Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Sensible Seeds Shop: Feminized Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: Plato and hallucinogens [Re: Silversoul]
    #12150579 - 03/05/10 07:50 PM (14 years, 17 days ago)

Quote:

Silversoul said:
Quote:

c0sm0nautt said:
Wasn't the Oracle at Delphi all hopped up on something too?

I think archeologists have determined there was some sort of gas leak at the Oracle's temple at Delphi.  I think it may have been ether.

Actually, geological surveys have failed to detect any kind of 'vapors' emanating from fissures at Delphi. As to ether, ethyl ether is produced by the distillation of ethyl alcohol with sulphuric acid, which pulls the water out of the ethanol, resulting in ether. Of petroleum ether, I am not certain, but neither can be naturally occurring geochemical products as far as I know.

Added 07/22/2016:  http://www.seeker.com/how-did-the-oracle-at-delphi-really-prophesize-1766097281.html

http://pythiaofdelphi.weebly.com/the-oracles-ethylene.html

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Edited by MarkostheGnostic (07/22/16 11:50 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Plato and hallucinogens [Re: Kickle]
    #12151174 - 03/05/10 10:09 PM (14 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Kickle said:
Did Apollo's disappearance in the winter have anything to do with a certain hallucinogen not being present? Really you could just BS me on this, cause I've never heard this connection before.

I'm not aware of any myth regarding Apollo disappearing during the winter.  Are you thinking of Persephone?

--------------------

OfflineKickleM
Wanderer
 User Gallery

#12151248 - 03/05/10 10:21 PM (14 years, 16 days ago)

Nope.

During the winter, no one could go to the Oracle at Delphi for council from Apollo, because Apollo went to the North. Instead, Dionysus would be in town.

"Apollo shared the sanctuary at Delphi with Dionysus. Every fall Apollo departed for his winter quarters in the land of the Hyperboreans (a distant fabulous land in the North), returning in the spring. During his absence the Pythia did not deliver oracles, and Dionysus ruled over Delphi."

Offlinesoldatheero
lastirishman
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Plato and hallucinogens [Re: Kickle]
    #12152956 - 03/06/10 09:59 AM (14 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Actually, geological surveys have failed to detect any kind of 'vapors' emanating from fissures at Delphi. As to ether, ethyl ether is produced by the distillation of ethyl alcohol with sulphuric acid, which pulls the water out of the ethanol, resulting in ether. Of petroleum ether, I am not certain, but neither can be naturally occurring geochemical products as far as I know.

Yeah your right. Silversoul you think they just accidently continuously got high without realizing it or some shit? These greeks were not stupid.

--------------------
..and may the zelda theme song be with you at all times, amen.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Plato and hallucinogens [Re: soldatheero]
    #12152984 - 03/06/10 10:09 AM (14 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

soldatheero said:
Quote:

Yeah your right. Silversoul you think they just accidently continuously got high without realizing it or some shit? These greeks were not stupid.

If there were vapors, that is not to say that it was accidental.

--------------------

Offlinesoldatheero
lastirishman
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #12153031 - 03/06/10 10:23 AM (14 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

I think archeologists have determined there was some sort of gas leak at the Oracle's temple at Delphi.  I think it may have been ether.

O.K but so you know there was no accident the oracle likely got high, went into a trance and foretold the future.

--------------------
..and may the zelda theme song be with you at all times, amen.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #12156122 - 03/06/10 08:53 PM (14 years, 16 days ago)

Ah...women have been getting 'the vapors' for centuries. Hysteria is Greek for 'wandering womb,' which of course is anatomically impossible, but there is that emotional lability in many women that the Greeks must have taken as states of possession by gods and goddesses. Haitian possession of women by female L'wa still goes on, Erzuli Freda and the like. 'The vapors,' meaning faintness, in the 19th century was chalked up to those sexy but suffocating corsets women used to wear. I can imagine the type of women that were selected to be the mouthpiece of Apollo at Delphi - the flakey, psychic, fortune-teller archetype, and with all due pomp and circumstance surrounding the ritual. Maybe Schizophrenic or Schizotypal, or Schizoaffective types, perhaps with Histrionic Personality dynamics as well.  :shrug:

Invisibletravelleler
a horse-fart in a hurricane
 User Gallery

Loc: yonder mountains
Re: Plato and hallucinogens [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #23458883 - 07/20/16 08:50 AM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

MarkostheGnostic said:
Ah...women have been getting 'the vapors' for centuries. Hysteria is Greek for 'wandering womb,' which of course is anatomically impossible, but there is that emotional lability in many women that the Greeks must have taken as states of possession by gods and goddesses. Haitian possession of women by female L'wa still goes on, Erzuli Freda and the like. 'The vapors,' meaning faintness, in the 19th century was chalked up to those sexy but suffocating corsets women used to wear. I can imagine the type of women that were selected to be the mouthpiece of Apollo at Delphi - the flakey, psychic, fortune-teller archetype, and with all due pomp and circumstance surrounding the ritual. Maybe Schizophrenic or Schizotypal, or Schizoaffective types, perhaps with Histrionic Personality dynamics as well.  :shrug:

Love it, very good explanation.  Except I feel in ancient times the "schizotypical features" of intoxication were understood in other ways.  Like people who can see energies or read and tell are sorta schizo in modern times but back then they might have been  a part of a sort of priesthood.  This would probably still be widely true if the purity of intent was never a problem, except now you have so much corruption in religion that the fucking secret societies have to hold people accountable.  it's sorta sad really.

--------------------

"Whales have deep thoughts"

:sun:Dreams are the fuel of the soul:sun:

:peace:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Original Sensible Seeds Shop: Feminized Cannabis Seeds