Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelotzbetter
LidMaster
Male

Mycelium taking over the dry vermiculite barrier...
    #23346555 - 06/15/16 09:22 AM (8 years, 9 days ago)

Hello Everyone! This is my first post on the message board - however, I've been lurking these boards for quite a long while! I had an interesting birthing of a cake yesterday and decided to share with everyone.

This particular cake has seemed to strongly out-perform all other cakes and was fully noc'ed at day 7. This picture was taken yesterday, which was day 15.

Has anyone ever seen the mycelium take over the non-nutrient top layer? I have seen small wisps of growth stretch their little arms up to the jar lid in search of tasty nutrients but I have NEVER seen solid growth like this before. Has this cake evolved into it's perfect form or something? It seemed to colonize at a rate almost 3 times as fast as the other cakes that were subjected to all of the same variables. Same substrate batch, same temp, same location, same light...etc...

I'm thinking that a tissue transfer is in order from this one... or at least a print or two.

Thanks for all the information everyone, it was a big help in starting this grow after an extremely long hiatus!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemupetmower
Mower of Muppets
Male User Gallery

Loc: Here and There
Re: Mycelium taking over the dry vermiculite barrier... [Re: lotzbetter] * 2
    #23346564 - 06/15/16 09:24 AM (8 years, 9 days ago)

that looks like contam/bacteria. bad. the myc can for sure grow into the verm layer, but not like that. see how it looks like marshmallows, and not like normal myc? its fucked. that would explain the super fast growth, too. does it not stink really bad?

also, for future reference, a print will not perform exactly like the fruit it was taken from. a clone will, but not spores. also, the perfect form thing was super funny =p but definitely not  a perfect form for myc, but a perfectly contam'd form.

--------------------
-The wise man never stops seeking knowledge.

-I wanna feel the change consume me, feel the outside turning in. I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within.

Edited by mupetmower (06/15/16 09:27 AM)

Offlinespacechildo
proletarians rise up
Male User Gallery

Loc: Babylon
Re: Mycelium taking over the dry vermiculite barrier... [Re: mupetmower]
    #23346568 - 06/15/16 09:25 AM (8 years, 9 days ago)

yeah that's not cube myc, sorry, just trash it.
:hi: mower!

Invisiblemupetmower
Mower of Muppets
Male User Gallery

Re: Mycelium taking over the dry vermiculite barrier... [Re: spacechildo]
    #23346575 - 06/15/16 09:26 AM (8 years, 9 days ago)

hey space! :wave:

and yeah, sorry OP.

--------------------

-I wanna feel the change consume me, feel the outside turning in. I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within.

OfflineMr. Magic
Male

#23346627 - 06/15/16 09:51 AM (8 years, 9 days ago)

It looks like you could take a spoonful of it like pudding :lol:

Gross :puke:

--------------------

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ★
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mycelium taking over the dry vermiculite barrier... [Re: Mr. Magic]
    #23346694 - 06/15/16 10:12 AM (8 years, 9 days ago)

Like was said, trash.  "outperformed"  "perfect form"  :rofl:

--------------------
                            :rainbowdrink: Tea doesn't work?                            AMU  (Q & A)                  Grain prep for Intergalactic Space Oats :pes:     

Coir-ca-cola
Jokes are funny until they're about you

Offlinelotzbetter
LidMaster
Male

Re: Mycelium taking over the dry vermiculite barrier... [Re: Inocuole]
    #23346831 - 06/15/16 10:50 AM (8 years, 9 days ago)

But it smelled so mushroomy and delicous!  :sad:

ALAS!

From the depths of this bacterial grave I shall return!

Nothing will stop me from cultivating delicious fungal fruits!
(With the exception of this cake.....this cake has definitely stopped me from that...)

Thank you hivemind... I will post again when I have something other than a massively contaminated specimen...  :p

--------------------

Invisiblemupetmower
Mower of Muppets
Male User Gallery

Re: Mycelium taking over the dry vermiculite barrier... [Re: lotzbetter]
    #23347017 - 06/15/16 11:42 AM (8 years, 9 days ago)

im surprised it smelled ok, honestly.. looks like it wouldve smelled awful.

--------------------

OfflineMycoLoopology
Eye's wide open
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Mycelium taking over the dry vermiculite barrier... *DELETED* [Re: mupetmower]
    #23347028 - 06/15/16 11:44 AM (8 years, 9 days ago)

Post deleted by MycoLoopology

Reason for deletion: privacy

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #23347030 - 06/15/16 11:45 AM (8 years, 9 days ago)

if it smelt like mycelium, maybe it was some mutant mycelium strain :shrug:

Mycelium looks like cotton, not like pudding. So, trash the contents. Sorry OP.

--------------------
"What you must understand is that your physical dimension affects everyone in the higher dimensions as well. All things are interconnected. All things are One. Therefore, if one dimension is broken or out of balance, then all other dimensions will experience repercussions." - Pleiadian Prophecy 2020 The New Golden Age by James Carwin

PROJECT BLUE BOOK ANALYSIS! (312 pages!) | Psychedelics & UFOs | Ready to Contact UFOs? | The Source on Mushrooms:shroomeryhead:| Trippy Gematrix | Dj TeknoLogical | Fentanyl Test Kits R.I.P. Big Worm :tombstone: || The Start of the Ascension Process was 2020. Welcome to the Next Great Era of Earth 🌎🌍🌏                                                         
:sunny::bliss::mushroom2: Oregon Eclipse Festival 2017 :: Aug 19th - 21st :: Pure Paradise :mushroom2::bliss::sunny: :rainbowdrink: Very Effective LSA Extraction Tek :rainbowdrink: | 💧 Advanced Cold Water LSA Extraction Method 💧 | :cacti::bongload: Mescajuana - Mescaline with Marijuana | DMT Dab Bongs | UFO Technology! :shpongle:Shpongle:shpongle:   

Invisiblemupetmower
Mower of Muppets
Male User Gallery

Re: Mycelium taking over the dry vermiculite barrier... [Re: MycoLoopology]
    #23347031 - 06/15/16 11:45 AM (8 years, 9 days ago)

no, it 100% can not be healthy cube myc. its just not. =p goopy, marshmallowy, pudding, sour cream, whipped cream, myc.. haha

OP, is this your first grow? have you smelled healthy mushroom myc before? it has a distinct smell. not trying to be adick, just curious. if that thing really did smell healthy, then idk. but it for sure isnt healthy.

--------------------

Edited by mupetmower (06/15/16 11:49 AM)

OfflineMycoLoopology
Eye's wide open
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Mycelium taking over the dry vermiculite barrier... *DELETED* [Re: mupetmower]
    #23347057 - 06/15/16 11:53 AM (8 years, 9 days ago)

Post deleted by MycoLoopology

Reason for deletion: privacy

Offlinespacechildo
proletarians rise up
Male User Gallery

Loc: Babylon
Re: Mycelium taking over the dry vermiculite barrier... [Re: MycoLoopology]
    #23347260 - 06/15/16 01:00 PM (8 years, 9 days ago)

I love how you used gloves to hold the jar while taking the lid off in open air :wink:

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mycelium taking over the dry vermiculite barrier... [Re: spacechildo]
    #23347272 - 06/15/16 01:05 PM (8 years, 9 days ago)

:whathesaid:

Offlinelotzbetter
LidMaster
Male

Re: Mycelium taking over the dry vermiculite barrier... [Re: bodhisatta]
    #23347734 - 06/15/16 03:15 PM (8 years, 9 days ago)

Yes. I have done a lot of grows in the past. (5-6 years ago).
I've done quite a bit of bulk substrate (a few double tubs, etc...)
When it comes to cakes, I stopped using the PF Tek after my first grow, but I figured I would start once again with cakes this time around since I am so "un-current".
On my last endeavors, contams were hardly an issue. I have only ever had one project ruined by foreign nasties and it was a small straw casing that was ruined by some foreign non-mushroom makin' bacteria. (cobweb- me thinks?)

This is my first grow this time around, but that mushroom smell is something I will never forget! :smile:
The top of the jar was actually not 'pudding like' in any way...It was firm and sunk in slightly when touched. It honestly looked like incredibly thick/firm mycelium and I believe it collapsed slightly due to the dry vermiculite being so airy. But to err on the safe side - I ended up tossing the cake anyway.

I did, however, decide to dissect it a little bit before tossing it. Underwater, where It was currently being dunked, I sliced the cake in half. There was absolutely no mycelium growing inside, only the outside. I ended up taking the entire cake outside and dropped her in a shady spot - I tossed a bit of straw on top and sprayed some water on it... We'll see what happens with that (if anything).

I still have 8 jars that are colonizing. 4 are at 100% and I am waiting on another 4 that are anywhere from 50-75% colonized. I have them in a room, out in the open, no foil, with ambient light from windows. Temperatures in the room fluctuate from 70-78F. There is a box fan blowing around some air in there as well, however I don't really think that the fan is something that matters.

I have noticed a lot of condensation on the inside of my jars - I believe my vermiculite was a bit too wet when I mixed my BRF into it and the excess moisture is causing a lot of my jars to form contaminates. (I have 8 left out of 23 jars noc'ed). Something went fairly wrong with this particular set of jars as I have lost many to contaminates. I really feel like the moisture level is what did it, as I do ALL my work in a glovebox. It's homemade....but gets the job done. Noc'ing BRF jars in a glovebox is REALLY overkill...hehe.. but I am cautious by nature.

And yes, gloves, even when I know I don't need them....gloves...

I like to make a habit of using gloves and disinfectant every time I do anything cultivation related. It might not be necessary, but it makes me feel better!

Here is a picture of some of the jars that are almost done. Notice all the excess moisture.... I think this is what got me on this go around.

Let me know what you guys think about the jars!

Thanks!

--------------------

Edited by lotzbetter (06/15/16 03:19 PM)

Invisiblemupetmower
Mower of Muppets
Male User Gallery

Re: Mycelium taking over the dry vermiculite barrier... [Re: lotzbetter]
    #23347807 - 06/15/16 03:37 PM (8 years, 9 days ago)

well, inocing anything, including brf jars, in a glovebox(or even better, SAB) is not overkill by any means. i mean, sure syringes are pretty sirty to begin with, but i would hardly call it overkill to be safe with still air while inocing.

anyways, that cake was for sure not healthy cube myc. it being completely uncolonized on the inside, and it covering the verm that quick and puffing up that much is a clear giveaway that it was a contam. are you saying the top layers of verm was moist? because that will for sure lead to contams. it has for me, also. over-wetness in general is just no good. but live and learn.

from what i can see of those pics of the ok jars, it doesnt appear to be that much excess moisture. it will get a little moisture like that just from the myc growing. and from what i can tell, the myc doesnt appear to have the same consistency of the other jar, and it looks fine.

do you flame your needle in between inocing each jar? flame it with a torch or alcohol lamp, and then squirt a tiny drop out to cool it, then inoc. DO NOT wipe it with ISO or anything after the flaming.  this will help a LOT, but like i said, and I am sure you know, spore syringes are prone to bacteria and contam. they are never 100% clean.

I really hope the rest will work out for you.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals