Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Diversity? We're for it - as long as it's not intellectual
    #2345864 - 02/17/04 01:22 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/040223/opinion/23john.htm

What do y'all think of this kind of proposed legislation?

I realize it's a shame that such a proposal is needed at all, but how else is one to turn the centers of indoctrination back into the centers of education they once were?

pinky

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Diversity? We're for it - as long as it's not intellectu [Re: Phred]
    #2345896 - 02/17/04 01:28 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I know that many who post here attend American Universities. Here's a site which may interest those who are in favor of intellectual diversity in their universities rather than being indoctrinated day after day by professors with their own agendas -- usually completely unrelated to the courseware.

I took a brief look through some of the comments. It's nothing new to me, but it may be to some of you. It's worth a look, in my opinion. Maybe some of you may even add an evaluation or two of your own.

http://www.noindoctrination.org/view.shtml

pinky

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Diversity? We're for it - as long as it's not intellectual [Re: Phred]
    #2345898 - 02/17/04 01:29 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

"White Power... ACTIVATE!!!

Whoooooooooooooossssshhhhhhhhh.....

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2345962 - 02/17/04 01:43 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

pinksharkmark said:
I realize it's a shame that such a proposal is needed at all, but how else is one to turn the centers of indoctrination back into the centers of education they once were?

Education has ALWAYS gone hand-in-hand with indoctrination, as I explained a while back in another thread. However, I agree that all sides should be heard. I've had many professors that try to be even-handed by saying what their biases are and trying to explain the other side's point of view, but of course that's just not the same.

However, I feel that a lot of the discrepancy in political views is often due to the field in which a certain professor works. For example, you're far more likely to have right-leaning professors if you're a business or economics major than if you're majoring in one of the humanities.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineTheOneYouKnow
addict
Re: Diversity? We're for it - as long as it's not intellectual [Re: silversoul7]
    #2346214 - 02/17/04 02:58 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
Education has ALWAYS gone hand-in-hand with indoctrination, as I explained a while back in another thread. However, I agree that all sides should be heard. I've had many professors that try to be even-handed by saying what their biases are and trying to explain the other side's point of view, but of course that's just not the same.

Seeing your belief system, I'd say that somewhere along the line you recieved more than a healthy dose of communist indoctrination ;-)
Quote:

However, I feel that a lot of the discrepancy in political views is often due to the field in which a certain professor works. For example, you're far more likely to have right-leaning professors if you're a business or economics major than if you're majoring in one of the humanities.

I like the leftist professors, I've proven most of mine wrong a number of times, even had to fight it through the dean one time when a lefty wanted me "removed from the classroom" because my views were "detremental to education". Needless to say, I stayed, and constantly proved him wrong.

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
    #2346220 - 02/17/04 02:59 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Perhaps there are just more intelligent people on the left? Otherwise how would things have gotten so unbalanced in the first place? :smirk:

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: Diversity? We're for it - as long as it's not intellectual [Re: TheOneYouKnow]
    #2346309 - 02/17/04 03:19 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

TheOneYouKnow said:
Quote:

silversoul7 said:

Seeing your belief system, I'd say that somewhere along the line you recieved more than a healthy dose of communist indoctrination ;-)

That's funny, cuz I'm not a communist, nor have any of my professors been communist. Sure, most of my professors are leftists, but most of them have been fairly open to diverse opinions as well.

Quote:

Quote:

I like the leftist professors, I've proven most of mine wrong a number of times, even had to fight it through the dean one time when a lefty wanted me "removed from the classroom" because my views were "detremental to education". Needless to say, I stayed, and constantly proved him wrong.

I'd like to see that. Did you really prove them wrong, or just contradict them?

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Diversity? We're for it - as long as it's not intellectual [Re: silversoul7]
    #2346318 - 02/17/04 03:21 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

It's not at all hard to prove a leftist wrong.

It happens here every day.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: Diversity? We're for it - as long as it's not intellectual [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2346337 - 02/17/04 03:26 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I suppose you're referring to facts and statistics, which are the only things that can really be proven wrong, in which case it's just as easy to prove a conservative wrong, depending on the person. Political views are subjective, and therefore cannot be proven right or wrong.

--------------------

OfflineTheOneYouKnow
addict
    #2346348 - 02/17/04 03:28 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
I suppose you're referring to facts and statistics, which are the only things that can really be proven wrong, in which case it's just as easy to prove a conservative wrong, depending on the person. Political views are subjective, and therefore cannot be proven right or wrong.

Views are based on something. For example, LearyFan believed that his little animated gif was going to blow the lid off of the whole conspiracy to kill Kennedy because it showed a bullet entering the front of the head. He was wrong. I can't change his opinion, but I can show him that his factual observation was incorrect. If someone wants to be wrong, that is their right.

Liberals tend to be more "emotion"-based, rather than fact-based, so, in my opinion, it's much easier to prove them wrong.

Invisiblemuhurgle
Turtles all theway down

#2346349 - 02/17/04 03:28 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

The lack of right wingers in academic institutions is clearly the result of a lefty conspiracy. What other explanations could there be?

--------------------
"To make this mundane world sublime
Take half a gram of phanerothyme."

Aldous Huxley

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: Diversity? We're for it - as long as it's not intellectual [Re: TheOneYouKnow]
    #2346359 - 02/17/04 03:31 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Liberals tend to be more "emotion"-based, rather than fact-based, so, in my opinion, it's much easier to prove them wrong.

I disagree. Support for the death penalty is very emotion-based, as is opposition to abortion. BTW, if someone's views were emotion-based, I would think that that would make it harder, not easier, to prove them wrong, as you can't disprove someone's emotions.

--------------------

OfflineTheOneYouKnow
addict
    #2346397 - 02/17/04 03:41 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
Quote:

I disagree.  Support for the death penalty is very emotion-based, as is opposition to abortion.  BTW, if someone's views were emotion-based, I would think that that would make it harder, not easier, to prove them wrong, as you can't disprove someone's emotions.

A liberal would say, despite tons of proof otherwise, that blacks and whites are "equal".  This is emotion - based thinking.

I, on the other hand, would say that blacks and whites are equal only in their humanity. After that, I would say that each race has unique characterists that make them more or less suited to particular abilities, and facts would back me up.  I'm sure that your PCbias emotion-backed thinking will try to prove me wrong on this, but I'm factually correct, and your bleeding heart wants you to be correct, despite facts to the contrary.

I don't mean "you" specifically in those "you"'s just PC brainwashed liberals as a whole :smile:

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#2346581 - 02/17/04 04:14 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

First of all, society has fortunately progressed to the point where only the most extreme rightwingers would disagree that black people and white people are equal, except maybe over what is meant by "equal." And I would say that you are confusing race with ethnicity. A black person who is adopted by white parents is likely to act like a white person. It has nothing to do with their skin color. It has to do with their upbringing.

--------------------

OfflineTheOneYouKnow
addict
Re: Diversity? We're for it - as long as it's not intellectu [Re: silversoul7]
    #2346592 - 02/17/04 04:16 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Here is you, talking

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
First of all, society has fortunately progressed to the point where only the most extreme rightwingers would disagree that black people and white people are equal, except maybe over what is meant by "equal." And I would say that you are confusing race with ethnicity. A black person who is adopted by white parents is likely to act like a white person. It has nothing to do with their skin color. It has to do with their upbringing.

Here is what I hear...

EmotionEmotionEmotionEmotionEmotionEmotionEmotionEmotion

Edited by pinksharkmark (02/18/04 03:08 AM)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#2346600 - 02/17/04 04:17 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Put a few spaces in that string.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#2346616 - 02/17/04 04:19 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

So it's emotion if you disagree? :lol:

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#2346618 - 02/17/04 04:19 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Only feeble brainwashed minds do not realize that all have the same potential. Many just fail to take advantage of that potential. After all.... it's far easier to "blame whitey"!

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Diversity? We're for it - as long as it's not intellectual [Re: GazzBut]
    #2346790 - 02/17/04 04:50 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

GazzBut said:
Perhaps there are just more intelligent people on the left? Otherwise how would things have gotten so unbalanced in the first place? :smirk:

Those than can't, teach. Those that can, do.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Anonymous

Re: Diversity? We're for it - as long as it's not intellectu [Re: silversoul7]
    #2346811 - 02/17/04 04:53 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I disagree. Support for the death penalty is very emotion-based, as is opposition to abortion. BTW, if someone's views were emotion-based, I would think that that would make it harder, not easier, to prove them wrong, as you can't disprove someone's emotions.

emotions don't seek to prove anything, which is why they can't be disproven. they don't need to be logically sound because they aren't logical.

i'm going to have to disagree with you about the death penalty. i see a lot of emotion on both sides, and some reason on each side as well.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom