Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleSHiZNO
-

brown on stems AGAIN!
    #2336564 - 02/15/04 04:15 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

my friends latest grow has brown at the base of the stems...theyre sorta like spots that appear on some shrooms...he scaped that layer of mycelium off and its clean/white mycelium underneath...

i dont know wtf is happening with them....he scraped them off and is drying them but he doesnt want to die from this crap...ive looked thru the contam faq here and search mycotopia but cant find ANYTHING on it.

oh and his camera sucks so he cant take good pics :frown:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinescotsman1
addict
 User Gallery

Loc: guess
Re: brown on stems AGAIN! [Re: SHiZNO]
    #2336603 - 02/15/04 05:51 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I'd bet it's nothing and it wouldn't
put me off taking them, just some
natural growth, sure its not spores
dropping onto the stems.

--------------------
We're Bought and Sold
For English Gold

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#2337039 - 02/15/04 11:18 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Brown spots on caps/stems can be a Pseudomonas infection. If it is only on the surface and doesn't appear to penetrate very deeply, there isn't much to be worried about. The species that cause this are A) Non-pathogenic, and B) Don't live after being dried.
The caveat: If the brown spots become extensive, there can be secondary bacterial infections. . .these are more of a crap shoot [though still likely not harmful]. They usually are accompanied by bad smells, blackening, a look of putridity [nice word!] and are usually not consumed for that reason.
I've eaten many a fruit that had slight "bacterial blotch". There is ALWAYS the potential for someone to have a specific allergy, but in general it is not something to be worried about if it's occuring to a small degree.

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: brown on stems AGAIN! [Re: Suntzu]
    #2337067 - 02/15/04 11:30 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Here are some slight bacterial blotch cases. . .Granted, it's a very slight infection.  IME, seeing it on stems is not as common as seeing it on the caps.  Another possibility is a non-infective cause of the browning.  People have reported such things, it appears to happen sometimes in very high rH environments.
BTW, that pic was from a long time ago;  Just for personal interest I cultured one of the brown spots. . .I made an emulsion of it and struck it out for isolation on agar.  The result was Pseudomonas :laugh:

Of course, without a pic it's hard to be definitive, but I'd say you're fine.

InvisibleSHiZNO
-

#2337883 - 02/15/04 03:10 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

it doesnt look like that...its more so just small brown spots....the smell isnt POTENT, i asked someone what they smelt like and they said "mushrooms" ...it doesnt smell like roses...but it also doesnt smell like anything really sick

anyway i ate a small abort with the brown dots last night (14 hours ago) and im ok so far..

--------------------

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #2348759 - 02/18/04 03:29 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I agree with Suntzu. Nothing to worry about IMHO.
Keep coding .....

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
    #2349337 - 02/18/04 09:12 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Read through this thread regarding verticillium:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...t=1#Post1279218

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: brown on stems AGAIN! [Re: Joshua]
    #2352733 - 02/18/04 10:40 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks Joshua, I didn't even think about Verticillium.  I believe it's in the same category of concern as Pseudomonas. . .if it's not too bad, it's not too bad :wink:

I don't know enough to say, but I wonder if it's safe to say that brown spots/streaks on stems are more likely Verticillium, and spots on caps are more likely Pseudomonas. . .The Verticillium infection pics I've seen manifested gnarled, bent, fuzzy, and otherwise f'd up fruitbodies.

InvisibleSHiZNO
-

#2354354 - 02/19/04 10:50 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

the shrooms themself arent mutants tho...they just had those spots on them... which had white mycelium underneath if scraped off the thin layer with a knife...

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies