Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

Loc: Canada West
Re: Collapse of Industrial Civilization [Re: timetravel]
    #2347050 - 02/17/04 05:57 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

How about how the diesel engine was originally designed to run on hemp seed oil. Growing hemp enriches the soil instead of depletes it. It promotes health.

Everyone in NorthAmerica should be building up defences around their hidden plots and hording life sustaining supplies.

--------------------

We have to answer our own prayers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Collapse of Industrial Civilization [Re: recalcitrant]
    #2347092 - 02/17/04 06:10 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

How about how the diesel engine was originally designed to run on hemp seed oil.

the first idea was to run it on coal dust, and then he switched to vegetable oil... peanut oil actually. if you own a diesel driven car or truck, you can convert it to run on vegetable oil fairly easily with an inexpensive kit. "biodiesel" can also be made from vegetable oil and fed straight into a nonconverted diesel engine. why aren't more people doing this you ask? because petroleum is still cheaper.

Growing hemp enriches the soil instead of depletes it.

hemp is not a nitrogen-fixing crop. it does not enrich the soil.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Collapse of Industrial Civilization [Re: ]
    #2347202 - 02/17/04 06:40 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

The energy contained in a single lightning stroke can power a 100 Watt light bulb for 90 days, which is equivalent to 215 kWh (kilo-Watt hours).

http://home.fuse.net/engineering/LightningFacts.htm

Around here electricity goes for about $.06 per KiloWatthour. So an average lightning bolt is worth about $13.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: Collapse of Industrial Civilization [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2347335 - 02/17/04 07:21 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Your letting it all go to waste!!! O wait... can capcitors hold electrical strikes from lightning?

--------------------
What?

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
    #2366153 - 02/21/04 11:20 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

1. people will continue to use oil as long as it is the cheapest available source of energy.
2. as oil becomes more expensive than other sources of energy, people will turn to those other sources.
3. if energy becomes more expensive, people will use less of it

Factories rely on oil to run and so as oil becomes more expensive, unfortunately, it will not be possible to produce solar panels, electric cars, etc. So we need to act now to produce alternative energy run cities if more people are to survive the effects of the oil crash. Check this link I posted in another thread http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

Anonymous

Re: Collapse of Industrial Civilization [Re: enotake2]
    #2367824 - 02/22/04 12:39 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Factories rely on oil to run and so as oil becomes more expensive, unfortunately, it will not be possible to produce solar panels, electric cars, etc.

it will not only be possible, it will be profitable. as oil energy becomes more expensive, manufacturing just about anything will indeed become more expensive. it will not become impossible though, and if we are talking about manufacturing technologies for obtaining energy from alternate sources, it the increased rewards will outweigh the increased costs.

1. energy will become more expensive, at least until the technology catches up. life will be harder. it will not however, be a return to something resembling pre-industrial society, or a post-apocalyptic wasteland, or any other doomsday scenario.

2. burning oil does create pollution. increased levels of CO2 in the atmosphere, and increased temperatures, while they will not, in the grand scheme of life on earth, cause real damage to the ecosystem, they may very well be pretty detrimental to some humans. i believe however, that the costs of limiting greenhouse emissions outweigh the benefits.

don't forget that when we burn oil, we are burning biomass; very, very old biomass. it was once a part of the carbon cycle, and it will be again, whether we dig it up or not. all that coal and oil won't stay buried forever. earth is too dynamic for that.

OfflineProtester
Stoner ReekingHavok

#2368075 - 02/22/04 01:35 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I was reading in discover magizen 2 years ago a millionair who owed a chicken processing plant had came up with a way to make synthetic oil from chicken bones and used tires through a procress of heat and pressure and recieved some federal funding to build a facilty 3 miles from his chicken processing plant. But i beleave this to just be a front put on by the man to get federal funding to dispose of his chicken waste

--------------------
I work my shitty 9-5 and I pay my taxes, I'm not hurting anybody else. So why do you care what i do in my spare time.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale