Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
The Alliance and Coalition Sue Government
    #2349973 - 02/18/04 01:59 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Congress Censors Drug Policy Reformers

Help Support Our Lawsuit Against the Government!!!

Congress recently passed a law muzzling our right to speak out for drug policy reform. Now, with your help, we are fighting to win back that right.

A full house of local and national media turned out at the National Press Club today to hear that the Drug Policy Alliance, ACLU, Change the Climate, and Marijuana Policy Project are filing a lawsuit against the federal government and the Washington, D.C. transit system. Our lawsuit charges that the D.C. transit system rejected an ad by our coalition because of a new federal law, promoted by Representative Ernest Istook (R-OK), that suppresses free speech. The law prohibits federal funding to any local transit authority that accepts and displays an ad criticizing the government's drug policy. Our forbidden ad, which the D.C. transit system rejected last week, states the facts about the government's severe and wasteful marijuana laws.

Already 10,000 of you helped the Alliance's campaign against this government censorship by faxing your Representatives and Senators in Congress. Thank you! Now that we're filing the lawsuit, we need your help again. It's not cheap to beat the federal government in court!!! Please make a donation here. (Contributions to support our litigation efforts, as opposed to lobbying, are tax-deductible.)

Istook's amendment, which was included in the huge FY 2004 omnibus spending bill, directs Congress to deny federal funds to local transit authorities that display advertisements promoting "the legalization or medical use of any substance listed in schedule I...of the Controlled Substances Act" - including marijuana. The same law also hands over $145 million in taxpayer money for pro-'War on Drugs' advertising - especially anti-marijuana campaigns.

Think what the government is doing! They're throwing our taxpayer dollars down the drain on ineffective and offensive drug war propaganda while prohibiting our ability to promote alternatives to current government policies. But, with your support, we're not going to let the government get away with this blatant violation of our First Amendment rights.

Support the Drug Policy Alliance and our partners as we take the government to court. Help to protect the Constitution and ensure that Americans hear from all sides on drug policy reform issues!!! Please make a tax-deductible donation here.

Click here to see the banned ad.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineShroomyMcPot
Male

Loc: TX
Re: The Alliance and Coalition Sue Government [Re: silversoul7]
    #2350642 - 02/18/04 04:13 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I just donated $20. I'm not going to get anything in the mail am I? I would rather not have pro-drug stuff coming to my mail box as I live in a very small very conservative town and it wouldnt be good for me.

OfflineShroomyMcPot
Male

Loc: TX
    #2350682 - 02/18/04 04:19 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

i also printed off about 12 copies of that ad and am going to post them around the dorms

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2350740 - 02/18/04 04:31 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

yes sue those fucks

I'd like to keep my first amendment, please.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion