Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
looks like a draft is on the horizons
    #2333560 - 02/14/04 03:54 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

what do you guys think?

28 million has been added to the 2004 Selective Service System (SSS)
budget to prepare for a military draft that could start as early as
June 15, 2005. SSS must report to Bush on March 31, 2005 that the
system, which has lain dormant for decades, is ready for activation.
Please see website: www.sss.gov/perfplan_fy2004.html

Annual Performance Plan - Fiscal Year 2004.
The Pentagon has quietly begun a public campaign to fill all 10,350
draft board positions and 11,070 appeals board slots nationwide..
Though this is an unpopular election year topic, military experts and
influential members of Congress are suggesting that if Rumsfeld's
prediction of a "long, hard slog" in Iraq and Afghanistan [and a
permanent state of war on "terrorism"] proves accurate, the U.S. may
have no choice but to draft.
www.informationclearinghouse.info/article5146.htm

Congress brought twin bills, S. 89 and H.R. 163 forward this year,
entitled the Universal National Service Act of 2003, "To provide for
the common defense by requiring that all young persons [age 18--26] in
the United States, including women, perform a period of military
service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the
national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes." These
active bills currently sit in the Committee on Armed Services.

Dodging the draft will be more difficult than those from the Vietnam
era remember. College and Canada will not be options. In December 2001,
Canada and the US signed a "Smart Border Declaration," which could be
used to keep would-be draft dodgers in. Signed by Canada's Minister of
Foreign Affairs, John Manley, and US Homeland Security Director, Gov.
Tom Ridge, the declaration involves a 30-point plan which implements,
among other things, a "pre-clearance agreement" of people entering and
departing each country. Reforms aimed at making the draft more
equitable along gender and class lines also eliminates higher education
as a shelter. Underclassmen would only be able to postpone service
until the end of their current semester. Seniors would have until the
end of the academic year.

*This article by Adam Stutz is from the "What's Hot Off the Press"
column of the newsletter of Project Censored, a media research group at
Sonoma State University that tracks the news published in
independent journals and newsletters. From these, Project Censored
compiles an annual list (more than 20 years running) of 25 news stories
of social significance that have been overlooked,
under-reported, or self-censored by the country's major national news
media. The mission of Project Censored is "to educate people about the
role of independent journalism in a democratic society and to tell The
News That Didn't Make the News and why."

"What's Hot Off the Press" includes student synopses of articles
currently being investigated for inclusion in the next Project
Censored report. For more info and/or to receive Project Censored's
newsletter, go to www.projectcensored.org

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinegreenhaze
one toke overthe line

Loc: the severed garden
Re: looks like a draft is on the horizons [Re: kaiowas]
    #2335427 - 02/14/04 06:58 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

i don't know man...i could easily be wrong, but with the technology we have, i just don't see the U.S. ever having another draft...but that's an interesting article

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
    #2335486 - 02/14/04 07:23 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

they wont need a draught...continuing high unemployment and underemployment will push more ppl into the military...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2348452 - 02/18/04 01:15 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

what a fucking nightmare I'm awakening into

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Offlinetrev
comming out of retirement
 User Gallery

Loc: Aussie
Re: looks like a draft is on the horizons [Re: greenhaze]
    #2348471 - 02/18/04 01:26 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Technology

Well whos going to provide the man power requred to carry out everything that needs to be done?

--------------------

Anonymous #14
[quote]There are billions of people on this planet. The world does not revolve around the united states, moron. I hope terrorists crash their collective cocks into your asshole. [/quote]

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
Re: looks like a draft is on the horizons [Re: trev]
    #2348605 - 02/18/04 02:18 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

noo way.. there won't be a draft.
there just isn't the man power needed for trench and frontline warfare anymore.
They definitely wouldn't hold a draft to get manpower to run our fancy technology... the only purpose of a draft is for common infantry, and that's not needed as much anymore.
but, as said above, still an interesting read.

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: looks like a draft is on the horizons [Re: Blastrid]
    #2348930 - 02/18/04 05:42 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

A war in N Korea would probably need a lot more infantry. It's all jungle there :wink:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
Re: looks like a draft is on the horizons [Re: Strumpling]
    #2348943 - 02/18/04 05:48 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Annapurna1, you are completly right. I will probably have to join up after college because there is no way I will be able to pay off my loans. I don't even have a job right now. They can't draft me though since I'm not a citizen.

--------------------

http://www.myspace.com/4th25

"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: looks like a draft is on the horizons [Re: trendal]
    #2349239 - 02/18/04 08:29 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

don't forget hints being dropped for iran and syria as well.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #2350651 - 02/18/04 02:14 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

well iran and syria from what I understand are much more like Iraq and Afghanistan where its desert and holes.

Jungle, IE North Korea, is much different....

fuckin A man if I get drafted, I'm outta here - THIS IS A DISGRACE, SENDING TROOPS TO DIE FOR BIG BUSINESS.

Our corporate slavery system is bad enough, now they're going to MAKE us fight for this dumbass system we were born out of? FUCK THAT DUDE! I mean I enjoy living here, I really do, and that's how its supposed to be here, but I feel that being a business slave is enough payback for this country, I'm not willing to shed blood to support the spread of US values and lifestyles

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

#2351100 - 02/18/04 03:48 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

But dude, we pay for shit twice all the time! For instance, most media. Not only do we have to pay for the magazine off the rack or the price of the movie ticket or the cable television, but then we have to look at all the fucking ads! We pay the media distributers than we pay again by being subjected to advertising. Bullshit?

But you're right. Why should we have to pay twice for something we never really asked for or even wanted for that matter? Although, we don't have to be business slaves. That is a lie propagated by the self-loathing. But it sure is tough to be free from the cogs of the machine.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Re: looks like a draft is on the horizons [Re: Viveka]
    #2351425 - 02/18/04 05:04 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

"Although, we don't have to be business slaves."

its either be a fuckin bum, be a starving artist, get the fuck outta here, be a slave, or be a slave-driver.

I'm not sure if there are many other options - please enlighten me

--------------------

Anonymous

#2351436 - 02/18/04 05:06 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

aw... come now... the drug war for one opens up fantastic avenues for self-employment for those so inclined.  :wink:

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #2353944 - 02/19/04 08:03 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Strumpling writes:

its either be a fuckin bum, be a starving artist, get the fuck outta here, be a slave, or be a slave-driver.

WTF?

What's wrong with getting a job?

I worked many jobs when I lived in Canada, and apart from the fact that the Canadian government seizes about fifty per cent more of your money than the American government does, there's little difference between working in either country.

I worked at no job where I was a slave, nor at one where I was a slave driver.

pinky

--------------------

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Re: looks like a draft is on the horizons [Re: Phred]
    #2354274 - 02/19/04 10:22 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I guess we've got different views

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #2354378 - 02/19/04 10:53 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

More likely different definitions.

pinky

--------------------

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
    #2357413 - 02/20/04 12:25 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Reforms aimed at making the draft more
equitable along gender and class lines also eliminates higher education
as a shelter. Underclassmen would only be able to postpone service
until the end of their current semester. Seniors would have until the
end of the academic year.

I guess education isn't one of his top priorities.

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
    #2358806 - 02/20/04 09:55 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

no, im sure its veiws.

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

Invisiblejp411896
AsteroidsChampeen
 User Gallery

Loc: No idea
    #2362549 - 02/21/04 02:08 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I've been largely keeping my anti-war and anti-bush griping to myself for the sake of not ending up with a post count of over 20,000 by the end of the year but this one I can't keep to myself.  As usual, it has become obvious that perhaps saving things up like this isn't the best ideas.  I'll learn.

This draft has to be a sick joke, though after reading 3 different stories I see just how close it might be.  None of these wars really have the first thing to do with the security of our country.  How do they intend to institute a draft when national security isn't hanging in the balance and everybody knows it?  If they can't entice enough people to join through
incentives then I think they have no business fighting elective wars!  I'm safe from being sent by at least a matter of months, but my wife isn't.  Does marriage grant an exemption?  If she were pulled out of college for more than a year she would never finish and I'm sure she isn't the only student facing this situation.  How could they even intend to send women out to fight via draft when they aren't even safe from their own countrymen (I'm refering to all the female soldiers filing rape charges)?  I hope this draft is only a slight
possibility and never makes it through congress because my wife is the only person in this world that really means anything to me, I truely and completely love her, and I wouldn't want to live in this world without her so I will absolutely not stand for having her taken from me, pulled out of college when she is this close to finishing, having her future ruined, and being made to fight a war that she absolutely is against in the first place in an environment where rape at the hands of fellow soldiers (saying nothing
of the opposition) is a real possibility (and she, like many women, has an extreme fear of rape).  I'm not looking for any sympathy from anybody here and I know as far as disagreeing with the draft I'm preaching to the choir.  I'm just wondering out loud how anybody from the government could possibly think that any of this sounds like a good idea or that anybody is going to go along with it (of course, watch my wonderful fellow Americans prove me wrong.)  God help this country if this happens and the people that are drafted just go along with it.

On a side note, although it's hard for me to think of anything else now and I'm definately going to lose sleep until I find out more about this draft, what about the job market?  The baby boomers started retiring this year and the vast majority of employees in a lot of professions such as engineering are going to retire in the next 10 years.  Virtually nobody has been graduating with these degrees in the last 10-20 years.  If the government intends to pull people out of school, then this is going to disrupt the few people working on these degrees or capable of filling in technical positions and there won't be nearly enough qualified people to go around.  Let's not forget that funding for schools is being sharply cut (so the money could be given to the military if memory serves) which means that tuition has skyrocketed and is going to even further decrease the number of people able to go to college when they get back from fighting. 

-ok, fair warning.  at this point I'm getting sleepy so here comes the tinfoil hat-

I say that the people that have been claiming that George Bush intends to purposely destroy the economy and run the country into the ground, as insane as it seems, simply have got to be correct.  Either that or GW sees the military in the same way that children see real time strategy games for the
computer and is entirely blind to the economy or the realness of the situation.  I suppose one more possibility remains and that is that he is just one of those people that because somebody always dug him out of any mess he was in, never learned any real responsibility and now there's nobody to save him from the mess he's gotten the whole country into.  Fitting enough, since it's gotten to become the American way of never acting responsibly, waiting for somebody else to
dig you out, and always shifting the blame.  The moment he took office, there were massive budget shifts toward the military (a good deal more than the military was even asking for which makes me wonder what he knew that the military didn't) at the expense of many other budgets and we started breaching treaties such as the anti-ballistic missile treaty.  Then 9-11 happened (at one hell of a convenient time) and he started launching wars left and right, unjustified and unsupported.  Now he's gearing up for something REALLY big if this goes through.  Ladies and gentlemen, we have a
madman in office.  Who wants to bet against the possibility that people that are drafted and get domestic assignments end up assigned to conduct martial law?  Once that happens, would it be too late to stand up and say someting?

So when exactly would be a good time to leave so that one can get out before they close the gates as is stated in the main article?  I was already planning on leaving ASAP, but it's looking like it should really be sooner.  I'm not just
interested in rescuing my wife from military service, I'm developing an intense hatrid for my government for a million different reasons, mainly their desire to grab power and dictate every aspect of everyone's life, both citizen and otherwise.  It's truly been awhile since I've seen any good
intentions shining through.  I can't even get pain medication prescribed to me for my severe headaches so that I can live my life normally which should be one of the most well-protected rights there are.  I'm suffering, out of work, and losing everything I have due to money problems and for no logical reason whatsoever.  (which I'm sure comes as a surprise considering my nonchalant demeanor :wink:  I'm only living for my wife right now and they aren't going to take her.  People used to always say "how could you possibly ever find a better country to live in?"  Well, any country that lets
me take pain medication for pain instead of denying me medication at tremendous cost to my well-being and doesn't
try to dictate its own rediculous morals to the whole rest of the world when it has enourmous problems of its own...well I guess that's almost any country BESIDES this one. 

Well, Off to bed so I can get up nice and early and edit the hell out of this before it catches fire.  :laugh:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom