Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offliner05c03
The Slug Scourge
Loc: Indiana, US
Store oysters
    #1231165 - 01/19/03 11:44 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

All the P. ostreatus strains that I play with are one I collected from around where I live. Today however I bought some oyster mushrooms at the store so that I could obtain a strain from a commercially sold strain. It was interesting to not that very end of the stipe was some of the substrate on which the mushrrom was grown. It seemed to be composed of sawdust and millet. That is all. In general how well have you guys found store derived strains to perfom?

--------------------
Listen! Do you smell something?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMushMushi
Loc: Canada
Re: Store oysters [Re: r05c03]
    #1231203 - 01/19/03 12:01 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I've cloned a Pleurotus ostreatus from the grocery store... It colonises agar and rye very quick and the mycelium looks very nice... But because of my newbiness/intelectual abilities/etc I didn't know how to fruit it.

Invisiblepsyconaut
NASA trainedpsychonaut
Loc: The Great White North
    #1235708 - 01/21/03 05:00 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Oysters are such rampant beasts that you'll probably have a good degree of success. Your milage might vary with other strains.

I'd be a little pissed if I bought mushies from the store with substrate attached! I mean, you're paying by the ounce! :wink:

-psy

--------------------
It may look like a button mushroom right now, but wait until you see how it grows!

Offliner05c03
The Slug Scourge
Re: Store oysters [Re: psyconaut]
    #1247922 - 01/25/03 11:11 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

interesting. It seems as that the strain represented by the store bought oyster that I cloned grows really slow. Much slower than any of the oysters I have collected from around here. It took 3 days to even see a little fuzzy growth from the sporocarp. there does not to appear to be any contams.

--------------------

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
    #1253026 - 01/27/03 10:02 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Could have been an old sample, no? Hard to tell when they're harvested - when storebought.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#1253221 - 01/27/03 10:44 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

An interesting thing to compare would be the performance of 'store strains' on various types of agar. Certainly there are cycles of strain selection for commerical crops, and this involves agar/defined media. Would a P. ostreatus fruit that had been selected through several generations/transfers on PDA show different growth when 'suddenly' cloned onto MEA [compared to wild]? Perhaps a few transfers will equilibrate the growth rates of the different cultures somewhat; There is a lot of variability amongst Pleurotus in general, though, Stamets has a few words on that.

There was a rumor, to this day I can't find evidence supporting it though it sounds plausable, that commercial strains were also selected for that were difficult to clone. The commercial interests would favor this, but I couldn't find any substantiated references to this.

InvisibleG a n j a
Pictish and proud
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
    #1253276 - 01/27/03 10:56 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I just tryed cloning onto agar (PDA)with peroxide.
I tryed shop bought Shiitake and Hericium erinaceus
and home grown agaricus bisporus.The agaricus bisporus
were the only ones that took :frown: the others were to old i think.

--------------------
er

InvisibleMushMushi
Loc: Canada
Re: Store oysters [Re: G a n j a]
    #1253443 - 01/27/03 12:06 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

To this day, I have sucessfully cloned shiitake, king oyster and pleurotus from grocery store...

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
Re: Store oysters [Re: G a n j a]
    #1254434 - 01/28/03 05:10 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

your shop sells lions mane? lucky bastard!

we do get chanterelle's though, however at 35$ a lb, it's pretty costly.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

Offliner05c03
The Slug Scourge
Re: Store oysters [Re: Suntzu]
    #1255308 - 01/28/03 09:49 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I use PDA supplemented with peptoe, yeast extrace, and oatmeal to make it more complex. Yeah, I suppose substrate equilibration (so to speak) might be the cause. I forgot to check it today, but even as of yesterday it was barely just making its way on to the agar. Every other strain I have collected would have covered the plate by now. We'll see if it picks up.

As far as growers selecting strains that are hard to clone, it may be so, but my gut feeling is that they would save more money by not spending the time and materials on trying to select difficult to clone isolates than they would to small time growers that managed to clone their isolate. May tho' they are afrain of other larger growers. How knows, but i like conspiracies.

--------------------

InvisibleMilletV
--intransition--

Loc: Rockies
    #1256666 - 01/28/03 06:17 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

You might try to transfer it to agar that contains a bit of sawdust (1-2 grams) and a pinch or so of ground millet. If that is what it grew on it should have enzymes in place to run the agar rapidly.

Offlineanthiawe
friendly stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Store oysters [Re: Millet]
    #23470208 - 07/23/16 06:31 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

store oysters always look so terrible! might as well get some culture from a trade

--------------------
TEK compendium

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Loc: Texas
Re: Store oysters [Re: anthiawe]
    #23471584 - 07/24/16 07:50 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

That's because oyster mushrooms have a short shelf life, you really need to cook them within a couple of days of harvesting or let them dry in paper bags.  Plastic packaging is probably the worst option, one of our local growers sells oysters on shrink-wrapped foam cards and they're already turning mushy by the time they hit store shelves.

If you want an oyster that does well in packaging and has a long shelf life stick with eryngii or nebrodensis if you can find a culture.  They are selling mycopia 'white nebrodi oysters' at one of the local whole foods here, I should take a tissue culture...

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

Invisibleweetsie
unlicensed tub surgeon
 User Gallery

Loc: United Kingdom Flag
Re: Store oysters [Re: Suntzu]
    #23471717 - 07/24/16 09:06 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Suntzu said:
There was a rumor, to this day I can't find evidence supporting it though it sounds plausable, that commercial strains were also selected for that were difficult to clone.  The commercial interests would favor this, but I couldn't find any substantiated references to this.   

Doesn't sound that plausible to me, the only people that would care to clone store bought mushrooms would be amateur hobbyists so I don't see it being of any use to them. I don't see how they would even go about it, is difficultly to clone not more of a species specific thing? I can't imagine any oyster or shiitake being hard to clone.

--------------------
Active grow logs: Oysters on Straw Pellets
Trade list

Offlineshroombasa
Sojourner
 User Gallery

Loc: 'Merka
Re: Store oysters [Re: weetsie]
    #23471899 - 07/24/16 10:29 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

13 year old thread

--------------------
Trade list

Peace and long life.

Invisibleweetsie
unlicensed tub surgeon
 User Gallery

Re: Store oysters [Re: shroombasa]
    #23472027 - 07/24/16 11:25 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

yeah I know, I saw him bump like 10 threads in a row. :grin:

--------------------
Trade list

Offlinedrake89
Mushroom Magnate
Male User Gallery

Loc: TN
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Store oysters [Re: Paresthesia]
    #23472218 - 07/24/16 12:23 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Paresthesia said:
That's because oyster mushrooms have a short shelf life, you really need to cook them within a couple of days of harvesting or let them dry in paper bags.  Plastic packaging is probably the worst option, one of our local growers sells oysters on shrink-wrapped foam cards and they're already turning mushy by the time they hit store shelves.

If you want an oyster that does well in packaging and has a long shelf life stick with eryngii or nebrodensis if you can find a culture.  They are selling mycopia 'white nebrodi oysters' at one of the local whole foods here, I should take a tissue culture...

They're really hard for me to fruit even from a good culture.  Some kind of temp or other trigger is needed.  Or im really unlucky XD

But yeah those bottle grown mush are paged under artifical atmosphere so they can last up to 4 weeks in the fridge.

--------------------
Fiery Fungi (like us on faeboo)

Offlineinvitro

Re: Store oysters [Re: drake89]
    #23472331 - 07/24/16 01:14 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

drake89 said:
But yeah those bottle grown mush are paged under artifical atmosphere so they can last up to 4 weeks in the fridge.

what does paged under artificial atmosphere mean?

Invisibleweetsie
unlicensed tub surgeon
 User Gallery

Re: Store oysters [Re: invitro]
    #23472343 - 07/24/16 01:20 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

maybe the same co/co2/n mix they use for meat to keep it red and fresh.

--------------------
Trade list

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Loc: Texas
Re: Store oysters [Re: invitro]
    #23474529 - 07/25/16 06:09 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

I am not completely sure but probably similar to the way bagged lettuce if packaged.  http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/vacuum-packing-foods-nitrogen-zmaz99aszsto.aspx

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale