Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinellamaboy
the weasel thatsnagged the bee

Loc: Portland PNW
casing layer that i'm not sure about input needed
    #2339384 - 02/15/04 11:05 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

so, i've just cased 4 quarts of millet, and i placed a bottom layer on the casing...however, this bottom layer wasn't verm...i decided to use a type of litter(you know the shit that animals shit in)...well this particular litter is made of corn cob. it's water retention is extremely high, and i was thinking that it would have some nutrinial value...i was wondering if anyone had ever used anything like this, and if so how did it work...even if you have not used it before, how do you think this will work...any input would be greatly apreciated.

thanks in advance llama!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: casing layer that i'm not sure about input needed [Re: llamaboy]
    #2339468 - 02/15/04 11:39 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

You are asking for trouble. The corncob may or may not start to contaminate. Good luck.

OfflineBLuEFroG
Old MFer
Male

Loc: Eastern Coast
    #2339520 - 02/15/04 11:55 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

dude... the whole reason you use verm is because it has no nutritional value. Hopefully, the cake you made your casting from had already eaten up all of the nutritional value of whatever crap you put in your jars, so that other bad molds and such cant grow... all you have done by putting the corncob in there is giving the mold another way to infect your precious little babies... eh whatever... hope it turns out the best way possible for ya!

--------------------

Offlinellamaboy
the weasel thatsnagged the bee

Loc: Portland PNW
Re: casing layer that i'm not sure about input needed [Re: Blue Helix]
    #2339524 - 02/15/04 11:55 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

the corncob was sterilized in a PC...then in an oven at 350*...was then sprayed with an H2O2 solution to saturation point...then immeditaly the substrate was placed ontop of it. if the corncob is prone to contam...does this mean that the mycelium wills tart to colonize it as well?

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #2339984 - 02/16/04 03:02 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I know the corncob shit your talking about. My snakes love the stuff. Just cause it has no nutes doesn?t mean it?s not prone to contams. I think if it doesn?t contam it will work fine.

Verm isn?t always needed as the bottom layer. Most kits from Europe use perlite. I?ve used perlite with great results. With these I use the same coir and verm mix on the bottom layer as I did on the top layer. Seemed to work.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds