Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Activism
    #2344130 - 02/17/04 01:55 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I wanted to ask everyone what Activism means to them.

If you live in the US, do you think that "doing" something should be done? Or do you think that you are doing what you should do, that the world, or more specifically, the United States doesnt have issues to worry about?

Personally i think that the majority of the American public could care a little more about what is going on in their government. Does anyone else agree with that? If you dont, why dont you agree?

Do you think that their are plenty of issues that are not being adressed?

I wonder if everyday that we as citizens dont stand up, and dont get heard, that maybe were letting the government have just a little bit more control.

If anyone dis-agrees, i would really like to hear how and why they feel or think that way.

--------------------
What?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

Re: Activism [Re: Zero7a1]
    #2344177 - 02/17/04 02:10 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

To me activism works on many levels, and it's important to have your hands in each otf those. There is the personal revolution which I also like to call "decolonization of the mind" or in terms that make sense to shroomerites: Freeing ones conciousness.

Another level is alternative community building which is my current focus. Another level beyond that is direct action which is essentially the blocking or dismantling of whatever one is activizing against. Another form which would tie into all three is spreading and sharing radical or revolutionary perspective with others: attempting to inspire them to change thier own conciousness and then take part in the next two levels.

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
    #2344207 - 02/17/04 02:15 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

the only thing remotely close to activism that I can conscionably do is work on myself.

Activism is just another way of telling people what to do, and I ain't with that. Even if I think its for their own good. It is not my place to say what is good for another who I am not. I can only say what is good for me. I cannot change the world, I can only change myself. Let the world take care of itself (or not). Thats the world's perrogative, not mine.

maybe the world doesnt want to be saved. or need it.

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Re: Activism [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2344264 - 02/17/04 02:28 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I think the dillema comes down to a situation like me... where i have a very hard time handling the way the world is now. With seeing so much, yet knowing so little, but although sensing that people should maybe be more aware of THEIR world. Instead of being the passer by, my question is a question of activity, not of saving the world.

But you did read in to me more than i had intended. I tried to make it as basic as i could, to get the most broad response. Although i myself wish to change things, maybe cause i cant handle the way things are. I can handle the fact that they might not turn for every one of my ideas, which is not what i want to do, but more that to get people to think on their own terms, to really understand the world that they live in.

My fear is that people will become more lazy than they already are, and that by the time they have given up their freedoms, they wont have a chance to become an "activist" whether that means an internal activist, or one who seeks to change outward things in the system.

Sometimes to me a Brave New World, or an Orwellian world, or a Fahrenheit 451 scenario isnt too far from the mark. My worries wane as much as i see things occuring, maybe its paranoia, but maybe you can see why i made this thread, to see what other peoples view on the subject was.

Good response though, i think i have come to understand your position, the good thing is, is that you know what your position is relatively, and that you know why you have made the choice that you have. I think a lot of people are missing that distinction, and it would be very hard for some to understand why they do a lot of the things they do. A part of this, well the majority of this, is knowing who you are as a person.

--------------------
What?

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Re: Activism [Re: NiamhNyx]
    #2344271 - 02/17/04 02:30 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I think i share some of your acivist tendancies as well, if not all the time, i think at times those behaviors surface.

but over all, do you think that the majority of people could care a little bit more about thigns, or at least, would you like to have a greater sense of social togetherness? Or awareness at that?

--------------------
What?

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger

#2344309 - 02/17/04 02:44 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Although i myself wish to change things, maybe cause i cant handle the way things are. I can handle the fact that they might not turn for every one of my ideas, which is not what i want to do, but more that to get people to think on their own terms, to really understand the world that they live in.

yeah, i wish people thought for themseves more too, but I cant influence them to do it in any way...  wouldnt that kind of negate the whole point?  Because then they still wouldnt be thinking for themselves, they'd just be taking my advice. 

Quote:

My fear is that people will become more lazy than they already are, and that by the time they have given up their freedoms, they wont have a chance to become an "activist" whether that means an internal activist, or one who seeks to change outward things in the system.

Sometimes to me a Brave New World, or an Orwellian world, or a Fahrenheit 451 scenario isnt too far from the mark. 

Those fears have been around for aeons.  It amazes me how relevant Mark Twain's comments about human nature, politics, and sociology are today.  I think that the vast majority of people have always been complacent and ignorant, and the minority of intelligent people have always worried about it. 

but not me, man.  I'm sayin adios to the whole tennis match... :nut:

--------------------

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

#2344346 - 02/17/04 02:58 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I think that the majority of people do care about things, their minds are just so colonized that they have no idea how to express or understand thier concerns in fundamental or direct ways. I fully believe in community, or social togetherness. I have no doubt whatsoever that this is not only possible, but what people generally aspire towards. There are countless examples of cultures that lived in such a way that I can't help but believe its natural.

I am part of a consensus run cooperative bookstore. We are Vancouver's providers of radical literature on pretty much every issue: anarchy, ecology, queer studies, feminism, art and literature, counterculture, aboriginal issues, sociology... bla bla bla. No one is in charge, we pretty much all do whatever we want so long as everyone is comfortable with our decisions. Its one example that demonstrates such community is not only possible, but can continue and stay vibrant for decades. Its a great place to get connected.

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

#2344353 - 02/17/04 03:02 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

DoctorJ said:

yeah, i wish people thought for themseves more too, but I cant influence them to do it in any way... wouldnt that kind of negate the whole point? Because then they still wouldnt be thinking for themselves, they'd just be taking my advice.

Not really. They aren't listening to what you're telling them to do, they are simply being inspired to do something they probably felt the urge to do anyways but just hadn't identified until you helped them find the words. They absolutely would be thinking for themselves. Being inspirational is not the same as being coercive.

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger

#2344384 - 02/17/04 03:16 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

intervention is intervention.  even if you have the purest of intentions, you are still trying to mold the world.  And that, I believe, is the world's main problem: too many people trying to change it to suit their own ends (however pure their own ends might seem to them is irrelevant.  hitler thought he was doing good stuff.) 

People are dumb and destructive.  If they werent dumb and estructive, they wouldnt be people.  It may take you a few lifetimes, but eventually you'll get over it.

EDIT: As a matter of fact, me having this conversation is intervention, too!  Fuck!  try to forget what i said, mmmkay?  I'm gonna go stare at my wall for awhile... :nut:

--------------------

Edited by DoctorJ (02/17/04 03:27 AM)

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

#2344462 - 02/17/04 04:28 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I think that your perspective is one of the problems. Intelligent people standing back and letting atrocities happen because they have some notiion that it's coercive to stand up and tell everyone the emperor's got no clothes. What if every single person who realized there was something seriously wrong made a serious commitment to cause social change? Its important to remember that the details are individual and not get swept up into enforcing some absolutist ideology, but to forsake doing any work that isn't personal? I'm sorry but I can't go there.

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger

#2345026 - 02/17/04 11:36 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

your cross awaits you, and in 2000 years, no one will remember or care why you were strung up to begin with.

I know that sounds harsh, but its the grim meathook reality of the situation.

If humans dont destroy planet earth, the sun will eventually do it for them. One day the sun will explode, destroying the solar system and leaving no trace of anything that ever happened here.

Que sera, sera.

--------------------

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
    #2345086 - 02/17/04 11:56 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

If humans dont destroy planet earth, the sun will eventually do it for them. One day the sun will explode, destroying the solar system and leaving no trace of anything that ever happened here.

Quite true. But if we get our act together we could be crusing around some distant galaxy by then. With the whole history of the human race and our time on earth preserved in a chip smaller than a grain of sand...

--------------------
Always Smi2le

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger

Re: Activism [Re: GazzBut]
    #2345215 - 02/17/04 12:33 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

That, i do agree with. But it depends on a lot of factors that are out of our control, ie a thriving mass of idiots who would rather watch 'Friends' and drink Starbucks.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion