Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibletdubz
Male User Gallery

Judge Orders Yahoo to Explain How It Recovered ‘Deleted’ Emails in Drugs Case
    #23471129 - 07/24/16 12:39 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

https://motherboard.vice.com/read/judge-orders-yahoo-to-explain-how-it-recovered-deleted-emails-in-drugs-case

A judge has ordered Yahoo to present a witness and provide documents explaining how the company handles supposedly deleted emails.

The move comes in the appeal case of a drug trafficker who was convicted, in part, because of emails Yahoo provided to law enforcement that conspirators believed had been deleted.

Defense lawyers in the case claim that six months of deleted emails were recovered—something which Yahoo's policies state is not possible. The defense therefore speculates that the emails may have instead been collected by real-time interception or an NSA surveillance program.

United States Magistrate Judge Maria-Elena James, from a San Francisco court, granted the defense's motion for discovery in an order filed on Wednesday.

The case revolves around Russell Knaggs, from Yorkshire, England, and a single Yahoo mail account. In 2009, Knaggs orchestrated a plan to import five tonnes of cocaine from South America. At the time, Knaggs was already serving a 16-year prison sentence for another drug crime.

As part of the operation, a collaborator in Colombia would log into the email account “slimjim25@ymail.com” and write a draft email. An accomplice based in Europe would then read the message, delete it from both the “draft” and “trash” folders, and write his own draft, in an effort not to leave behind any messages that could later be read by law enforcement.

The defense alleges there should have been nothing for law enforcement to find
Sukhdev Thumber, a solicitor representing Knaggs in the UK proceedings, previously told Motherboard that the pair would sometimes simply remove the text in the draft with the backspace key, rather than deleting the email. Knaggs didn't actually use the account himself.

After receiving requests from UK police and the FBI in September 2009 and April 2010, Yahoo created several “snapshots” of the email account, preserving its contents at the time—and revealing the messages. But the defense alleges there should have been nothing for law enforcement to find.

Yahoo's explanation is that the recovered emails were copies created by the email service's “auto-save” feature, which saves data in case of a loss of connectivity, for example. The company has filed several declarations from a number of its staff, but the defense said some of those contradicted each other, and it wants more information.

The defense requested a half-day deposition and a wide range of documents related to the design of Yahoo's email and retention system, a copy of the retention software source code, and instruction manuals for the peripheral equipment that was used to retrieve the emails.

But Yahoo has described the request as a “fishing expedition” and “unreasonably intrusive.” Judge James agreed somewhat, and instead ordered the company to release a more limited list of documents, and prepare a witness to talk about specific topics, relating only to the email account in question. If necessary, the documents will be filed under a protective order.

Yahoo has until August 31 to produce a witness for the deposition and provide any documents.

Thumber from the defense told Motherboard in an email, "We are very pleased with the Judge's decision who was able to see the obvious contradictions and problems with Yahoo's explanations. Once we obtain the material, the same will be reviewed in order to advance our UK appeal."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMorel Guy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Judge Orders Yahoo to Explain How It Recovered ‘Deleted’ Emails in Drugs Case [Re: tdubz]
    #23471631 - 07/24/16 08:22 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

5 tons is a lot.  Alphabet agencies are very interested in large amounts of drugs being imported.  Wouldn't be surprised at all if nsa CIA Dia or anyone else were using their advantages to target a citizen.

Offlinenuentoter
conduit
Male User Gallery

Re: Judge Orders Yahoo to Explain How It Recovered ‘Deleted’ Emails in Drugs Case [Re: Morel Guy]
    #23473838 - 07/24/16 09:52 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Fucking shit practices on Yahoo's behalf. At the library we regularly purge all transaction history of books after 1 year. All public internet logs are kept for 2 months only because we are obligated follow up on internet infractions like kids using our fiber optic get torrents and shit. The less we keep track of the less we are liable for. Yahoo should honor the concept of "delete" from personal emails and of they did they wouldn't be under question as a company.

You hear that Google?

/Rant

I apologize but it irks me to no end.

--------------------

The geometry of us is no chance. We are antennae, we are tuning forks, we are receiver and transmitters of all energy. We are more than we know.  - @entheolove

"I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way - things I had no words for"  - Georgia O'Keefe

I think the word is vagina

OfflineMorel Guy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Judge Orders Yahoo to Explain How It Recovered ‘Deleted’ Emails in Drugs Case [Re: nuentoter]
    #23475863 - 07/25/16 03:28 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

nuentoter said:
Fucking shit practices on Yahoo's behalf. At the library we regularly purge all transaction history of books after 1 year. All public internet logs are kept for 2 months only because we are obligated follow up on internet infractions like kids using our fiber optic get torrents and shit. The less we keep track of the less we are liable for. Yahoo should honor the concept of "delete" from personal emails and of they did they wouldn't be under question as a company.

You hear that Google?

/Rant

I apologize but it irks me to no end.

If I recall correctly it was all a cover for 'real time' spying.  It's something that's more concerning to people.  I think I am a person that usually over estimates the spies ability.

Invisibletdubz
Male User Gallery

Re: Judge Orders Yahoo to Explain How It Recovered ‘Deleted’ Emails in Drugs Case [Re: Morel Guy]
    #23476091 - 07/25/16 04:58 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Yes. Real time interception is indeed a thing.

OfflineMorel Guy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Judge Orders Yahoo to Explain How It Recovered ‘Deleted’ Emails in Drugs Case [Re: tdubz]
    #23476101 - 07/25/16 05:00 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

tdubz said:
Yes. Real time interception is indeed a thing.

I think that's why my IP addy is set in stone anymore.  So it's easier to spy on me and if I use TOR.  I don't even know if they would have a good reason to do that.  I only knew a convicted rapist that had been in CIA buildings and the white house.  (before the rape that I'm aware of).

Invisibletdubz
Male User Gallery

#23476166 - 07/25/16 05:19 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

I like how when you delete a message from your  gmail account it says "are you sure you want to do, this it will be deleted FOREVER."

OfflineMorel Guy
Stranger
 User Gallery

#23476222 - 07/25/16 05:36 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

tdubz said:
I like how when you delete a message from your  gmail account it says "are you sure you want to do, this it will be deleted FOREVER."

Not even hushmail has an encrypted delete service.  It would likely get some legal heat if there was a service that good.

Offlinenuentoter
conduit
Male User Gallery

#23478057 - 07/26/16 08:40 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

That is why bridged connections to tor are important. Also things like using a pawn shop laptop paid in cash running tails from USB only at public wifi spots is imperative for secrecy.

--------------------

The geometry of us is no chance. We are antennae, we are tuning forks, we are receiver and transmitters of all energy. We are more than we know.  - @entheolove

"I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way - things I had no words for"  - Georgia O'Keefe

OfflineMorel Guy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Judge Orders Yahoo to Explain How It Recovered ‘Deleted’ Emails in Drugs Case [Re: nuentoter]
    #23478060 - 07/26/16 08:42 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Seems any connection can be traced.  If someone looks hard enough and the person making the patterns repeats often.

Offlinenuentoter
conduit
Male User Gallery

#23478118 - 07/26/16 09:10 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

True, I think the biggest hole in security in these regards is, human. The tendency to find what works and stick with it. Which gives tendency for creating patterns. Regardless of electronic measures taken, if you always use McDonald's wireless in the afternoon to do your questionable tasks, you created a pattern that no software will hide.

--------------------

OfflineMorel Guy
Stranger
 User Gallery

#23478721 - 07/26/16 01:21 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

nuentoter said:
True, I think the biggest hole in security in these regards is, human. The tendency to find what works and stick with it. Which gives tendency for creating patterns. Regardless of electronic measures taken, if you always use McDonald's wireless in the afternoon to do your questionable tasks, you created a pattern that no software will hide.

Hijacking satellite service would be about the safest but I know like nothing at all about these things.  Say something fell out of a back of a military truck with a code book.

Offlinenuentoter
conduit
Male User Gallery

Re: Judge Orders Yahoo to Explain How It Recovered ‘Deleted’ Emails in Drugs Case [Re: Morel Guy] * 1
    #23479155 - 07/26/16 03:38 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Safest way is most likely what i said, a laptop bought with cash preferably from a person to person sale like a garage or yard sale, if not then a pawn shop, but in a pawn shop there is usually at the least a security camera. Then wipe the HDD using the DoD 5220.22-M method, or something similar. Throw the HDD away or burn it. Get a copy of TAILS os installed onto a cheap USB and run a live version of this on the laptop with no HDD. Cheap usb's can be destroyed easily. Within tails make sure you spoof your mac address, running tor in bridge mode and only from public wifi spots that are busy. Making mental lists of all the public or unsecured wifi spots around and using random ones in random order at irregular time intervals will keep you relatively safe.

That laptop should never ever have any personal information ever typed on it by you. Never visit any website you would normally visit from this laptop (like the shroomery or gmail or something else stupid). this laptop should be treated as if it belongs to your alternate personality who knows nothing of your primary personality.

wherever you logon to the internet (never a friends of families or neighbors) ensure that you are hidden from camera's or at least your visible identity is obfuscated in some way.

things like sitting at the outside tables at mcdonals instead of inside, with your back to the restaurant (I hate even calling them that) provide an extra layer to your privacy.

run everything through a VPN paid for with gift cards bought with cash. obviously when buying things cash you will want to either disguise yourself OR get some kid to do it for you in exchange for 5 bucks or a pack of cigarettes or something.

STAY SAFE

--------------------

Invisibletdubz
Male User Gallery

#23479159 - 07/26/16 03:41 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Damn that's some crazy tactics just to be hidden on the net.

Offlinenuentoter
conduit
Male User Gallery

#23479170 - 07/26/16 03:46 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

depends what you do online.

--------------------

OfflineCamwritesgonzo
The Unflushable Stool
Male User Gallery

Loc: On Uranus Flag
    #23479747 - 07/26/16 07:13 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

tdubz said:
The move comes in the appeal case of a drug trafficker who was convicted, in part, because of emails Yahoo provided to law enforcement that conspirators believed had been deleted.

Bullshit, it came in the appeal of Hitlarry Clitton. She may be a cunt-nugget, but don't try to bullshit the bullshitters.

--------------------
"I've always maintained that reality is for those who can't face drugs."-Tom Waits
"I feel the same way about disco as I feel about herpes."-Hunter S. Thompson
A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?

Invisibletdubz
Male User Gallery

Re: Judge Orders Yahoo to Explain How It Recovered ‘Deleted’ Emails in Drugs Case [Re: Camwritesgonzo]
    #23480811 - 07/26/16 11:53 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

I see what your saying, but Clinton doesn't really have anything to do with yahoo or an opinion on the article.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies