.

Habitat.

Offlineknarkkorven
Entheoholic
Male User Gallery

#23526860 - 08/10/16 01:47 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Good, keep track of those now :wink:

Offlinevelho
 User Gallery

#23526869 - 08/10/16 01:52 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

knarkkorven said:
Good, keep track of those now :wink:

Will do. :smile:

I'm getting a bit worried about the weather though. These things disappeared two years ago right after the warmer season in Finland was over.

OfflineAnglerfishM
hearing things
Male User Gallery

Loc: Norvegr Flag
Trusted Identifier
    #23527811 - 08/10/16 10:14 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

knarkkorven said:
Quote:

I don't know if they're as rare as considered.

I consider them to be rare.

I'd consider a possible correlation between the small number of finds and the (probable) lack of people
interested in the species. I mean - how many are out looking specifically for Pholiotina or Conocybe spp. in the
first place? Not many, I believe. The majority of hobby foragers are mostly interested in larger species, and in any
case they would need a microscope and good literature to be sure. Not many field guides provide more than two
or three of the most common species, at the most. As a comparison, I have a Norwegian field guide from the '70s
calling Panaeolina foenisecii a rare(!) species.

Then another question is - how habitat specific are they? Are they strictly a grassland species, or do they grow
in moss covered woods, for instance? Do they like grazing pastures, like P. semilanceata? How does one single
out "typical" P. cyanopus/smithii habitat?

--------------------

Offlineknarkkorven
Entheoholic
Male User Gallery

Re: Pholiotina cyanopus / Finland [Re: Anglerfish]
    #23528138 - 08/10/16 12:42 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

how many are out looking specifically for Pholiotina or Conocybe spp. in the first place?

Yeah, your probably correct about that. But I would presume a few people who actually was searching for other active species (like P. semilanceata) would pick them and ask for ID here or at other places. I have followed ID threads for >10 years, and it's very rarely seen. I mean, C. tenera and C. apala is probably a hundred times more common.

Quote:

I have a Norwegian field guide from the '70s calling Panaeolina foenisecii a rare(!) species.

Wow, I would say that's a very common species, found in many villa lawns, and very easy to spot. Could it been less common in Norway at that time?

Quote:

Then another question is - how habitat specific are they?

Good question. I guess we have to find the answers for this...
Have you found any yet Anglerfish?

OfflineAnglerfishM
hearing things
Male User Gallery

Loc: Norvegr Flag
Trusted Identifier
    #23528528 - 08/10/16 03:18 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

knarkkorven said:
Yeah, your probably correct about that. But I would presume a few people who actually was searching for other active species (like P. semilanceata) would pick them and ask for ID here or at other places. I have followed ID threads for >10 years, and it's very rarely seen. I mean, C. tenera and C. apala is probably a hundred times more common.

Point is - how many, even on this forum, are out actively hunting for these species? I mean, most people tend to hunt for the
more common psychoactive species. There is a very marginal amount of attention towards the less commonly hunted species - or
at least that is my impression.

Quote:

Wow, I would say that's a very common species, found in many villa lawns, and very easy to spot. Could it been less common in Norway at that time?

Oh no, that field guide is just uneducated in that respect. I mentioned it just to compare with the lacking awareness to the
species in question. Unless, of course, P. foenisecii was indeed rare in the '60s or '70s. I doubt that somehow, though.

Quote:

Have you found any yet Anglerfish?

Not as I know of. Again, I haven't really pursued the task too seriously. Mainly because I haven't got that much spare time on
my hands, and what is available for mushroom hunting is occupied by hunting for edibles and of course P. semilanceata.

There are very few reported finds of active Pholiotina sp. in Norway. Not more than ten altogether. So far, that is.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies