Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblejavacap
hazelnut

light confusion with bulk colonization
    #2338319 - 02/15/04 07:27 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I've been searching the forums for info on light and temps in the post-spawning, pre-pinning phases of the bulk-neglect-style method. I'm confused about the presence of light in the substrate colonization and casing phase. The information I found says to keep it dark until inducing pins, saying to inspect the substrate and prepinned casing in red or green light to avoid pinsetting. This sounds a bit complicated.

Should I keep the substrate and the early casing in complete darkness? If so, how long should I wait after casing before checking for colonization (because I gather that exposing the casing to normal light will induce pinning)?

thank you

--------------------
Magic Theater Not For Everyone
-Steppenwolf

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: light confusion with bulk colonization [Re: javacap]
    #2375671 - 02/25/04 11:05 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

>The information I found says to keep it dark until inducing pins,

Keep in dark while colonizing, keep in dark after applying a casing layer for 2-3 days, then uncover and place into terrarium.

Invisiblejavacap
hazelnut

Re: light confusion with bulk colonization [Re: Anno]
    #2377423 - 02/26/04 12:07 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Thank you. How will pinning and cropping be affected by continuous cool-white light 24/7? I'm unable to shut the lights off for more than six hours per day. Should I shut them off that long each day? Do they need any darkness during and beyond the pinning stage?

--------------------
-Steppenwolf

InvisibleZwieback0
Baby Bread
 User Gallery

#2377487 - 02/26/04 12:30 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

The light shouldn't be a problem. On 24/7 or not, it wont matter much. Pinning will commence, you will not see substantially more pins just b/c of the prolonged period of light.

Personally, if you can, have the lights on for just a couple of hours each day. thats all they need.

Invisiblejavacap
hazelnut

Re: light confusion with bulk colonization [Re: Zwieback0]
    #2379349 - 02/26/04 01:35 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

thanks for the tip. I understand that they don't *need* more than a few hours, but in my situation they will probably get 24/7, unless I go to a lot of trouble to give them only 2 hours each day, i.e. partitioning the room and adding more lights just for the mushies to get 2 hrs a day.

I'd like to hear from someone who has given them 18 to 24 hrs of light from pinning to harvest.

--------------------
-Steppenwolf

Invisibledobinky
infoseeker
 User Gallery
Loc: Wiki, Kentucky
    #2379633 - 02/26/04 02:39 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

do it and let us know how it works out....Maybe they will be stretched toward the light....or stumpy from thinking the light is near...whateevr the case you might as well experiment a little and let us know

but no matter what you will get fruits :smile:

--------------------
Today?s Pig is Tomorrow?s Bacon

Invisiblethe_damn

Loc: Hell Flag
    #15474506 - 12/06/11 02:24 PM (5 years, 3 days ago)

Again I dig up an old thread!  But this is the only thread I could find that deals with my issue, and I want to know if this information is correct and/or current or outdated.

So, should colonizing monotubs be kept in the darkness or not?  I ask because it seems like every single one of the 4 monotub grows I have under my belt started pinning long before I introduced FAE.

FYI, regarding light and air exchange for the colonizing tubs: I have just been leaving the colonizing tubs next to a window that lets in indirect sunlight because I thought they needed at least a little light.  And I keep eight 1.5" holes on each tub taped up to seal in CO2 for colonization (before removing the tape and adding polyfill for fruiting), but there are two very small (~1cm) holes in the handles of the tub that may be letting in too much O2...

--------------------
I'll be damn...

OfflineSomeGuy
I feel better now :)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: light confusion with bulk colonization [Re: the_damn]
    #15474535 - 12/06/11 02:30 PM (5 years, 3 days ago)

the reason they tell you to keep it in the dark while colonizing the casing is because if you don't, you will get uneven pinning and thats a hassle when all of your mush aren't flushing at the same time, but in the end, it's not a BIG deal. I've oftn left my subs under 24 hours of light and I don't see any difference.:shrug:here is a pick of a F?C with the light on the side, see how they are chasing the light?

Invisiblethe_damn

Loc: Hell Flag
Re: light confusion with bulk colonization [Re: SomeGuy]
    #15474578 - 12/06/11 02:40 PM (5 years, 3 days ago)

I understand that the fruits will chase the light, but I didn't know that having light hit the sub while it's colonizing would cause an uneven pinset so thanks for that tidbit.

I guess my question is this: why the hell are my tubs pinning (in some cases 3-4 inch pins!) before I introduce FAE?  Is it light?  The small (~1cm) holes in the top of the tub letting in too much air?  Something else?

--------------------
I'll be damn...

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
 User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #15474681 - 12/06/11 03:04 PM (5 years, 3 days ago)

There's nothing wrong with bumping an old thread when it's relevant to your question because it proves you're using the search engine here as you should. :thumbup:

No tub is air tight unless you tape the lid in place, which is not recommended.  It's not the light causing premature pinning.  Light is a secondary pinning trigger, but mycelium uses it as an energy source from day one.

Avoid bright, direct light, especially sunlight during colonization, but normal ambient room light is good, and will actually speed up colonization.

Whether your mycelium fruits in one giant flush, or in a few mushrooms at a time continuously(or only around the edges for example) is much more strain related than how you juggle fruiting parameters.  Obviously you can aid or screw up a good flush by failing to follow good pinning strategy, but keeping colonizing substrates in the dark is outdated info based on TMC, which was absolutely the best guide around at the time, and still has lots wonderful information in it.

If you want massive single flushes, isolate or clone a strain which will deliver that.  There's a lot to be said in favor of 'one flush wonders' because you get all your product at once and then discard the substrate outdoors before green molds naturally set in.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

OfflineDudester67
eat a dick win a pony
    #15475089 - 12/06/11 04:25 PM (5 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

the_damn said:
I guess my question is this: why the hell are my tubs pinning (in some cases 3-4 inch pins!) before I introduce FAE?

Because cubensis mycelium will pin after it has fully colonized and begun to digest the substrate, with or without fresh air.

I've long objected to the mantra:  "FAE is the number one pinning trigger."  This gets repeated endlessly on this site and I find that it can mislead people.  Evaporation of moisture occurs after full colonization, even in high CO2 colonization conditions.  This, in my experience, is the real number one pinning trigger.  I could show you many photos of wall-to-wall pins in tubs that have only allowed gas exchange.  Perhaps this is strain-related, in fact I'm sure on some level it is. 

And I should note that I have only ever worked with P. cubensis, so my experience is limited to this species.  But my experience with cubensis is somewhat extensive and worth taking seriously.

And "the_damn," you might want to try limiting your searches by year, which is an option on the search engine.  I agree that there's nothing wrong with bumping an old thread, but much has been learned and improved upon since 2003, so limiting your searches to cover only the last 4 years or so can be helpful.  Good luck with the tubs.

OfflineBargainBab
Hey Dere Ho Dere
Male User Gallery

Loc: Callisto
Re: light confusion with bulk colonization [Re: SomeGuy]
    #15476652 - 12/06/11 09:28 PM (5 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

paducahovoids said:
the reason they tell you to keep it in the dark while colonizing the casing is because if you don't, you will get uneven pinning and thats a hassle when all of your mush aren't flushing at the same time, but in the end, it's not a BIG deal. I've oftn left my subs under 24 hours of light and I don't see any difference.:shrug:here is a pick of a F?C with the light on the side, see how they are chasing the light?

Not to threadjack, but those are pretty nice fruits for an FC with no visible holes :shocked: Are they there? Or do you have another air system?.

I think it's also interesting how much they are veering toward the light. IME they follow airflow more than light, mine would grow into any position to follow the air unless the air was too still/nearly perfect, then they'd grow toward light.

--------------------
Oh wow, GOOD Nyborg!

OfflineSomeGuy
I feel better now :)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: light confusion with bulk colonization [Re: BargainBab]
    #15479412 - 12/07/11 11:43 AM (5 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

BargainBab said:
Quote:

paducahovoids said:

Not to threadjack, but those are pretty nice fruits for an FC with no visible holes :shocked: Are they there? Or do you have another air system?.

I think it's also interesting how much they are veering toward the light. IME they follow airflow more than light, mine would grow into any position to follow the air unless the air was too still/nearly perfect, then they'd grow toward light.

you can see it in the pic, but on the right side of the F/C is an inlet and outlet hooked to an impeller type cool mist. It does the trick nicely.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation