Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepsilocryptic
closet grower
Loc: Neptune
casing questions
    #2331361 - 02/13/04 02:33 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I have a few questions concerning casing:

1. I've been reading through the casing teks and I understand that the upper layer of casing must be sterilized, but what about the bottom layer of vermiculite?

2. The recipes say to use distilled water, is bottled water ok?

3. I can only find gardening lime, is that fine to substitute in for hydrated lime? It says it is similar but safer on the package, so I assume thats fine.

4. Do I still put down a layer of wet perlite on the bottom of the terrarium?

5. I purchased the spawn bags with a filter patch, that will be fine in the pressure cooker right? Also, concerning the pressure cooker, should i use steam or pressure? I've been using steam with the jars.

6. For drying, I'm planning on getting vacuum preserver and drierite dessicant. Should I just throw everything in there with the dessicant or should I separate them somehow? Or should I use the dessicant separately from the vacuum?

Alright I think thats it, thanks in advance for any help.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: casing questions [Re: psilocryptic]
    #2331547 - 02/13/04 03:46 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

1 the bottom layer of verm should be pasteurized as long with the top casing if sterilizing is what your doing do it that way with the verm layer

2 distilled is alot better and way cheaper than bottled water (it cost anywhere from 48 cents to a dollar for a gallon) but bottled water will work

3 what are you using for a casing layer? I recomend 60/40 verm coco coir. This will not need any lime its fine just the way it is after pasteurization or sterilization

4 if your casing takes up most of the space it will be fine but if thier is alot of room than you need to use somthing for humidity. perlite will work or misting

5 yes those bags are what you want and WBS should be sterilized for an hour and half at 15 psi. What do you plan to use in the bags?

6 you want all the water out of them before you store them. Do not vacuum store them if thier is even the slightest bit of water

Offlinepsilocryptic
closet grower
Re: casing questions [Re: fee]
    #2331635 - 02/13/04 04:24 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

2. Where can i find distilled water?

3. I was planning on trying a few different casings: the 50/50 with crushed oyster shell, the 60/40, and Jiffy Mix. I haven't been able to find coco coir though.

4. Should I do perlite and misting or just one or the other?

5. I was planning on sterilizing the casings in them.

6. Oh I was under the impression that the vacuum pump was good for drying.

Offlinepsilocryptic
closet grower
Re: casing questions [Re: fee]
    #2331652 - 02/13/04 04:30 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Also, how do you pasteurize?

Anonymous

#2331724 - 02/13/04 04:54 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

2 walmart, rite aid, any grocerie store will have it ANY

3 coco coir you can find at most gardining or at a pet store and thier it will be called like bed a beast just ask for coco coir and when they look at you funny say the stuff you put at the bottom of a reptiles cage that comes in a brick

4 one or the other. when you see condinsation on the walls its good RH

5 sterilizing is fine but better luck with verm and coco coir espeically when its your first time

6 I own one and they are good for sucking the field capacity out of stuff not drying them. They will rot and tons of other bad shit dry them first completely then store them vacuum sealled

you pasturize by putting what you want to pasturize in a pillow case then get a big enough pot water and get the pot of water to 170 degrees and place the pillow case in that for 45 minutes in casings.
Dont let it get over 180 it can go lower like even 150 is good for a little while but 170 is best

its all in the faq's you should read up

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: psilocryptic]
    #2331983 - 02/13/04 06:43 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

Offlinepsilocryptic
closet grower
Re: casing questions [Re: OldSpice]
    #2332451 - 02/13/04 09:11 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah I realize some of these questions must be pretty basic but I just feel like I've done a lot of reading and the questions I'm asking are based on holes I've found in the reading. I'm sure the specific answers are there on the site I just haven't seen them. Believe me, I have spent some serious time reading teks and faqs. I don't want to sound like a bitch, I just feel like I read something and theres a lot of stuff that is not explicitly stated.

Offlinepsilocryptic
closet grower
    #2332477 - 02/13/04 09:17 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

To follow up on that, a lot of teks just assume you can find all these ingredients at health food stores, gardening centers, grocery stores, home depot, etc. and I just haven't found that to be true, maybe its just the area I live but I live in an area that has plenty of Walmarts, Home Depots, gardening centers, etc. I have also seen a lot of stuff talking about pasteurizing and I've never been able to find a method of pasteurizing before I made this post.

InvisibleSemilanceata
No god, no boss

Loc: República Federal Íbera
    #2332901 - 02/13/04 10:51 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
Sr_Setahongo

Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

#2333059 - 02/13/04 11:33 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Yeah I realize some of these questions must be pretty basic but I just feel like I've done a lot of reading and the questions I'm asking are based on holes I've found in the reading. I'm sure the specific answers are there on the site I just haven't seen them.

It's cool man, but try using the search feature. You can find good answers to LOTS of questions like these.

:blueshoom:
SM

--------------------

Anonymous

Post deleted by Administrator [Re: psilocryptic]
    #2450183 - 03/19/04 12:29 AM (20 years, 15 days ago)

Invisibleshriek

Re: casing questions [Re: ]
    #2450202 - 03/19/04 12:32 AM (20 years, 15 days ago)

someone ban this idiot ^^^^^ 

greenem ; u are the suck. stop your spam here at the shroomery 

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :mad: :mad: :mad: :nonono: :nonono: :nonono: :nonono:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate