Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Ayahuasca, Banisteriopsis Caapi, DXM, Syrian Rue

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCerebralFlower
whats left?

Loc: only the truth is left
MAOIs
    #2337901 - 02/15/04 05:15 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Why doesnt everyone take MAOIs before you trip? I was reading the does calculator and it increases the potency times 2. And i was reading on erowid that Paxil decreased acid effects... but its a MAOI.
Has anyone used paxil as a MAOI to increase a shroom trip, does it work?
What other MAOIs have you all tried succesfully?

--------------------
God says dance with your heart
And shake free of you desire

Where theres a will theres always a way
When you get confused listen to the music play

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebiglo
Shroomery BabySitter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: US of A
Re: MAOIs [Re: CerebralFlower]
    #2337916 - 02/15/04 05:20 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Well, mostly because of the side effects. MAOI like syrian rue tend to make people nauseous, they're usually not fun to take, and they make you more lethargic, meaning you lay around more.

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

#2337919 - 02/15/04 05:21 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I was under the impression that any MAOIs worked. It's just the other antidepression pills, SSRIs(And another one that doesn't do anything great), that lessen your trip.

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
    #2338201 - 02/15/04 06:45 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

don't fuck with prescription MAOIs some can be alot more dangerous than syrian rue, i always like to dose some rue before a trip, i extract the harmaline so there is no nausea at all. it's really easy to extract check eroid there is a good tek there. it's a wonderful combination :sun:

--------------------
There's a thin line between sanity and insanity... and I just snorted it.

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Re: MAOIs [Re: John]
    #2338207 - 02/15/04 06:46 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

*erowid

--------------------

OfflineCerebralFlower
whats left?

Loc: only the truth is left
    #2338594 - 02/15/04 09:10 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

SO jtryptamine- it potentiates the trip alot right? Is it true that it makes you more lethargic?
BTW i have a pretty hearty stomach suprisingly, and dont puke very often when taking drugs

--------------------
God says dance with your heart
And shake free of you desire

Where theres a will theres always a way
When you get confused listen to the music play

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

#2339271 - 02/16/04 12:25 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

yeah more lethargic. some say it makes the shrooms 2x's as potent which is misleading imo, it does make the trip more intense but it's certanly diffrent than eating twice as many shrooms. maybe it's my mindset because recently i've been steering away from chemicals (rc's)and more into enthobotanicals lately but i find the trip has a very nature/earthy tone moreso than normal, shrooms always have a more natural kinda feel to them but rue intensifys it. probably wouldn't be good to do where you would have to walk around alot, i find myself laying down almost the whole trip. i think every tripper should experience it at least once i bet most of you would like it, sometimes it can get a little rough i think passing out would be more common than normal with rue/shrooms. i've never passed out on shrooms (even massive doses) but have came close with this combo.

--------------------

Offlinejong21
Mycologist/CSMajor

Loc: Berkeley, CA
    #2339323 - 02/16/04 12:43 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

hey j, mind if I ask which erowid extract you recommend? there are quite a few on the site.

--------------------
I either talk about my friends in the first or third person, but I never, ever talk about myself on this website. Except that last sentence.

OfflineBenFungTorez
Los Rancheros!

Loc: Way up there...
    #2339325 - 02/16/04 12:44 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

how MAOIs work....increase norepiniphrine and dopamine release from neurons...i'm sure everyone is aware of this...but,
These are considered a second or third line agent in treating mood disorders due to PATIENT SAFETY ISSUES!
Some adverse effects include....
anxiety, agitation, lethargy, mania, GI upset.....and....sexual dysfunction...not that that is really important in the throws of a trip...
i wouldn't be too keen on using these, i mean who wants anxiety and agitation duringa fragile state of mind....just my two cents...
BTW, these side effects are for some of the more common prescribed MAOIs...each is a little different and hence has individual side effects...i wonder if natural sources have the same effects.
take care....BFT.

Offlinejong21
Mycologist/CSMajor

Loc: Berkeley, CA
Re: MAOIs [Re: BenFungTorez]
    #2339356 - 02/16/04 12:54 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Ben...those side effects are textbook side effects from the info label on a prescription drug.

Three things. First, not everyone is going to suffer from even 1 of those effects and definitely not all. Second, we aren't talking about MAOI's prescribed for mood disorders, we are talking about harmaline, a substance found in syrian rue seeds and other plants such as b. caapi, used in ayahuasca. Third, those side effects are likely to occur moreso with prolonged usage than just use once.

Small doses of harmline alone don't do much, they inhibit monoamine oxidase, and may make one feel a little high, relaxed, etc. Large doses can get turn into fucked up experiences, but I don't htink anyone is suggesting a large dose. Most people will combine just enough rue to get the MAOI effects with shrooms, to strengthen the trip (MAO does help break do wn psilocin). So the only real problem people have with doses of this size are nausea from the seeds themselves, which the stomach doesn't like.

--------------------
I either talk about my friends in the first or third person, but I never, ever talk about myself on this website. Except that last sentence.

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Re: MAOIs [Re: jong21]
    #2340479 - 02/16/04 11:25 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

http://www.erowid.org/plants/syrian_rue/syrian_rue_extraction2.shtml

really easy and results in nice orange/brown crystal :laugh:

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #2340508 - 02/16/04 11:43 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I would not claim that MAOIs increase the potency times 2. For me there was really not much increase in the trip, but rather a large dose trip was much more mellow and easier to take. An MAOI doesn't just bump up the trip. It also alters the way the trip unfolds.

An MAOI isn't something to take lightly. If you mess up, you can easily end up in the hospital or the cemetary. Before playing with an MAOI be sure to read as much as you can about it. Mixing an MAOI with some types of foods and some types of drugs (such as DXM) often result in death.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineOook
Oook!

Loc: England
Re: MAOIs [Re: Seuss]
    #2340763 - 02/16/04 01:17 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Seuss is right also you DO NOT want to take MAOI's if you are taking SSRI's, its just a bad idea plain and simple.

Generally I would suggest simply taking more shrooms instead of combining them with a MAOI.

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Re: MAOIs [Re: Seuss]
    #2342731 - 02/16/04 08:16 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

that's exactly what i said except for mentioning the dangers and i feel it potentiates the trip alot, i figure people know drugs are dangerous and to do lots of research before injesting something based on what i or others say if not well it's gonna catch up with them sooner or later.

Quote:

Generally I would suggest simply taking more shrooms instead of combining them with a MAOI.

with general maoi precautions i belive harmine/harmaline to be pretty safe and it's completly diffrent than just eating more mushrooms. alot safer than prescription maoi-b's.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Ayahuasca, Banisteriopsis Caapi, DXM, Syrian Rue

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience