Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Newbie about to dive in head first - amount of spore syring CCs into 4 lb grow bag? [Re: ChrisHippyLoser]
    #3546472 - 12/27/04 12:34 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

It doesnt matter how much grain is in the bag you can still use 1cc of spores...1cc of spores will germinate just as quickly as 4 cc's, though not in as many spots..of course once it does and the mycelium is spreading you can shake/mash (carfully) the bag to spread it around..the difference between 1cc and 3, 4, 6, 10, 20cc's whatever would only be about 2-3 days...well the 20cc's would probably throw off water content and be the slowest....anyways...

You can use 4 if you want..1 will work though. You could use up to 10 but over that and I'd be afraid of throwing off the water content to much. If it were me...I'd use 2cc of liquid myc.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineThea
Stranger
Re: Newbie about to dive in head first - amount of spore syring CCs into 4 lb grow bag? [Re: ChrisHippyLoser]
    #22633480 - 12/09/15 09:51 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

I'm pretty new at this to, but I think everyone is getting sidetracked on how big the bags are. I think it's gonna be a grand learning experience for you. Success is reaching a goal. Your goal is to learn. You can only fail if you stop trying!

OfflineOldSawbonesHisself
Chemist Extraordinaire
Male User Gallery

Loc: PDR Laos
Re: Newbie about to dive in head first - amount of spore syring CCs into 4 lb grow bag? [Re: Thea]
    #23300676 - 06/02/16 05:09 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

half pint is 8 fluid ounces.

4 lbs is 64 ounces
8 goes into 64 8 times.

4 lbs is 8 half pints from my calculations

correct me if im wrong

I know that this is a super old thread to bump, but I just cannot sit by and look at the ridiculous arguments in this thread, and go on leaving it as it is without any definitive statement one way or the other regarding units of volume vs units of mass.

3 x 4lb bags filled with 3 different substrates has got nothing to do with how many 1/2 pint or quart jars could be filled with any of the substrates.

1/2 pint and quart jars are measures of volume in liquid ounces.

Each of the 3 subs will have a different density (mass to volume ratio).  Therefore each of the subs will fill a different number of jars (of any size) when divided.

Since the subs are made up of fibers and other things which are not liquid, not to mention things like air gaps between grains of different sizes, etc., they cannot be volumetrically measured with any accuracy without first knowing the specific density of each substrate.

To find this out you would need to first fill a known volume (let's say a pint aka 16 fluid ounces) and then weigh it to find the mass (remembering to subtract the mass of the container itself), then divide by the total number of units of measure in volume to get the density in (example) grams per fluid ounce.

So, for water, 16 fl oz will completely fill a pint.  The mass (not counting the pint container) will be roughly 473.2 grams.  We divide 473.2 by 16 to get the density, which is about 29.6g/fl oz. 

From this density we can find the weight (mass) of any known volume of area simply by multiplying the volume in fl oz by 29.6 to find the mass in grams.

Alternately we can find the volume of a known weight by dividing that weight by 29.6 to find the volume in fl oz.

It should be obvious that since substrates are not pure liquids, and will have some air between the particles if nothing else, then most likely a pint of substrate is not equal to 473.2g.  Probably it will weigh substantially less than this due to a variety of factors.

So, to try and figure out a number of smaller volumes which is equivalent to any of the the substrates based solely upon its weight is impossible.  It's even more impossible to assume that the densities of three completely different kinds and shapes of substrates will fill an equal volume of smaller volumes equally.

Again sorry for the bump, but I hope that everyone reads and understands this. 

This is very basic science. 

Fluid ounces are a measure of volume only.  For water it is also a measure of mass (weight).  Unless whatever is being measured has the exact same density as water then 1fl oz (volume) does not equal 1oz (mass, as in 1/16th pound).

The same applies to liters or ml.  It is a unit of volume.  For water 1 ml = 1 gram.  For anything which is not water 1ml does not = 1 gram (unless the item being measured has the exact same density as water).

Of course atmospheric pressure can have a large impact on some materials, but that is a whole different argument and I think it's pretty safe to say that people are generally on the earth in about 1 standard unit of atmospheric pressure when measuring substrates.

Not two miles under the sea, and not on the space station.  You are reading this on the earth, damnit!  LOL!

:ohyeah:

--------------------
:goat: :pills: :pill: :discorex: :meff:

*New*  Trade/wish list

Edited by OldSawbonesHisself (06/02/16 05:14 PM)

Invisibledankington
The Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 8te
Re: Newbie about to dive in head first - amount of spore syring CCs into 4 lb grow bag? [Re: OldSawbonesHisself]
    #23300697 - 06/02/16 05:14 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Dude, this thread is old AF... about 12 years. OP hasn't been seen in nearly 11...

Chemist Extraordinaire
Male User Gallery

Re: Newbie about to dive in head first - amount of spore syring CCs into 4 lb grow bag? [Re: dankington]
    #23300714 - 06/02/16 05:19 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Yes, but someone else already bumped it in December.

I found it in a search and I just wanted to be sure that anyone else who might find it in the search would understand the difference between mass and volume.  Even if they're super high I think now they might get the difference.

Before it was never concluded and left open to interpretation.

Now it should be pretty clear to anyone with doubts what the difference is.

--------------------

*New*  Trade/wish list

Chemist Extraordinaire
Male User Gallery

Re: Newbie about to dive in head first - amount of spore syring CCs into 4 lb grow bag? [Re: OldSawbonesHisself]
    #23300788 - 06/02/16 05:47 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Also, just in case someone brings this up, 1 ml of water = 1 cc of water = 1 gram of water

This does not mean 1 cc from a spore syringe equals 1 gram of spores!

There could be 1 spore in 1 cc of water or many thousands of spores in 1 cc of water.  Spores are microscopic (not visible to the naked eye).

Yes, I realize that most of you are saying "duh, that's common logic!"  Well if this thread proves anything it's that some people are too common for common logic.  LOL.

Ok, that's a bit harsh.  I just don't want some jackass pointing back at this thread and going, "See I really did put in a gram of spores!  'says so right here:"  (link to my post above).

:grin:

--------------------

*New*  Trade/wish list

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder