Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Mycobags

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinetopiltzin
Stranger
Double innoculation?
    #2342327 - 02/16/04 06:46 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I'm a newbie that made several mistakes with his first mycobag attempt.    I made a pretty bad mess and am wondering about how to fix it...

I. First off, I bought spores from "Some Guy On Ebay"(tm).  This is the easiest to fix :wink:

II. Second, when I innoculated them, I did the following stupid things:
  1. Did it over a gas oven.  The bags were about 10" above the flames.  I thought this way they would be less susceptible to contamination, but now I realize I may have heated the spores too much.
  2.  Didn't use alcohol lamp but an ordinary lighter to sterilize the needle.  It turned black at least during one innoculation.
  3.  Injected about 2cc directly in the center of the substrate instead on the side on all bags except one.  (I hold the Golden Oyster  Kit instructions on ShamanShop partially responsible for this! :wink:)

III. I didn't unfold the bags, didn't keep them in upright position and didn't break the substrate up until about 10 days later (this is probably my worst mistake)

IV.  At least twice during the first two weeks the temperature had gone up to at least 95F due to my negligence.

And the results:

After two weeks, the bag which I had innoculated on the side and not on the center had some growth, so at least I didn't get ripped off with the spores.  All other bags didn't have any visible growth.  I decided to break up the mycelium in one of them to check if there was anything going on in the middle, but there was _nothing_ :frown:  I've almost come to terms with the fact that I fuxxored up badly and am not going to get anything.

So the question is: will it work if I get another syringe and innoculate the same bags again?  They've been at 80F for about 2 weeks now, and it will be at least a week until the new syringe gets to me even if I order now.  What will happen if I get a different strain and innoculate a bag which has already something growing in it?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Double inoculation? [Re: topiltzin]
    #2342397 - 02/16/04 07:03 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

>will it work if I get another syringe and inoculate the same bags again?

If they don?t have any visible contamination(or colonization) and they don?t have any funky smell, then it should work.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Double inoculation? [Re: Anno]
    #2342434 - 02/16/04 07:12 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

You may have dry bags by the time they colonize. I bet you could salvage at least one bag this way. Best to fold the filter patch over until re-inoculation. You won't lose much more moisture. The problem with mashing your bags and unfolding them is they do begin to dry out a little.

Don't worry, once colonized, you can dunk your cakes or spray them with a water bottle.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Mycobags

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation