Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Perlite, Portable Greenhouse, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinephishman13
Mad Scientist

Troubles but don't know why
    #2343714 - 02/17/04 12:22 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

A freind of mine just recently completed his first grow and had some satisfactory results. He was pleased with them for his first grow. Now he is in the middle of his second grow and he is rather dissappointed with the results thus far. He decided to do more casing this time around and kept some cakes as well in case he lost some casings to contamination - which he did. He had a few questions as to whats going on here. First of all his set up is this:

2 clear rubbermaids (1 with cakes and 1 with casings)
both at 75 degs F
Condensation all over the walls and lid (perlite on bottom)
Ecuador, Malabar, Golden Teacher, and Thai KS T3
Fanning anywhere from 2-4 times daily

The first time around he was using a halogen light to give them light and raise the temerature since it was rather cold in his home. Now he's using 2 small flourescents sat right on top of the boxes. His questions are this:

His cakes are doing nothing. They are barely pinning, and when they do pin, they don't mature. He's only gotten a couple mature fruits off of each one, and he lost 2 to the "green plague" since. He was successful in growing off cakes before but not now. What could be causing this that he has done differently?

Also, the casings ended up getting contaminated after the first flush. He is wondering what it is that he's doing or not doing to cause this. He sprayed down with water and h202 after the 1st flush to no avail. Is there anything from what you can see here that he can improve to get more out of his casings? They all seem to just up and quit after they put out a decent first flush.

After his first growing experience he thought he was on his way to becoming knowledgeable with it, but it seems like he's taken a step back. I'd be glad to give anymore information on his setup or what he is doing, but he's just confused and kinda dissappointed. Please help him out any way you guys know how.

Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleZapotecorum
AlcoHoliC

Loc: my conversion van
Re: Troubles but don't know why [Re: phishman13]
    #2343756 - 02/17/04 12:31 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

are the cakes sitting in and topped with verm, if not thay might have dried out and died. thats why they get contaminated. what are you doing to keep the cake hydrated?

laying a light on top of the chamber will create a serious greenhouse effect possible creating to much heat killing and/or allowing green poopy to grow.

doing it good once does not mean your good for life. it takes getting it right several times. you are doing better then most getting it right the first time though, keep up the effert and one day it will be effertless!!!

Offlinereaderror
PurpleHaze

Re: Troubles but don't know why [Re: Zapotecorum]
    #2343759 - 02/17/04 12:32 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

your supposed to put verm on top of the cakes too?@$

Oh crap! I better go do that..or should I ?

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Troubles but don't know why [Re: phishman13]
    #2343773 - 02/17/04 12:34 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

With the casings, I could say that you were probably spraying them down too much after the first flush, or that they were not completely colonized before you put them into fruiting conditions.

With the cakes, it sounds like its too dry in there. I've found with cakes, the smaller the terrarium = the higher humiditiy, that is much better for cakes which do not have a moisture (casing) layer over the bare mycelium.

As for getting that much contamination, that is just getting bad luck. Make sure you are just as sterile as possible during your procedures.

Try again, you'll probably get good results. Even the most talented growers will encounter contamination at one point or another. It just happends.

If you are having troubles fanning often, try putting a few 1 inch holes and filling them with cotton or polyfill so there is some gas exchange while you are not home to fan them.

Lastly, make sure your lights aren't evaporating any moisture inside the terrarium. Just because there is water drops on the sides doesn't mean the fragile moisture droplets in the middle of the terrarium there, they could be evaporating much easier.

Offlinedaywalker
Do you dream in color?

Loc: in my skin
Re: Troubles but don't know why [Re: readerror]
    #2343783 - 02/17/04 12:37 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

You'll get more water to the cake if you case it on top with a wet verm layer. Called "end casing" and there is a "double-end case" method out there... damp verm on bottom/damp verm on top.

Next time, just roll them in the verm and birth them.

--------------------
"I suggest we ... learn to love our ... selves before it ... becomes illegal."

Offlinephishman13
Mad Scientist

Re: Troubles but don't know why [Re: daywalker]
    #2344098 - 02/17/04 01:45 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks a lot folks! This has provided me with some insight. I have an idea of what I need to fix/change for next time. The lights definitely need to be moved off the top, maybe even use only 1 and not have it on more than a couple hours a day. And I am definitely gonna employ the dunk and roll tek for the next batch of cakes. ONce again, thanks for the help!!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Perlite, Portable Greenhouse, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation