Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineExtravagantDream
Beacon in theDarkness
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in the Local Su...
A Cleaner Room
    #2334790 - 02/14/04 05:26 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Recently, having some contamination problems and spreading far accross the room, I have become concerned for more than just my own health. HEPA filters do a great job but still let some smaller particles through and the use of alcohol/bleach mist leaves me feeling woozy even after several hours of leaving the room.

So, the most effective thing to stop air born contaminants seems to be ultraviolet electromagnetic waves. More specifically UV-C (short wave)/UVGI (germicidle irradiation) at wave lengths between 200nm and 280nm.

I have some concerns about using this type of radiation though as you can imagine. I know UV-C causes alteration of DNA (photoproducts) but will not cause cancer such as UV-B, which creates both photproducts and causes oxidative DNA damage. Nonetheless I would rather not be exposed to this stuff if harmful, which is just the thing, I can't seem to find just How harmful this stuff is. I remember reading research on TB control with high-cieling UV-C lamps in shelter homes, which suggests either; certain levels of UV-C exposure is harmless, or; the radiation is mostly absorbed before reaching the floor.

Does anyone have any more information on how far UV-C (more specifically 254nm) can travel through air and what type of materials absorb and let the radiation pass through. Most places that I see selling these handheld UV-C lamps don't give any warning about exposure and only sometimes note slight irritation of skin and eyes.

I have also noticed that some of these lights create Ozone, which I am not particularly fond of, with it being more harmful to us then contaminations, so I trying to find a way to circumvent this. Is this just the nature of the frequency; to split Oxygen molecules and create Ozone?

Thanks for the help

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCrazyJulio
journeyman
Re: A Cleaner Room [Re: ExtravagantDream]
    #2335651 - 02/14/04 11:03 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Man, I wouldn't even mess with some of that stuff by the sounds of things.  (The irradiation that is).  If the air filter doesn't work and alcohol makes you sick, try lysol.  But with an air filter, your air should be fine unless there's all sorts of moldy bread all over the place or something. 

Clean up the room if it's dirty, and keep the air filter going.  Good luck, don't irradiate yourself :smile:

Offlinerelativexistance
"beads, bees!?!?beads ....BEADS!!!"
 User Gallery

Re: A Cleaner Room [Re: CrazyJulio]
    #2336210 - 02/15/04 03:40 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Ozone isn't entirely bad. At a certain level it won't be harmful. What is an amazing machine are the ozone\ionizer machines they have out to purify the air. They do wonders!. They ionize the air making all the particles stick togetherand fall to the ground do to the increased size, and the one sterilizes th shit. Buy an ozone machine if you can, they are expensive but if you can afford it your air will be very very clean. Although you must make sure your shit isnt too high otherwise it is bad news, but i Have had an ozone machine in my house for a couple years now and I used to get sick from the carpets often but now I rarely am afflicted by such illnesses.

OfflineExtravagantDream
Beacon in theDarkness
 User Gallery

Re: A Cleaner Room [Re: relativexistance]
    #2336361 - 02/15/04 04:24 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Lysol leaves a residue, I was trying to get away from anything of that sort. The room is fairly clean, it's no cleanroom but certainly livable.

I am more interested in keeping spores at bay, keeping them from spreading, more than anything else. Perhaps, using it when I am removing contaminated things or to have it running while I'm not in the room.

From my experience ionizers dont cover a large area.

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#2337117 - 02/15/04 01:46 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Yeesh, personally I wouldn't try to incorporate UV into my personal space :wink: .
I've worked in several labs that have the ceiling-mounted UV bulbs [I don't know the type of UV or intensity, but they weren't that bright, only came on at night].  Their effectiveness is reduced as a function of the square of the distance [that's right, isn't it?].  IMO they are no substitute for a good air filtration system, and were essentially useless in those labs.  They work well in hoods, though, but hoods are reflective metal and the bulbs have not much distance to cover.
I am no expert on UV, but my instinct would be leaning towards getting a couple extra walmart hepas going :wink:

OfflineExtravagantDream
Beacon in theDarkness
 User Gallery

Re: A Cleaner Room [Re: Suntzu]
    #2337756 - 02/15/04 04:43 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

No doubt, it is in no way substitution for good cleaning techniques and HEPA filters, that is not my plan. More so, just an extra measure of safety, so that if a contam does break out, a UV lamp is right there to kill, or at least stop cell splitting capabilities in floating spores.

You are right about the effectiveness reducing by the square of the distance (assuming it went through a vacuum) but particles in the air will also absorb some of this energy. Just how much is what I am trying to figure out. This will probably be incorporated into a flow hood but depending on how well this thing works, I would also like to use it as an extra measure of safety right before or during fanning.

The reason that they did not appear very bright is because they are ment to create UV light, something you cannot see. However the gas they use does emit some visible light making it appear a light blue. Some are filtered to take out the visible light though and it is quite hard to tell the difference between on and off.

OfflineExtravagantDream
Beacon in theDarkness
 User Gallery

#2339008 - 02/15/04 11:19 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I haven't decided against this but I just found something nice...

http://www.surroundair.com/ionic-air-purifier.htm
Looks like a killer deal for a one room air purifyer, we should do a group buy some how. Or someone gets them all and ships them out. If you get 6 they are only 130  :shocked:

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#2353985 - 02/19/04 10:22 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I definitly would need one of these. I have trich spores all around in my house. The place is just too small for that hobby here.
But I think shipping one of those to europe would be very expensive, what do you mean ?

OfflineExtravagantDream
Beacon in theDarkness
 User Gallery

Re: A Cleaner Room [Re: ragadinks]
    #2354790 - 02/19/04 02:56 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Well, it says shipping is included but I don't know if that is for across seas as well. You may want to contact them about that.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum