Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineNickster_154371
entheogen enthusiast
Male
Mineral Water?
    #2338208 - 02/15/04 06:46 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Would substituting regular tap water with mineral water be more beneficial when your making pf jars, or dunking, etc. ? I would think it would because its got more nutrients, but i wanted to ask the experts first.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineamyloid
Stranger
Re: Mineral Water? [Re: Nickster_154371]
    #2338241 - 02/15/04 06:56 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

i dont think it has more nutrients, and even if it did it would be miniscule in comparision to the substrates. plus what mineral water does have, is probably present in tap anyway, bottled is a differnt story though, but i still dont think it would make a difference. additives are just time consuming when all they do is increase the amount of available nutrients. if u want to add more nutrients soak with beer (boil out the alchy first), ive heard it speeds up colonization a smidge and it definitly has more of what the mycellium needs then mineral water. and coffee is great as an additive too, it seems to have a relation to good pinning and faster colonization. check the advanced forum or mycotopia for the details on coffee.

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

OfflineFirstAvailable
enthusiast
 User Gallery

Re: Mineral Water? [Re: Nickster_154371]
    #2338266 - 02/15/04 07:07 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Wouldn't mineral water add CO2 to the substrate? I was cnsiddering using the hawk tek for substrate, but wasn't sure about the mineral water, because it has CO2 bubbles in it, and isn't CO2 bad for colonization?

Although, I am a newb at this, so I am probably wrong.

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
Re: Mineral Water? [Re: FirstAvailable]
    #2338279 - 02/15/04 07:11 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

low amounts of co2 isnt bad for colonization, and the amount disolved in mineral water is extremely low. plus mycellium naturally respirates co2... heres a little blurb from Teonan's post on respiration and humidity, which i recommend you read if you want a better understanding of mycology.

[url=http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum4&Number=2194970]
I think gas exchange is a good think during vegetative growth in a jar. I think it replaces oxygen lost, and decreases Co2. I think both are necessary for the most rapid healthy growth. I think replacing oxygen is responsible for the increased growth rate of filtered jars. Filtered jars can be incubated at higher temps then non filtered jars without experiencing as much sweat. I think Co2 reduction is critical for pin formation, in co2 sensitive mushrooms.. The reduction of Co2 from the jar has no adverse effect, it is being released from the fungus. [/url]

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

Offlinekjb1891
MycoManiac

Re: Mineral Water? [Re: amyloid]
    #2338612 - 02/15/04 09:14 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I know someone who when soaking their WBS, they usually add some honey and a little bit of beer to the mix and it helps out quite a bit.

OfflineTantalus
Beyonddescription.
Re: Mineral Water? [Re: kjb1891]
    #2339058 - 02/15/04 11:31 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

kjb1891 said:
I know someone who when soaking their WBS, they usually add some honey and a little bit of beer to the mix and it helps out quite a bit.

Do they rinse after soaking? Most people here seem to recommend that, but wouldn't that wash away anything beneficial you added with the honey & beer?

--------------------
"A nation's hope of lasting peace cannot be firmly based upon any race in armaments but rather upon just relations and honest understanding with all other nations...

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed... The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. We pay for a single fighter with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people..."

President Dwight Eisenhower, 1953

Offlinekjb1891
MycoManiac

Re: Mineral Water? [Re: Tantalus]
    #2339292 - 02/16/04 12:34 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

They don't rinse it. Just put the WBS in a pot or some kind of container, squeeze out a liberal amount of honey on the WBS. Then, if they're putting together about 8-12 jars, they pure in 1-1.5 beers. Next, fill up the rest with water so it's just a little bit above the WBS. They usually take out all the black seeds, but you don't have to. It seems to colonize faster if you do. Soak for 12-24 hours, drain for about a half hour, then load in to jars and sterilize like normal.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation