Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
V-Day, Poached Cajun Catfish, Sauted Portab., Zuchini, PICS
    #2335675 - 02/14/04 11:20 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Poached Cajun Catfish
Sauted Portabellos
Smoked Chipolte Rice (Just a Lipton 10 min side dish  :crazy:)

Well, it was last minute, and on a budget as we are saving to go to Europe in 3 weeks, but it turned out pretty damn good IMO.

This was my first time poaching fish, and I am really impressed.  I think this will be a frequent addition to my diet.  :thumbup:

4 (6-ounce) farm-raised catfish fillets
1 teaspoon Creole seasoning (such as Tony Chachere's)
1 teaspoon butter
Cooking spray
1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 1/2 cups Riesling or other slightly sweet white wine

Sprinkle fish with seasoning.
Melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and garlic; saut? 3 minutes. Add wine; bring to a boil. Add fish; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 16 minutes or until the fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Remove fish with a spatula; place 1 fillet on each of 4 plates. Bring poaching liquid to a boil; cook until reduced to 1/2 cup (about 2 minutes). Strain poaching liquid through a sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Spoon 2 tablespoons poaching liquid over each fillet.

I couldn't find Shallots, so I used a Vidalia onion instead.

Next were the sauted portabellos.  Nothing fancy, just butter, pepper, and salt.

The rice is just a Lipton concoction, that while definitely tasty, was too spicy and overpowered the fish, so I didn't eat much.

Last but certainly not least is something I make that's really simple that my girlfriend and I both love.  I just slice zuchini and put it a microwavable dish and spray with "I can't believe it's not butter" or you could use real butter, I just find it easier to get an even coat with the spray.  Cover it and nuke for a few minutes.  You want it to absorb the butter while staying crisp.  It takes less that 5 minutes and tastes awesome.

I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing