Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineThirdEyeFungi
Stranger
When is the best time to harvest shrooms
    #2335740 - 02/14/04 09:45 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Hi I have read that you should harvest your mushrooms before the caps open. Is this true and why? Thanks people

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBen_Stein
Spelling Gestapo

Loc: Hooterville
Re: When is the best time to harvest shrooms [Re: ThirdEyeFungi]
    #2335845 - 02/14/04 11:19 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

You can harvest any time you want.  They're your shrooms.  :lol:

No, that's not true.  :rolleyes:  But big open caps make the prettiest pictures!  :eyemouth:

They are at their best just before or as the veil is tearing away from the cap.  This simply means that at this time there exists the best compromise of size vs. potency.

Psiloc(yb)in production stops at this point, so any further growth is basically water weight.  But if you are going to take prints you will need to pick after the caps open, but before the spores drop.  Once the spores fall, the shroom begins to die.  :frown:

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: When is the best time to harvest shrooms [Re: Ben_Stein]
    #2336143 - 02/15/04 01:17 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Ben_Stein can I have the source, I see a lot of debate on this subject.

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

OfflineBen_Stein
Spelling Gestapo

Re: When is the best time to harvest shrooms [Re: Starter] * 1
    #2336798 - 02/15/04 09:08 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Starter said:
Ben_Stein can I have the source, I see a lot of debate on this subject.

I'll see if I can find something official. It may be that I've been overexposed to hearsay.

edited to say: Sure hope I don't turn out to be just another 'old wife'.

Edited by Ben_Stein (02/15/04 09:10 AM)

OfflineBen_Stein
Spelling Gestapo

Re: When is the best time to harvest shrooms [Re: Ben_Stein] * 1
    #2336839 - 02/15/04 09:20 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

This is from MMMG v3.2, for what it's worth:

Quote:

"You should avoid the temptation to grow the mushrooms as large as possible. Significantly more psilocybin is produced during the early periods of growth. By letting the mushroom grow too large you are simply consuming nutrients and moisture from the rice cake for no purpose. Also, the mushrooms taste increasingly bad as they get larger. Lastly, the mycelium network in the cake can only provide so much in the way of nutrients and water to maturing mushrooms. If you let the mushrooms grow too big, they will hurt the development of other mushrooms on the cake. The mushrooms should be picked just as the veil underneath the cap is starting to tear away from the stalk."

--------------------
I'm so ready to start growing. I've shroomed twice and loved it to no extent. --Mindgames

Anonymous

#2336852 - 02/15/04 09:26 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I honestly don't think thats proof of any kind...if you read the "the authors first trip" you'll see the dude is pretty ignorant...I personally don't think it makes a noticable difference and I prefer to let my shrooms spread their caps and sporulate...thats when they are at their most beautiful imo

InvisibleSemilanceata
No god, no boss

Loc: República Federal Íbera
    #2336887 - 02/15/04 09:41 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Ben_Stein said:
But if you are going to take prints you will need to pick after the caps open, but before the spores drop.  Once the spores fall, the shroom begins to die.  :frown:

Or maybe you should wait until you see some spores falling, so it doesn?t happen like here: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...sb=5&o=&fpart=1

--------------------
Sr_Setahongo

InvisibleSemilanceata
No god, no boss

Loc: República Federal Íbera
Re: When is the best time to harvest shrooms [Re: ]
    #2336915 - 02/15/04 09:52 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Yes man, I?ve had very good times eating mature shrooms. But I?ve also had very good times eating shrooms a la "when the veil begins to tear". My personal favourite is an aborts dose. Man, I love aborts.
IMO, this is like talking about how you like your T-Bone. Personally I like it almost raw.

--------------------
Sr_Setahongo

OfflineBen_Stein
Spelling Gestapo

Re: When is the best time to harvest shrooms [Re: ]
    #2336944 - 02/15/04 10:12 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

bluethumb said:
I honestly don't think thats proof of any kind...

I'm not trying to prove anything, except that this information is out there somewhere.

I think we're all on the same page here.  Pick 'em when ya wanna!  :wink:

I think the undeniable yumminess of aborts has something to say about when psiloc(yb)in production begins.  As to when it declines, who cares as long as it's already there.

--------------------
I'm so ready to start growing. I've shroomed twice and loved it to no extent. --Mindgames

Offlinegrowmore
up it goes
 User Gallery
Loc: Cow field
    #2337364 - 02/15/04 12:49 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

The psilocybin is more potent in smaller shroomes because this is what the use as ther selfdefenc and a little shroome is more likely to be eaten in the wild that a big shroom this is just what i have read some where so if this is true im not to sure .

--------------------
check my journal for my trade list

You see what you want to see not what it makes you see. I see said the blind man to the deaf women .

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #2337451 - 02/15/04 01:11 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Good going Ben_Stein on finding the source, as it's a question that seems to pop up a lot. Here is is again. I think it's a question that's going to be on the boards forever until someone does a load of tests.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum1&Number=2332979

As for taste, well I put mushrooms into caspules, there's nothing nice IMO about the taste of them, abort or spore dumping flat tops.

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate