Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleGlameow
 User Gallery

Loc: Ireland Flag
Flavoured amphetamines for 6 year old and up
    #23281342 - 05/28/16 01:55 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

https://www.statnews.com/2016/05/23/adhd-drug-concerns/

Anyone else think this is crazy?
A six year old does not need adhd medication. Even if they're hyper and unfocused. ..they're 6 years old.  It's not like they need to be focused or they'll fail at life.

I was a hyperactive child (we didn't have adhd/add at the time). Sure I slept less and was a bit of a handful for my mother. .who had to be on the ball with activities and changing tasks to keep my focus. ..but isn't that what parents are meant to do?

And with all the long term risks from medications like these. .
And we're supposed to be afraid of drug cartels?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleimpatientguy
Ganjalf a very mighty lab wizard
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Flavoured amphetamines for 6 year old and up [Re: Glameow]
    #23281398 - 05/28/16 02:10 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Pretty dumb to flavor any type of medicine IMO

Its medicine not candy

And I'd guess 80 percent of the kids who get prescribed this type of stuff don't really need it.

--------------------
Super clean spore printing method: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5276177

Edited by impatientguy (05/28/16 02:12 PM)

InvisiblePanzerCubed
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Nauru Flag
Re: Flavoured amphetamines for 6 year old and up [Re: impatientguy] * 1
    #23281431 - 05/28/16 02:20 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

By Meghana Keshavan @megkesh

May 23, 2016

There’s a new, candy-flavored amphetamine on the market.

Adzenys, as the chewable, fruity medication is called, packs the punch of Adderall and is geared toward children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.

The drug hit the market last week and is already stirring controversy: Some psychiatrists worry that Adzenys will accelerate a trend toward overmedicating kids — and could be yet another gateway into ADHD drug abuse.

Presenting amphetamines in a tasty, convenient package is “a recipe for people to request it and then sell it,” said Dr. Mukund Gnanadesikan, a child and adolescent psychiatrist in Napa, Calif.

“I’m not a big fan of controlled substances that come in forms that can be easily abused — and certainly a chewable drug falls into that category,” Gnanadesikan said.
Read More
Do antidepressants during pregnancy increase baby’s autism risk?

Adzenys, an extended-release amphetamine, was approved by the Food and Drug Administration in January for patients 6 years and older. It comes in six dose strengths. The Dallas company behind the drug, Neos Therapeutics, began ramping up commercial efforts this week in order to get “ahead of back-to-school season,” CEO Vipin Garg said. “We’re launching now at full speed.”

The company has 125 sales reps across the United States, and they’re having “no problem” getting appointments with doctors interested in prescribing this new formulation, Garg said. The product is winning support from doctors who see it as a convenient way to give children the drugs they need. And analysts are generally bullish about Neos’s prospects.
A booming market for ADHD drugs

There’s a very real population of children and adults whose lives are vastly improved by medications like Adderall and Ritalin, which stimulate the central nervous system and affect chemicals in the brain associated with impulse control. But the line between need and want is increasingly blurry.

About 75 percent of children diagnosed with ADHD are on medication — a statistic that concerns many psychiatrists. (The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advises parents to try behavior therapy before pharmaceutical intervention.)

In teens and adults, there’s also rampant misuse: These stimulants are commonly used as party drugs and as performance enhancement aids; some students say the meds help them focus and improve their grades.

All that adds up to a booming market. Sales for ADHD medications were at $4.7 billion in 2006, had nearly tripled to $12.7 billion by last year, and are projected to grow to $17.5 billion by 2020, according to a 2015 report from market research firm IBISWorld.
Read More
FDA moves to ban use of electric shock devices to treat children

Adzenys is the first extended-release drug for ADHD that dissolves in the mouth (though a rival drug, Shire’s Vyvanse, comes in capsules that can be opened so the medication can be sprinkled over food). It’s also the first to come in a blister pack, not a pill bottle — making it exceptionally portable and convenient.

Garg says the new, quick-dissolving formulation will help harried mothers get their kids medicated faster before school. It could also be useful for the adult ADHD population, he said: If they forget to take their pill with breakfast, they could just pop a tablet on the way to work. He sees the dissolving tabs as part of a broader trend to making medications and supplements of all types more pleasant to take.

“You go to a pharmacy, and everything is in gummy bear format,” Garg said. “Why would that be the case if there wasn’t a need for this?”
A convenience for harried moms — or for dealers?

NEOS

Adzenys XR-ODT extended-release tablets

Some psychiatrists see no reason to worry about Adzenys. Those who abuse the drug won’t care if it comes in the form of a nice-tasting chewable or a traditional pill: They’re only focused on the effects of the drug, said Dr. Ben Biermann, an assistant professor of psychiatry at University of Michigan’s C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital.

“There’s nothing revolutionary about this drug,” Biermann said. “It’s simply another delivery mechanism for a medication that already exists and has widespread use.”

And for kids who balk at swallowing pills, Adzenys could be a boon, said Dr. Greg Mattingly, a child psychiatrist who teaches pharmacology at the Washington University School of Medicine.

(Mattingly, who is a board member of the American Professional Society of ADHD and Related Disorders, said he has no financial stake in Neos, but did present research on the drug at this week’s American Psychiatric Association meeting in Atlanta.)

Email address

Just this week, Mattingly prescribed Adzenys for the first time — to a 9-year-old boy who had been taking ADHD meds for some time. The child hated the liquid formulation and had trouble swallowing pills, so the family felt the chewable tabs offered new hope, he said.

Still, for those who believe ADHD is wildly overdiagnosed and overmedicated, the idea of making a drug more tasty and convenient is jarring.

It’s a move that sanctions “an orally disintegrating amphetamine for kids by the morally disintegrating FDA,” said Dr. Alexander Papp, an adult psychiatrist affiliated with University of California, San Diego.

“What’s next?” Papp scoffed. “Gummy bears?”

Meghana Keshavan can be reached at Meghana.Keshavan@statnews.com
Follow Meghana on Twitter @megkesh

--------------------
Trade List - updated 16/10/15/

InvisibleGlameow
 User Gallery

Re: Flavoured amphetamines for 6 year old and up [Re: PanzerCubed]
    #23281456 - 05/28/16 02:27 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for posting. .I'm on a phone, and if I switch tab it refreshes. It's very awkward for copying/pasting and posting.

InvisiblePatrickKn
I'm a teapot

#23281586 - 05/28/16 03:04 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Reminds me of the old stories about strawberry flavored meth being sold to kids on the playground. :lol:

But yeah, I think amphetamines shouldn't really be prescribed until people are adults personally. I'm sure many will disagree with that because they had ADD as kids or something, but really it could have waited.

InvisiblePanzerCubed
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Nauru Flag
Re: Flavoured amphetamines for 6 year old and up [Re: PatrickKn]
    #23281673 - 05/28/16 03:25 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Agreed, i mean there can be extreme cases where medication may be needed for young children but most people can hold out till high school / university when they can decide if its needed.

--------------------
Trade List - updated 16/10/15/

Offline5150
phantom
 User Gallery
Re: Flavoured amphetamines for 6 year old and up [Re: PanzerCubed]
    #23281759 - 05/28/16 03:51 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Majority of ppl r sellouts and immoral,hey I can make $ selling legal speed to kids ,this is great,oh hello dear had a great day at work,what's on the boob tube

--------------------
"the way of the warrior is the resolute acceptance of death"

Miyamoto Musashi

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Flavoured amphetamines for 6 year old and up [Re: 5150] * 1
    #23282151 - 05/28/16 06:13 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Can't believe this is a thing after all the uproar about cannabis candies putting kids at risk. Fucking hypocrites... That's crazy they start me off at 6 now, even 12 seems pretty crazy in most cases.

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: Flavoured amphetamines for 6 year old and up [Re: musiclover420]
    #23282235 - 05/28/16 06:46 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

ADD meds cause ADD
they are given to kids at certain times of day because they're supposed to feel a reward when their parents tell them to
it turns the kids into fucking socialite criminals

Invisiblenice1returns
I am the Holy Shit
 User Gallery

Loc: miwuaki Flag
Re: Flavoured amphetamines for 6 year old and up [Re: PatrickKn]
    #23283380 - 05/29/16 01:36 AM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

PatrickKn said:
Reminds me of the old stories about strawberry flavored meth being sold to kids on the playground. :lol:

Lol yeah well its not any different TBH the only differenc is the dealer and the target market being even younger!

Theres no way in any reasonable world that kids should be given flavoured amphetamines for any reason.  I can think of no circumstances such a thing becomes acceptable.  :thumbdown:

Especially not for being hyperactive or attention span since thats really a subjective opinion and a state that fluctuates.  i don't know any kids who don't have attention span troubles or act hypo at least a few times a day.  :shrug:  By these standards they can prescribe to any and all kids just to subdue their own natural behaviour with drugs.  Probably to appease shitty parents/teachers.

InvisibleGlameow
 User Gallery

Re: Flavoured amphetamines for 6 year old and up [Re: nice1returns]
    #23283475 - 05/29/16 02:06 AM (7 years, 9 months ago)

That's exactly what they're doing. Kids can't conform in class and classes are often overcrowded because god forbid we have more teachers ensuring a child's education.  It's not like they're the future tax payers or anything. ..
France started treating add/adhd kids with therapy not medication and that's definitely the way forward in my opinion.  And force a teacher to be a bit more interactive with kids education (course, that's another issue down to exams and bad system ).

I knew someone who gave her kid medication because he was trouble at school.  He was  a school bully and constantly disrupting the class. Supposedly medication helped. ..but I blame parenting.

OfflineChk
Reverser
Male User Gallery

Loc: France
    #23283643 - 05/29/16 03:39 AM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Stop giving shitload of sugar to your kids, 
problem 80% solved....

--------------------

OfflineAwesomeUsername
Male

#23283656 - 05/29/16 03:50 AM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Amphetamines for 6 year olds?

I remember my parents freaked out when I was 13 and made myself a cup of coffee because I was too young for even trying it out.

And that was not even that too long ago (about 7 years), so it's not a matter of people being in a different mentality back than.

If you need to use amphetamines at any age, don't you have enough work already?

--------------------

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Flavoured amphetamines for 6 year old and up [Re: AwesomeUsername]
    #23283951 - 05/29/16 07:06 AM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Just plain adderall tastes really sweet. there are instructions in the Adderall XR pamphlet on how to give it to your child if they cannot take a capsule yet: put the amphetamine beads in some baby food. Im not kidding. The thought of the FDA telling you how to dose your toddler/child with speed, something very weird about that.

Does dextroamphetamine help ADHD? It sure does yes but as someone who suffers from some fucked up ADHD myself, even for me (a full grown male), 10-15mg is alot stronger than say, smoking some weed.

Its crazy how crystal's meth's demethylated brother is a favorite for kids, and it does have medicinal value but and is close to mdma in terms of its effect on the body and side effects. Whereas weed is a much scarier drug for the general public? Is this just cause thc has some psychedelic properties or because weed was made illegal long ago and regular amphetamine never caught too much flak as a medicine? (Which really surprises me, ive even known some people who couldnt control their adderall use and def caused them some serious problems),

But yeah this is nothing new at all.

Quote:

PanzerCubed said:
Agreed, i mean there can be extreme cases where medication may be needed for young children but most people can hold out till high school / university when they can decide if its needed.

Totally agreed

--------------------
Dreaming of That face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes.

Prying open MY third eye

Offlinesprinkles
otd president
Other User Gallery

Loc: washington state Flag
Re: Flavoured amphetamines for 6 year old and up [Re: Glameow] * 1
    #23283954 - 05/29/16 07:09 AM (7 years, 9 months ago)

people cant deal with kids energy levels so they dope them up with medication.  it is fucking horrid.  Dont expect kids to sit for 8 hours straight at school and not have issues.  Most of their free time is spent in front of screens also.  People shouldnt have kids if they cant deal with their high energy.  Fuck people to death.

america is fucking retarded.. cant sleep take this, cant get it up take this, depressed take this.  dont try to fix the problem or anything.  just treat the symptoms.  "well I can get an erection but now I cant see"  :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, and dont use drugs.

--------------------
welcome to my world http://www.shroomery.org/forums/postlist.php/Board/326

Invisibledurian_2008
Cornucopian Eating an Elephant
 User Gallery

Loc: Raccoon City
Re: Flavoured amphetamines for 6 year old and up [Re: sprinkles]
    #23284359 - 05/29/16 10:11 AM (7 years, 9 months ago)

I have instructed "bad", at-risk kids, in a charter school.

I have watched kids, who were exposed to meth in the womb, as too many of my friends and family were once users.

I was consulted for emergency advice, when one had literally taken these pills like candy.

And, I have seen advance placement kids, use it to test.

As someone with the balls to be a serious disciplinarian, I find that it's unnecessary, short of property damage or a veterinary bill. Most problems are with adult supervision, not acting in a civil and humane way, and I believe these will be over-prescribed.

They're like housepets that follow you around. Had you the energy to keep moving at all times, there would be no interest in the tv. They have better memories than most adults, and, in a fiscally-conservative society, could certainly learn a trade, by puberty.

Most of us are quota-cases, in sinecure positions, one of which is pill-pusher.

Offlinesearching
Male User Gallery

Re: Flavoured amphetamines for 6 year old and up [Re: musiclover420]
    #23284568 - 05/29/16 11:32 AM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

musiclover420 said:
Can't believe this is a thing after all the uproar about cannabis candies putting kids at risk. Fucking hypocrites... That's crazy they start me off at 6 now, even 12 seems pretty crazy in most cases.

This is a good point.

On a side note, I could go for some flavored amphetamines.

--------------------

Invisibleimpatientguy
Ganjalf a very mighty lab wizard
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Flavoured amphetamines for 6 year old and up [Re: searching]
    #23284574 - 05/29/16 11:34 AM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah I'd probably buy some considering they would probably be extra extra cheap from a dealer since you can't snort them lol
Worried about dealers sellin it? Lmao

--------------------
Super clean spore printing method: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5276177

Offlinesprinkles
otd president
Other User Gallery

Loc: washington state Flag
Re: Flavoured amphetamines for 6 year old and up [Re: durian_2008]
    #23284591 - 05/29/16 11:39 AM (7 years, 9 months ago)

i would like to think that i'd be a good parent.  I'm all about the disciplines.

My dog is trained and very well behaved.  plus too has good manners.  I dont have to repeat myself when I give a command or snap a finger.  He is also bigger than I am. He would be very dangerous it was up to him to make decisions.

--------------------
welcome to my world http://www.shroomery.org/forums/postlist.php/Board/326

Invisibledurian_2008
Cornucopian Eating an Elephant
 User Gallery

Loc: Raccoon City
Re: Flavoured amphetamines for 6 year old and up [Re: sprinkles]
    #23284638 - 05/29/16 11:57 AM (7 years, 9 months ago)

My neighbor is a strict, fatalistic, Nazi bastard, but couldn't keep a tomato plant alive.

All you have to do is engage plants, animals, and children. It's not a pill, spray, or shock collar.

I watch the "Sorcerer's Apprentice", and see all the brooms going crazy. What if he just gave them a job to do.

That's the literal purpose of giving stimulants to a disorganized person.

I had one splitting wood, with a wedge, under close supervision, and taught them college-prep math, in measured doses. It's just conversation.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order