Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Home Depot
    #2340509 - 02/16/04 11:44 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

So I was browsing around in home depot today when I noticed a plant that looked a lot like wormwood. So I took a look at the tag and it proudly proclaimed "Artemisia Hybrid". Now what is that supposed to be? There are hundreds of species in the Artemisia genus and they made absolutely no indication of what it was a hybrid of, the fact that it looked a lot like wormwood, which is what i originally thought it was, suggests to me that wormwoods probably in the mix there somewhere, but who's to say how big a presence it plays in the hybrid or what else is in it..frustrating...I really would like to buy the plant hoping for some Thujone content, but I'm not sure how many memebers of the Artemisia genus contain thujone (I know of two for sure). Anyone know my chances of it having a usable amount of Thujone?  :grin:

I know it's no big suprise that home depot isn't exactly the best source for botanicals, but it kind of angered me that they wouldn't even be more specific than "Artemisia Hybrid". I guess the vast majority of people shopping there don't care... anyway I've vocalized my griefs and vented.  :smile: Maybe I'll just have to buy one and do a crude extraction to see if there's not some thujone content...but they didn't even have a price tag on it, so how's one supposed to know how much they are. Alright I'm through ranting. Peace and Much Love.

--------------------

Without love in the dream
It will never come true

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Home Depot [Re: Hooty]
    #2340547 - 02/16/04 12:04 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Alright so I did some searching and remember that the other part of the description on the tag was "Powis Castle". I found a little info on it. It's apparently a hybrid of Artemisia arborescens x absinthium
so it did have some wormwood in it as I thought. From all I can find it does contain thujone though I'm not sure how much. By all reports I've seen yet Artemisia arborescens has lower levels of thujone than Artemisia absinthium (which I would have expected)though I'm not sure how much lower.

I guess I didn't have as much reason to be angry with Home Depot since I had forgotten they had put the common name "Powis Castle" on there....oh well..I may return to home depot later today and buy one of the plants and try to extract some thujone tonight after I get all my work done (I'm kind of swamped today) maybe test it out sometime before going to bed. If anyone has any good information on this particular hybrid or on Artemisia arborescens please post and let me know. Peace and Much Love.

Addition:
Still researching Artemisia arborescens but this quote from    http://www.geocities.com/lavenderwater37/oils2.htm gives me some hope:

Quote:

Caution:
Artemisia arborescens, a Mugwort, often sold as Blue Camomile can cause abortions because it contains a large amount of Thujone, a ketone making mugwort poisonous.

:grin:

--------------------

Without love in the dream
It will never come true

Edited by Hooty (02/16/04 12:07 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden