Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinesykobish
ProfessionalPsycho - JTOKREW
 User Gallery

Loc: Toronto, eh?
Coincidences?
    #2343526 - 02/16/04 09:37 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I was looking for some other opinions on this subject.

Do you believe that coincidences are just that? Or that they have an underlying meaning?

I've thought about this alot and I've come to the conclusion that coincidences happen for a reason. Basically to push you towards where you should be. I don't want to confuse this with fate. I believe in free will but also that coincidences are like a sense of deja vu, either letting us know that we are on the track that we need to be in order to reach that next choice in life, or to force us to make a critical choice so that our path opens up more in that specific direction. Pretty much like those Adventure books that we used to read when we were younger where it asked you if you went thru the door, to go to page 25.. or if you decided to enter the cave, to go to page 96.

I also believe that the people we cross in our lives, there are reasons why we cross them. Perhaps they are to help us in the future as a link to something later in life, or to simply learn from them and better ourselves.

--------------------
I would rather have had one breath of her hair, one kiss from her mouth, one touch of her hand, than eternity without it. One.
-={Nite-Crew}=-

*-_Thread_Jacker_-*
To love is to admire with the heart; to admire is to love with the mind. - Th?ophile Gautier.
Seek not every quality in one individual - Confucius.
Global Living Space

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Coincidences? [Re: sykobish]
    #2343585 - 02/16/04 09:51 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I also believe that the people we cross in our lives, there are reasons why we cross them.
Like the guy who got brutally beaten last night?

Perhaps they are to help us...
The guy "needed" a broken jaw to teach him some obscure lesson?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: Coincidences? [Re: Swami]
    #2343599 - 02/16/04 09:56 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

You still don't understand karma...    :shake:

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2343628 - 02/16/04 10:04 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

sykobish said:
Do you believe that coincidences are just that? Or that they have an underlying meaning?

I've thought about this alot and I've come to the conclusion that coincidences happen for a reason. Basically to push you towards where you should be. I don't want to confuse this with fate. I believe in free will but also that coincidences are like a sense of deja vu, either letting us know that we are on the track that we need to be in order to reach that next choice in life, or to force us to make a critical choice so that our path opens up more in that specific direction. Pretty much like those Adventure books that we used to read when we were younger where it asked you if you went thru the door, to go to page 25.. or if you decided to enter the cave, to go to page 96.

I also believe that the people we cross in our lives, there are reasons why we cross them. Perhaps they are to help us in the future as a link to something later in life, or to simply learn from them and better ourselves.

I believe in those things. I call the coincidences "signs". And yes, there are many reasons for why people are put in our path.

The signs are to show me the direction I should take. People are here to either help me or for me to learn from them.

Sometimes, when I am on an airplane, and I get seated next to someone, I wonder whether I'm sitting there to learn from them or if they are there to learn from me. Sometimes, it's just chit chat. Other times, we learn from each other.

I believe in God. I don't think God is going to stick his hand down from the heavens (wherever they might be) and give us what we need. And besides, it doesn't work that way anyways.

I think God teaches and helps us through people.

But if you want to look at it in another way, if you don't believe in God, I think somehow quantum physics plays into it. We are all where we are supposed to be at any given space in time, interconnecting with each other.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Coincidences? [Re: Frog]
    #2343630 - 02/16/04 10:05 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

You still don't understand

See my topic on poor debating technique.

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2343644 - 02/16/04 10:08 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Um, like, do I have to go find it myself???    :oogle:

Where is it, in the dark recesses of the shroomery archives?  :eyemouth:

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#2343658 - 02/16/04 10:12 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Here's a flashlight. Now go down the creeking stairs into the cobwebbed cellar where the bogeyman lives...

--------------------

Offlinesykobish
 User Gallery

#2343670 - 02/16/04 10:14 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I agree. I don't believe in God as you would think. I do believe in a force. I believe in Energy. I believe in the power of thought and suggestion and positive and negative energy.

The way I see it, if it makes you happy, go with it. All the power to you. Cuz my thoughts on that, is that what it boils down to.. we believe the same thing. We just all have different names for it.

Look at Greek and Roman gods.. Everything relates.. it's all been intertwined.

--------------------
I would rather have had one breath of her hair, one kiss from her mouth, one touch of her hand, than eternity without it. One.
-={Nite-Crew}=-

*-_Thread_Jacker_-*
To love is to admire with the heart; to admire is to love with the mind. - Th?ophile Gautier.
Global Living Space

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#2343684 - 02/16/04 10:16 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I believe in the power of thought ...

See thread on Cancer and Optimism...

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2343685 - 02/16/04 10:16 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

No, thanks.  I always hate when they do that in the movies, too.  Doesn't the about-to-be-killed person know, by now, that whenever it's dark, and you need a flashlight, and you have to go down some dark creaky stairs, and there's freaky music, that there's probably a bogeyman down there???

They never learn, either.  :lol:

--------------------

Offlinesykobish
 User Gallery

#2343698 - 02/16/04 10:19 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
I also believe that the people we cross in our lives, there are reasons why we cross them.
Like the guy who got brutally beaten last night?

Perhaps they are to help us...
The guy "needed" a broken jaw to teach him some obscure lesson?

As Frog said, I think karma could have played a very big role in that. Or perhaps that person just made a not so well thought out decision. I won't say that it was a right or wrong one.. It's always action, and consequence.

--------------------
-={Nite-Crew}=-

*-_Thread_Jacker_-*
Global Living Space

Offlinesykobish
 User Gallery

#2343708 - 02/16/04 10:21 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I already have a very good idea as to what it would say. :smile::thumbup:  And I agree.  Stress kills.

--------------------
-={Nite-Crew}=-

*-_Thread_Jacker_-*
Global Living Space

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Coincidences? [Re: sykobish] * 1
    #2343761 - 02/16/04 10:32 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

As Frog said, I think karma could have played a very big role in that.
No insult, but please explain how adopting an ancient Hindu superstition with no supporting evidence comes about from "thinking"?

Were all the 911 victims just reaping karma, or is the pedantic explanation more likely? Whenever I hurt someone I am doing them a favor by "balancing" their karma?

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2343786 - 02/16/04 10:38 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
No insult, but please explain how adopting an ancient Hindu superstition with no supporting evidence comes about from "thinking"?

Were all the 911 victims just reaping karma, or is the pedantic explanation more likely? Whenever I hurt someone I am doing them a favor by "balancing" their karma?

I have lost my Edgar Cayce book, so I'm going to give an explanation for why I see it the way I see it, based on my memory.

Sometimes, if we didn't learn a lesson in a past life, we have to come back and live life in a certain way so as to learn the lesson we didn't learn.

As an example, if someone abused women in a past life, he may have to come back as a woman, and endure rape, to get an understanding of why you shouldn't abuse women.

I don't see karma as a superstition. But if you think it's a superstition, that's fine. I guess that means it isn't necessary to find my Edgar Cayce book.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Coincidences? [Re: Frog] * 1
    #2343809 - 02/16/04 10:44 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

su?per?sti?tion ( P ) Pronunciation Key (spr-stshn)
n.
An irrational belief that an object, action, or circumstance not logically related to a course of events influences its outcome.

A belief, practice, or rite irrationally maintained by ignorance of the laws of nature or by faith in magic or chance.
A fearful or abject state of mind resulting from such ignorance or irrationality.

There is NO logical relationship else we would be able to study it.

--------------------

Offlinesykobish
 User Gallery

#2343818 - 02/16/04 10:46 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

First off, everything happens for a reason. I'm not saying those individuals deserved to die. I don't know if I want to touch too much on the subject of 911 because I don't want to word something the wrong way and have people misinterpret it. So I think it would be wise to stay away from that.

Choices are made and consequences, positive or negative, follow.

--------------------
-={Nite-Crew}=-

*-_Thread_Jacker_-*
Global Living Space

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2343820 - 02/16/04 10:47 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

-shrugs-

Okay.

--------------------

Offlinesykobish
 User Gallery

#2343829 - 02/16/04 10:49 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Not all things in life can be explained or studied.

--------------------
-={Nite-Crew}=-

*-_Thread_Jacker_-*
Global Living Space

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Coincidences? [Re: sykobish] * 1
    #2343832 - 02/16/04 10:50 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

First off, everything happens for a reason.

And how do you support that? Everything has a cause, but can you substantiate any reason behind a happenstance?

--------------------

Edited by Swami (02/16/04 10:51 PM)

Offlinesykobish
 User Gallery

#2343886 - 02/16/04 11:03 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Honestly. No, I can't give much support on that. I believe it to be true because that's what I feel. I can't give a scientific explaination as to why things happen the way they do. Why do babies die? Why does love fade? I have no idea, other than a feeling inside me that believes that these things happen in order to learn and grow. Life isn't always about happiness. There needs to be balance between positivity and negativity otherwise, if we were constantly happy, there would be no way for us to know. There would be no comparison.

When I think of 'Everything happens for a reason' I think of good and bad things occurring in our lives that not only build our character and make us who we are, but it always opens doors into the future.

For example, you are happily in love with someone for 10 years of your life. Then it's over. It hurts, it sucks.. You wonder why. But you learn from that experience. It adds to who you are. Then say 5 years down the road, you meet someone else who you end up with till your dying days.

My thoughts are scattered tonight. So I apologize if my ramblings are hard to follow.

--------------------
-={Nite-Crew}=-

*-_Thread_Jacker_-*
Global Living Space

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2346006 - 02/17/04 01:52 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

sykobish said:
Honestly. No, I can't give much support on that. I believe it to be true because that's what I feel. I can't give a scientific explaination as to why things happen the way they do. Why do babies die? Why does love fade? I have no idea, other than a feeling inside me that believes that these things happen in order to learn and grow.

It is definitely a good attitude to have, that of learning and growing from the experiences that life hands you. However, that doesn't mean that those experiences came about for the purpose of being learned from. Babies die for objective reasons... love "fades" after, well, that depends on the person.. maybe they didn't truly know the person and they did some things that weren't very loving.. *shrugs*

Anywho, like you and I said, it is indeed good to learn and grow. That could very well be why we are here...
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlinesykobish
 User Gallery

Re: Coincidences? [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2346718 - 02/17/04 04:37 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Babies die for objective reasons... love "fades" after, well, that depends on the person.. maybe they didn't truly know the person and they did some things that weren't very loving.

In the literal stand-point, I couldn't agree more. Sometimes love doesn't fade. I'm just giving worst case scenarios. Everything in life is a learning experience, and a chance to grow, whether it be positive or negative.

Every mistake, if you don't learn from it, you are bound to repeat it. When you do learn, you progress on to other mistakes. It's all trial and error. I believe that people go thru certain circumstances in order to become the person they are to be. I guess you could say your life conditions you to what you are best suited for.

--------------------
-={Nite-Crew}=-

*-_Thread_Jacker_-*
Global Living Space

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2346898 - 02/17/04 05:14 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

>>Every mistake, if you don't learn from it, you are bound to repeat it. When you do learn, you progress on to other mistakes. It's all trial and error. I believe that people go thru certain circumstances in order to become the person they are to be.

I said something similar on another thread.

I believe i karma. Perhaps I was meant to go through the things I went through as a child to repair some harm I caused in a previous life, or to learn something I failed to learn.

But everything I experienced as a child, even if it was negative, caused me to become the person I am today, and I think that without the occurrences of my childhood, I wouldn't be able to help people in my capacity.

--------------------

Offlinesykobish
 User Gallery

#2346983 - 02/17/04 05:36 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Exactly.  Using myself as an example, I've been thru pretty much anything you could possibly imagine.  Both good and bad.  I've gone thru some very hard and trying times that honestly, I wasn't sure I would come out of.  Still now, when I think back, I have no idea how I did it.  It involved alot of courage and strength.  But I wouldn't change any of my experiences for the world because it mades me who I am today.  I enjoy helping/teaching people who are willing to be helped/taught.

My career goal is to become a psychologist and further my passion for helping people, without the use of medication.  If I had not experienced the sort of life I have had, I would be in no way useful to anyone as a psychologist.  You can't help or teach from text books.  You need to experience it.  You need to have 'been there'.

So with all that said, Was it just coincidence? I think not. :smirk:

--------------------
-={Nite-Crew}=-

*-_Thread_Jacker_-*
Global Living Space

Edited by sykobish (02/17/04 05:39 PM)

InvisibleMal_Fenderson
Space Monkey

Loc: North American Plate.
    #2346994 - 02/17/04 05:40 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Everything has a cause.

Is this a case of "My dogma (causation) is more justified than your dogma (karma)" or are the two fundamentally different types of ideas?

--------------------
----
"Better Dead than Red."

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Coincidences? [Re: Mal_Fenderson]
    #2347437 - 02/17/04 07:52 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Causation can be demonstrated (hence not dogma) whereas karma cannot.

--------------------

OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

#2349330 - 02/18/04 09:09 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I think coincidences are such an interesting phenomenon that it causes most people find meaning in them.

--------------------
"...yet another in a long series of diversions an attempt to avoid responsibility."

OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

Re: Coincidences? [Re: Viaggio]
    #2349355 - 02/18/04 09:17 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Squatting_Otter said: ...these systems are useful tools to explore yourself. They act as a mirror for us, so though they aren't "real" you can still get a lot out of them.

I took this from another thread because Squatting_Otter's point seemed relevant to coincidences as well. When someone seeks meaning from certain situations, they place them self in a new perspective...they reflect, they learn etc.
Make sense?

--------------------
"...yet another in a long series of diversions an attempt to avoid responsibility."

InvisibleNariusFractal
Sat Chit Ananda
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Coincidences? [Re: Viaggio]
    #2349403 - 02/18/04 09:30 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Happpppy bday viaggio!

--------------------
You are the microcosm of the macrocosm.

OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

Re: Coincidences? [Re: NariusFractal]
    #2349433 - 02/18/04 09:36 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------

Offlineangryjslice
now with 20%more anger
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #2349735 - 02/18/04 11:03 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Swami said:

i dont think you can pull politically/socialistically motivated actions into the idea of karma.  but if you could, the united states certainly did need a swift kick in the teeth.  i dont mean to offend anyone who was effected by 911, but if you look at the number of people killed in the world trade center attacks "Officials estimate that as of yesterday, 3,066 people had died, or were missing and presumed dead, as a result of the attacks on Sept. 11, including the 19 hijackers."  and then look at the number of just children (not including adults) we killed in iraq "Approximate number of innocent Iraqi children under 5 years of age who have been killed  by United States Sanctions against Iraq since the beginning of the sanctions: 500,000"

not saying that this has much to do with karma, but when you put that attack in reference, its not as big as we make it out to be.  we deserved it.

as for coincedences:

>> coincidences happen for a reason. Basically to push you towards  >> where you should be

i wouldnt say 'push', just your noticing some patterns in the path that you are travelling.  you can choose to ignore them, or you can choose to act on them.  think about life as travelling down a spiraled arm of a julian fractal.  except a little more complex, a little higher on the dimensional order, a 'life fractal' maybe.  anyways...as you go you have the option to choose an infinite amount of new paths off of this branch (events/decisions and actions cause these new branches to apear), but you are still limited to this main branch.  you cant go back and pick a new one (not till you die anyhow).  so your going along and you notice that sometimes things line up very nicely (look at a fractal, zoom in please) and sometimes things apear to be total chaos.  so when these things line up and fit together nicely in your life you say "damn what a coincidence, what are the chances that these two events happend at the same time"  and when you think about it the chances are probably very very small, but your living through an infinite amount of decisions and events and situations all the time, so your bound to hit some that fit together nicely.

its all just a part of the bigger picture or the nth dimensional life fractal that we're all travelling through.

your on the right thinking that deja vu fits into all of this.  i really need to organize my thoughts on my theories of the life fractal.

maybe ill draw up some pictures to try illustrate this better if i get some time off of classes.

if im not making sense, pretend im not talking...thats what all my friends do :smile:

~JSlice~

--------------------

Offlinesykobish
 User Gallery

Re: Coincidences? [Re: angryjslice]
    #2350829 - 02/18/04 02:51 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

You make perfect sense.  I just woke up so I'm in no shape to respond but when my mind wakes up a little more I will. :smile:

--------------------
-={Nite-Crew}=-

*-_Thread_Jacker_-*
Global Living Space

InvisibleMal_Fenderson
Space Monkey

Loc: North American Plate.
    #2351217 - 02/18/04 04:12 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Causation can be demonstrated?  Hrmm.  Maybe.  I think that the idea here is that Karma requires an implicit belief in some sort of causation (it just operates on how Just or Moral one is, instead of simple matter---or something) but I do not exactly see how even causation is necessarily evidenced as true.  Isn't it possible that it's all coincidence or all random?  David Hume has made my mind all soft and spongy :frown:

Actually, no, I did it myself, and then he eloquently confirmed it!

--------------------
----
"Better Dead than Red."

OfflineWScott
´ ɑ `▽ ᑲᓇᑕ
 User Gallery

Loc: Nacada
Re: Coincidences? [Re: Mal_Fenderson]
    #7793133 - 12/23/07 04:37 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Found an old thread about coincidences.. wanted to share one with you that I experienced today. A have a couple of old friends that are Jehovah Witnesses and the past couple of Sundays we've gotten together and talked about the Bible and what they else believe. Anyway, we were going through different verses and they told me to turn to a certain verse in my Bible. I believe it was Deut. ch2 or something. I flipped right to the page. I did the same thing with a verse in Isaiah a few minutes later when they asked me to flip to it. The Bible I have is pretty compact and the pages are very thin.. made me rethink the whole meaning of coincidences and how they happen.

--------------------

InvisibleEternalCowabunga
Being of Great Significance
Male User Gallery

Loc: Time and Space
Re: Coincidences? [Re: WScott]
    #7793212 - 12/23/07 05:02 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

a conversation i had with an enlightened being:

being: life is a battle between fate and coincidence
me: is it really a battle?
being: no...

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds