Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineElmore
journeyman
Loc: Northeast
Birthed Jars & Honey Water Tek
    #392065 - 09/12/01 06:13 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Sages of The Compost,

I wonderd if anyone has tried this...stuck inside the jars of a couple of birthed cakes there was some mycelium.

Using hands washed in anti-bacterial soap and filtered tap water, the mycelium were rinsed into the jar with a finger. A honey water solution was brought to boiling in a microwave and allowed to cool...then mixed with the water in the birthed jar, the jar was covered with Saran wrap and placed in a warm place for a couple of days. A couple of cc's of hydrogen peroxide will be added before using to innoculate jars.

Is this gonna work?

Kyle

Kyle's Law of Moderation to the Second Power: If "All things in moderation", then moderation in moderation.

--------------------
Intraskuller Avianaut Extrordinaire

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBeppoMarx
old hand
Re: Birthed Jars & Honey Water Tek [Re: Elmore]
    #392069 - 09/12/01 06:28 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

first off, i wanna say that im not the expert by far, i actually was just about to post on the effectiveness of using honey water. just a few days ago i dropped some spores into a 1/2 pint jar with water and about 7% honey. back to the topic, from what i have read anyway, letting that set for 2 or 3 days should spread that myc. thru the honey water with no problem. shake it daily and it should break up the mycellia strands and you may or may not be able to see the clumps (depending on how much mycellum was in there originally) but in just a few days you should see teh water turn a murky/milky white which can be used to innoculate new jars or any substrate, with faster colonization times. no proof by me though, im still waiting to see some growth on my jars that were innoculated with my honey water. mbe ill follow up if growth explodes :)

--------------------
Holy shit people; COMMON SENSE! we were all born with it where did it go?
maybe theres a tek out there to explain how to use it!
BUCKETS BRIGADE left hand man!!!

Offlinekurupira
Hyperspacer
 User Gallery

#392089 - 09/12/01 07:15 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

i think it's better add the peroxide into the honeywater (after microwayving) to avoid contams.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Tu?feioassimmesmooutapeloavesso?

--------------------
Have you ever been Hyperspaced?

OfflineBeppoMarx
old hand
Re: Birthed Jars & Honey Water Tek [Re: kurupira]
    #392109 - 09/12/01 07:36 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

i agree and i completely missed when he said that. if youre gonna use h2o2, you can add it as soon as mycellum is established. peroxide will kill spores, thats why it beats out mold, because it doesnt do much growing, just pops off spores all over. mycellum wont really take too much heed to it, less you drown it in the stuff. 5cc in that jar as early as possible wont hurt a thing.

--------------------
Holy shit people; COMMON SENSE! we were all born with it where did it go?
maybe theres a tek out there to explain how to use it!
BUCKETS BRIGADE left hand man!!!

OfflineElmore
journeyman
Loc: Northeast
Re: Birthed Jars & Honey Water Tek [Re: BeppoMarx]
    #393471 - 09/13/01 03:12 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Hey, thanks for the replies!

I have added approx 5cc H2O2 to the honey water mix; there WAS significant growth of mycelium in the jar over the last three days. I had a PF cake jar ready to innoculate and did; I will use it as a control to determine if it is contaminated before innoculating other jars.

Thanks again... if it works, its an easy tek I'll use over and over.

Kyle's Law of Moderation to the Second Power: If "All things in moderation", then moderation in moderation.

--------------------
Intraskuller Avianaut Extrordinaire

Invisiblewoodrow
journeyman
    #23438588 - 07/13/16 06:02 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

I have done something similar with good results but I question your first step of rinsing the jar. What I did was pour a small amount of sterile honey water directly into the jar. No rinse required. Then replace the old lid and give the jar a swirl to clean the sides. This works as long as you were able to remove the old cake with a clean dump and didn't seriously contam the lid or jar in the process.

You may prefer to add a lot of honey water and incubate as usual for honey tek but I prefer to add just enough honey water to cover the bottom of the jar with less than a half inch of liquid and then incubate with no stirring. Keep it perfectly still. The mycelium will grow across the surface as a thick, rhizomorphic mat exactly as it does on agar. If you have any contams, they will grow either in the liquid and make it cloudy or across the surface as obvious molds so you can tell if your growth is good or not just by looking at it.

The mycelial mat can be cut up and used the same as agar wedges or it can be emulsified with a blender for injection with a syringe. I prefer not to use H2O2 because it slows growth. The bits of mycelium that adhere to the sides of a jar are surprisingly contam resistant in honey water.

InvisiblePsychedel.EXE
AKA Old Uncle Nutty
Male

Re: Birthed Jars & Honey Water Tek [Re: woodrow]
    #23438603 - 07/13/16 06:07 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

.....almost 15 years later

:thisguy:

--------------------

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ★
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Birthed Jars & Honey Water Tek [Re: Psychedel.EXE]
    #23438640 - 07/13/16 06:19 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Been here since 03 and you can't even spot an old thread before you bump it, considering it tells you it's old, warns you not to bump it, and lists how many days old it is (thousands).

Thanks guy, for bumping more outdated shit up to the top in 2016.  :thumbup:  I sure love when I spend hours answering questions only to have shit like this come and undermine all of it by miseducating the next round of noobs.

InvisibleMunchauzen
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Birthed Jars & Honey Water Tek [Re: Inocuole]
    #23438798 - 07/13/16 07:17 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

move this shit to the dump :rofl:

InvisibleSnazz
Polymath
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Birthed Jars & Honey Water Tek [Re: Munchauzen]
    #23439471 - 07/13/16 11:05 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Is that a record?

Invisiblewoodrow
journeyman
Re: Birthed Jars & Honey Water Tek [Re: Psychedel.EXE]
    #23439817 - 07/14/16 02:18 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Psychedel.EXE said:
.....almost 15 years later

:thisguy:

My humble apologies. I forgot I jumped to "Similar Threads" from the new. I will be sure to check the dates from now on.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract