Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

easiest bulk substrate?
    #2338459 - 02/15/04 08:25 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

getting back into mycology after a year and a half hiatus. i've already done the PF tek, and want to try bulk substrate. wondering what the simplest, most streamlined bulk substrate teks out there. i was looking into millet, rye berries, or maybe popcorn. also, is it necessary to use a filter disk with bulks? i was thinking i could use polyfill from walmart if i must. thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

Re: easiest bulk substrate? [Re: ]
    #2338512 - 02/15/04 08:42 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

A filter is a must when using grains, and a damn good idea period. polyfill is fine. You could spawn a few grain jars to a pretty big bin of pasturized dung, straw, or compost. Worm castings work great and don't smell like poop, if that is an issue.

SM

--------------------

Offline284_27
Indocybin

#2338543 - 02/15/04 08:54 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

A filter is not a must , just invert the jar lids and leave on the tin foil . Make sure that the inverted lid is loose enough for air exchange.

--------------------
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson

Fly high and I will meet you there .
- Timothy Leary

Anonymous

Re: easiest bulk substrate? [Re: 284_27]
    #2338831 - 02/15/04 10:16 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

are rye berries a good substrate? popcorn? millet? wondering which one is easiest to handle. i don't really want to deal with boiling, soaking and draining the substrate if i don't have to, i want to keep things simple and tweak it... will i have to go through all those steps?

OfflineTheDarkSideof_Paco
Seeker

Loc: My basement
    #2338919 - 02/15/04 10:46 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Just get some Wild Bird Seed soak for 24 hours, drain for 30 and PC. I would highly recomend some Polyfil. Just put like a 3/8 inch hole in the top and stuff with polyfil. You can innoc through this and it IMO colonizes much faster because of the great airflow. Polyfil youll have to spend 3 bucks for like 18000 jars so just buy some.

--------------------
"In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilize us."

Thich Nhat Hanh

Invisiblekeyeghost
?

Re: easiest bulk substrate? [Re: ] * 1
    #2338929 - 02/15/04 10:49 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Popcorn has least contam problems as a spawn IMHO. But as for the easiest bulk sub, it would be horse or cow dung (if you are interested in good store bought composts send me a Private message). Why? If you are using millett (rye, or any grain) as more than spawn (as the bulk sub) you must steralize it, rather than pasteurize it. You can, and should pasteurize dungs rather than steralize them. Read up on pasteurization and it's benefits in the FAQ. If you can do the pf tek, a bulk sub grow should be a breeze. And a HEPA filter is worth the investment.

As opposed to others, I would not reccomend filter disks, or polyfill. Some contaminants common to mushroom cultures can get through even those, and those would have to be airborne. If you are not running a HEPA filter, I say definitely no filter disks. Really, there is no need for them.

Ki

p.s. If you don't want to use dung, and insist on using a substrate that requires sterilization rather than pasteurization, and you are running no HEPA filter, don't even bother wasting your time.

--------------------
"time couldn't end me, even the great devil Satan who tried to befriend me, understand the equality, God in the bodily form, lettin my knowledge be born" RZA as Prince Rakeem

Seeker

Re: easiest bulk substrate? [Re: keyeghost]
    #2338938 - 02/15/04 10:52 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

If you are spawning to something I would recomend some straw, My personal favorite however is wormcastings because I do my own vermicomposting.

--------------------
"In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilize us."

Thich Nhat Hanh

Invisiblekeyeghost
?

Re: easiest bulk substrate? [Re: TheDarkSideof_Paco]
    #2338947 - 02/15/04 10:55 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Straw offers too many contam problems, IMHO.

--------------------
"time couldn't end me, even the great devil Satan who tried to befriend me, understand the equality, God in the bodily form, lettin my knowledge be born" RZA as Prince Rakeem

Seeker

#2338971 - 02/15/04 11:06 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

After pasteurization to spawn TO? I would have to disagree. I find its about the same as dung.

--------------------

Thich Nhat Hanh

Offlinefour
Stranger
    #2339148 - 02/15/04 11:54 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

hey, i'm doing bulk substrate for the first time and am using organic wheat berries, but there are three kinds: soft, hard, and cracked. I'm wondering if anyone knows if any of them works, i already tried to make white rice work and that of course was a disaster so i don't want to waste more time on worthless substrates.

Offlinekjb1891
MycoManiac

#2339306 - 02/16/04 12:38 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I like worm castings, too. I usually do straw, worm castings, and vermiculite 50/35/15.

Invisiblekeyeghost
?

#2339351 - 02/16/04 12:52 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Guess you have had better luck with it than my friend =). She used to use it with success, but 1 time was hit by much cobweb ... sort of ruined it for her, well that and the trich.

--------------------

Offlinekjb1891
MycoManiac

#2340463 - 02/16/04 11:08 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

As long as it is pasteurized well enough it should be fine. I usually cut the straw and put it into a foil baking pan. Then add the castings. Next, I put the verm in, and add water until the consistency is right. After that, just put foil over the pan, and put it into the oven at 170F for a couple hours. I've never had a problem with it.

OfflineGreyStreet
reborn thinker
Loc: Alpha Centuri
Re: easiest bulk substrate? [Re: kjb1891]
    #2340530 - 02/16/04 11:56 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I diid not know that you could just pasturize in the oven instead of having to go through the whole soaking deal. Can you point me in the direction of some more info on this tek? Has anyone else used this method with steady success rates.

Thanks

--------------------
You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
-Gandhi

GreyStreet is a fake character who posts fake information on an internet message board.
-Nothing More-

Offlinekjb1891
MycoManiac

Re: easiest bulk substrate? [Re: GreyStreet]
    #2342484 - 02/16/04 07:22 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I'm not sure if there is an actual tek for it, but I just tried it myself and it worked.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation