Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: End ot the wolkd as we know it?'Peak oil' and industrial [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2637987 - 05/04/04 05:46 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

opps.

--------------------
This space for rent

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: End ot the wolkd as we know it?'Peak oil' and industrial [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2638003 - 05/04/04 05:49 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I suspect that one was on purpose!

:lol:

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
Re: End ot the wolkd as we know it?'Peak oil' and industrial [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2638008 - 05/04/04 05:50 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

What kind of circle jerk is this?

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: End ot the wolkd as we know it?'Peak oil' and industrial [Re: d33p]
    #2638018 - 05/04/04 05:51 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Neocon of course.

--------------------
This space for rent

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

#2638026 - 05/04/04 05:52 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Oh yea, thats right talk dirty to me baby.

--------------------

bang bang

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#2638030 - 05/04/04 05:53 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

What kind of circle jerk is what?

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

#2638043 - 05/04/04 05:56 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

circle jerk (s?rkl j?rk)

A competition between men where they sit in a circle. Then they put a cookie in the middle and they start to jerk off. Finally, the last one to come has to eat the cookie.

--------------------

bang bang

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#2638084 - 05/04/04 06:07 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I know what a circle jerk is slo-mo.  :wink:

Notice I didn't ask what a circle jerk was?

--------------------

Edited by luvdemshrooms (05/04/04 06:12 PM)

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

#2638468 - 05/04/04 07:47 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Yea i know i was just kidding. I figured a definition from urban dictionary couldn't hurt. I was just refered to the useless banter that goes back and forth.

--------------------

bang bang

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
    #2638997 - 05/04/04 09:45 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I'm not sure how Laissez-Faire Capitalism deals with intellectual property and patents.

The fact that intellectual property rights and patents are crucial to a system of libertarian laissez-faire capitalism justifying why some who do little work can be so rich, yet in the end, they are subjectively given .

--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

OfflineFrankieJustTrypt
and fell

Loc: MI
Re: End ot the wolkd as we know it?'Peak oil' and industrial [Re: enotake2]
    #2639350 - 05/04/04 11:10 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I took this from the site. Can anyone verify the info is true or false? Does anyone have info on energy consumption, and if a future lack of available oil can be replaced by other means and still remain economically viable?

Quote:

None of the alternatives to oil can even come close to delivering net energy the way oil can. 

With all due respect to any environmentalists reading this, your dreams of a society powered by renewable energy are based more in myth and fantasy than science and reality.  It is physically and economically impossible for renewable energy to replace oil.

Oil has had an Energy Profit Ratio as high as 100 to 1.  This means it takes one unit of energy to produce 100 units. 

None of the alternatives have EPR's that even approach that of oil.  Some of the alternatives, such as Hydrogen and Biodiesal, are energy losers - they require more energy to produce than they carry. 

Furthermore, almost every advocate of alternative energy fails to realize two absolutely key points:

1.  It takes a tremendous amount of oil to build alternatives to oil    such as solar panels, windmills, and nuclear power plants.  The construction of an average solar panel system, for instance, consumes about as much energy as the construction of a brand new SUV.

2.  It would take even more oil to retrofit our multi-billion dollar, fossil fuel based infrastructure to run on these alternative sources of energy.

The harsh truth is there are no true alternatives to oil. The so called alternatives are all derivatives of oil.  The power of the sun, the wind, and the atom cannot be harnessed without tremendous and continuous investments in fossil fuels.

What makes the situation even worse is the fact that we probably won't get motivated to aggressively pursue these (modest) alternatives until the oil shocks start to hit hard.  At that point, however, it will be too late - we will be in the midst of economic anarchy.  Under such conditions, it will be impossible to implement  signficant renewable energy programs.

Without an abundant supply of cheap oil, we will have no way to power a transition to something other than oil.

Come on, 50 or so posts and very little content. You guys are better than this :grin:

--------------------
If you want a free lunch, you need to learn how to eat good advice.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: End ot the wolkd as we know it?'Peak oil' and industrial [Re: FrankieJustTrypt]
    #2639803 - 05/05/04 12:57 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Most of what that guy says is accurate.

Some of what he points out is incomplete, though. For example, while it may be true that to produce an average solar panel system (average for what? To power a single family home, presumably) costs as much as producing an SUV, once built that solar panel system is capable of eventually generating more energy than was required to build it.

He also is fuzzy on the energy requirements vs energy payout of nuclear plants. It is not a given that one must use oil-produced energy in the construction of a nuke plant either. There is no reason the energy budget couldn't be met through hydroelectric power, for example.

He is absolutely correct on the efficiency of oil, however. This is why vehicles all use some kind of oil derivative rather than ethanol or methanol, for example. Gasoline is the most efficient of the derivatives, but they all outclass (pound for pound) biomass or coal or ethanol or whatever. Hydrogen on a pound for pound basis outdoes everything, but as he correctly points out, the energy required with today's technology to produce that hydrogen requires more energy input than the hydrogen produced outputs. This may change some day.

I still feel this has a tenuous connection at best to Politics, Activism, or Law. Convince me otherwise or I'll move the thread to Science and Technology.

pinky

--------------------

OfflineBleaK
paradox
Re: End ot the wolkd as we know it?'Peak oil' and industrial [Re: Phred]
    #2640292 - 05/05/04 03:41 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

why ever did we allow ourselves to become so densly populated.....
it must be some cheap trick like religion.

--------------------
"You cannot trust in law, unless you can trust in people. If you can trust in people, you don't need law." -J. Mumma

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom