Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJamic
Stranger
 User Gallery
Help with i.d.
    #2329668 - 02/13/04 06:58 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help with an i.d. here.

I like to go shroom picking. And have seen quite alot lately even though it is the tail of summer here in new zealand. Anyway, I found these on the front lawn at my neighbours house. On A slight slope growing under A flax bush. There was some slight blue at the base of the stem over time, as if it had been coloured with A light blue felt tip, it was very beautiful. Sadly when I got back home from being out later and set up my camera the blue seemed to have completely dissappeared. Sorry about the pictures as they are captured through A video capture card with an old video camera. These mushrooms are quite tough and as you can hopefully see by the pictures are quite leathery both in texture and appearance on the cap. The stems have striping black vertical lines, almost looks like dirt. When I cut the cap off one, and A bit of the stem it seemed to go A slightly purple colour (very vague inside the stem. The Underside of the cap is kind of like A spone. And was pretty much yellow\white, ageing to yellow, brown. Hope this is enough info. Cheers for any help. Have some completely different mushroom pics to put up too.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAstrok
Trying To BeCool

Loc: Bozeman, Montana
Re: Help with i.d. [Re: Jamic]
    #2329767 - 02/13/04 07:50 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I dont really know exactly what that is, but you did take a spore print right? All I can say is that the bottom, where the gills are, looks kinda wierd. I wouldnt eat that any time soon if it was me.

--------------------
"Light that shit"
"Smoke that shit"
"Pass that shit"

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #2330569 - 02/13/04 11:37 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Your mushroom is a bolete from the genus Leccinum. I don't have a really good key for the genus, but we can try anyway.

Bruising reactions are very important for identifying Leccinums. Cut your mushroom in half vertically, take one half and scrape it firmly enough to bruise the flesh on the inside, then watch for color changes. Some changes will occur rapidly, within a couple minutes, and others will take up to an hour - for example, the fading of the blue you saw when you picked it. We need to know about all of them. Please note also where the colors occur.

The other thing we need to know about is the kinds of trees nearby. You mentioned a flax bush, but were there any trees? "Nearby" means close enough that the tree could fall on you if it were cut down, so being near a big tree allows for a lot more room than a little one.

Many Leccinums are edible, a few are mildly poisonous, none are active. The poisonous ones cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. The edible ones are OK for eating, although they have a tendency to turn black when cooked, which isn't really appetizing looking. If you intend to try eating it, save half in your refrigerator and limit yourself to a piece the size of a fingernail. Make sure you cook it thoroughly. Then wait overnight before eating any more. If you don't get at all sick, then it's OK to eat, and you can finish the rest of it.

You will probably also want to watch for maggots inside it. Leccinums are often filled with the damn things. If you cut it in half and the inside has little tunnels in it then the maggots got there first.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineJamic
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Help with i.d. [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2331752 - 02/13/04 05:05 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for all the info, And apologies for any lack of info. This mushroom was within 1 metre of A tree, but im not sure what kind. I did try to take A shroom print but being my first and the type of mushroom it didnt seem to work to well. Just left A light brown tinge, with many darker brown dots. I will have some new photos up soon as there is A huge, diverse range of mushrooms grow around here at times.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #2331771 - 02/13/04 05:11 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Tree identification doesn't need to be too specific. We usually don't need to know if it's a White Oak, just knowing that it's an Oak is usually good enough, and even knowing if it's an evergreen or deciduous tree is helpful.

For some boletes the spore print is important. For this one it won't be.

Incidentally, the identification to Leccinum is easy because of the surface of the stem. In your second and third photos you clearly show what are called scabers. They are the dark, coarse, hair-like things on the stem. Their presence automatically tells us that your mushroom is a Leccinum.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineJamic
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Help with i.d. [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2331860 - 02/13/04 05:48 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Just have to say how awesome it is to have such knowledgable and helpfull people on this board. Thanks very much. I cut the cap in half and it has A slightly pink tinge to the flesh. Also cut the stems vertically as you said, into 4. And that beautiful blue green is back again. And I just cant believe how cool that colour is. Pity it isnt active but im sure there are many active mushrooms around here.

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
    #2332211 - 02/13/04 08:01 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

There are many many Leccinum species and subspecies that are restricted to certain regions, altitudes, and trees. Suprisingly, mushrooms in the Leccinum genus grow under almost every possible forest tree: oak, pine, spruce, birch, and about 3 others whose name I don't know in English. I hunt Leccinum griseum, L. scabrum, orange and red L., and one or two other species of Leccinum in Poland during the summer. They are very cool to find in the forest, especially when young and not yet maggot or insect infested. Insects tend to get into the tubes when the mushroom gets large and spongy. If you tap on the top of the cap, a bunch of tiny, smaller than flea-size bugs would fall out. Leccinum scabrum is commonly called "Babka" Leccinum in Poland. This is because, in Poland a pie is made that is made in a deep dish that is about a foot high and a foot wide and tapered toward the bottom. The pie is porous and spongy, like a mature Leccinum scabrum or other.

Try and find a Leccinum key online or in a mushroom book. What kind of trees grow in your neighbor's front yard? Start from there. Try and compare your L. to L. scabrum or something and find any noticable differences, then look through some resources, keys, etc, especially if you find New Zealand Leccinum. Finding the correct species of Leccinum is really quite tedious without a microscope, even if you have enough resources, and especially if you are not acquainted with the local possible species or if a respectable field guide is not acquainted with them.

Many specimens of Leccinum bruise black/dark bluish purple when cut in the stem. In the cap sometimes the stem turn gray and slowly black especially in cooking. All Leccinum are edible, and fairly good. They may not be considered choice and are a bit tough, especially the stem, but they are good. Make sure you loosen them and sautee them a while.

good luck with that man.

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan Flag
Re: Help with i.d. [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #2334740 - 02/14/04 02:51 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

was the tree a birch or poplar? thats what i wanna know

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
Re: Help with i.d. [Re: Mitchnast]
    #2335064 - 02/14/04 04:56 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I looked up poplar in a english-polish dictionary and now I know what it is. Poplar and birch are the most common Leccinum trees in Poland, especially birch. Under poplar grows L. rufum=L. aurantiacum (red) and L. duriusculum, under birch grows L. scabrum and L. versipelle (orange-yellow), and under Carpinus betulus (called hornbeam or hardbeam according to my dictionary. Its European Hornbeam on the USDA website: http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/trees/CARBETA.pdf ) grows L. griseum.

So what kind of tree(s) did it grow under? Are there any new specimens popping up?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies