Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblejavacap
hazelnut

cow patties?
    #2327606 - 02/12/04 03:51 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

can I go out in the pastures and pick up cow patties to use with the bulk neglect tek?

--------------------
Magic Theater Not For Everyone
-Steppenwolf

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleZapotecorum
AlcoHoliC

Loc: my conversion van
Re: cow patties? [Re: javacap]
    #2327689 - 02/12/04 04:14 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

if you do, try to find the ones that have been there a while, the older the better, to a point. dry it in the oven or out side. probably better than store bought stuff cause its the real shit.

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #2327744 - 02/12/04 04:35 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Look for aged whitish coloured cow manure.

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

Invisiblejavacap
hazelnut

Re: cow patties? [Re: Zapotecorum]
    #2327749 - 02/12/04 04:36 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

so you're saying it will work, right? thanks, Zapotecorum. any other opinions?

how much of this dried poo do I need?

Invisiblejavacap
hazelnut

#2327766 - 02/12/04 04:42 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

what kind of straw do I need?

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2327792 - 02/12/04 04:51 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

>>>how much of this dried poo do I need?

How big is the tub or tubs you want to use. Think of the scale you're doing.

Straw, go wheat or barley. This is barley straw. You don't want any seed heads in it, that's hay. Avoid it.

48hrs after spawning with millet.

--------------------

OfflineKreeprCeepr
Dont mistakelack of talentfor genius!

Loc: Oregon
Re: cow patties? [Re: Starter]
    #2327820 - 02/12/04 05:02 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

What ratio do you guys mix your poo and straw to? Thanks for the help!

--------------------
"My lands are where my dead lie buried" Crazy Horse R.I.P

Native Pride

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: cow patties? [Re: KreeprCeepr]
    #2327841 - 02/12/04 05:10 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Dunno, haven't mixed the two together. Nor would it matter, either alone will work.

However, some people say cow manure compacts so they add straw to open the profile. I've read all sorts of ratios, 30/70, 50/50 ect ect.

I guess that depends on the source vis the diet of the cattle. Cattle my way eat native grasses so the manure is open in structure. It comes in apperance as dried shredded compressed grass. Just break it up after a 24hrs soak and it's very friable and doesn't compact in the flower pots I have.

--------------------

InvisibleZapotecorum
AlcoHoliC

#2327845 - 02/12/04 05:11 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

a half pint jar is good for about two cups of poo. it will work on alot more its just the time gets lenghthy. one patty is probably like 10 cups but don't quote me. adding staw is good to. staw is good food for mushies but it also lightens up the poo. if you use just straight poo its harderer for the mycilium to penitrate. with the straw added the mycilium can travel along ang thru the straw speeding propagation. if you cand get straw, which if you can get fresh shit straws probably the easy part, you can use vermiculite or cocanut coir to lighten up the poo. a friend has two trays of panaoulus going right now on a 50/50 mix of store bought poo and straw and a little verm for fun. it was about 4 cups total when wet and then mixed in pf style half pint. so i figure two cups straight poo would colonize fast and produce well.

Invisiblejavacap
hazelnut

Re: cow patties? [Re: KreeprCeepr]
    #2327848 - 02/12/04 05:12 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Starter, thanks for the tip. I don't know where to get wheat or barley straw. Can I buy it?

I've been reading the bulk neglect log, but I'm having trouble understanding the spawn and colonization parts. Can I use innoculated jars of popcorn? if so, after they are colonized, how do I transfer it to the substrate? hopefully I'm making sense.

thanks again.

Invisiblejavacap
hazelnut

#2327869 - 02/12/04 05:20 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

could you walk me through it?

I want to make it in a large box like the neglect log, like 2 cubic feet of substrate.

my confusion is with the spawning process. I need help with this.

does this site have private messaging?

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2327871 - 02/12/04 05:20 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

>>>>I don't know where to get wheat or barley straw. Can I buy it?

Landscape supply yards, cheapest place to get 'em.

Go for the new bales, golden, dry, clear of mould. Keep the bale dry, like in the garage up on a shelf. See pic I posted.

Spawn, just spoon out to a bowl, crush up the lumps with the back on the spoon and lay in the bulk as a layer, then sprinkle some spawn on top, give a mix with your clean fingers, repeat again and again until all bulk and spawn is used...just save some extra spawn back to dress up the surface. That "seals" it. Then firm it gently down with the base of a large jar.

Read the FAQ's on bulk.
http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/3282

--------------------

InvisibleZapotecorum
AlcoHoliC

#2327881 - 02/12/04 05:25 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

popcorn works, you can grind it into a semi powder or cruch it good with a hammer. work up accordind to the pf tek. when the jars are completely colonized break them up into small peices and and mix real good with your bulk substrate.

i know you can buy pelitized straw mail order like.

Invisiblejavacap
hazelnut

#2327904 - 02/12/04 05:39 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

>>>>>Spawn, just spoon out to a bowl, crush up the lumps with the back on the spoon and lay in the bulk as a layer, then sprinkle some spawn on top, give a mix with your clean fingers, repeat again and again until all bulk and spawn is used...just save some extra spawn back to dress up the surface. That "seals" it. Then firm it gently down with the base of a large jar.

Do you mean to spoon out from an innoculated jar, onto the bulk substrate? I was thinking of innoculating popcorn jars. Can I colonize them, then spread it all out onto the dung substrate? What happens after that?

Invisiblejavacap
hazelnut

#2327919 - 02/12/04 05:42 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Also, if I understand correctly, I can use vemiculite instead of straw in the substrate mixture. Have you grown this way, without using straw?

InvisibleZapotecorum
AlcoHoliC

#2327947 - 02/12/04 05:55 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

>>>>>What happens after that?

cover your container with the lid or foil or cling wrap. wait untill the substrate is colonized, case with a casing mixture, expose to light and high humidity.

you dont have to have straw and manure. manure works great by itself, just lighten it with verm. i have only grown pans. with manure only. i dont bother using bulk substrates for cubs. never neded that many mushrooms.

Invisiblejavacap
hazelnut

#2327964 - 02/12/04 06:03 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

how do I keep the humidity that high in an enclosed box with plastic over it?

and the casing is just a layer of verm over the colonization, right?

InvisibleZapotecorum
AlcoHoliC

#2327980 - 02/12/04 06:11 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

what kind of container will you be using? if its a tray when the substrate is fully colonized you remove the plastic wrap and put the tray in a terrarium/rubbermade bin, thats were you keep the humidity up.

the standerd casing is verm and peat moss with a little lime or oyster shells, i prefer more verm then peat moss usually around 70/30. experimenting is the only way to find the one that works with you.

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2327990 - 02/12/04 06:14 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Running late in reply, groceries to collect.

>>>Also, if I understand correctly, I can use vemiculite instead of straw in the substrate mixture. Have you grown this way, without using straw?

That's not bulk, that's cased grain and embellishing the water content of the grain.

>>>Do you mean to spoon out from an innoculated jar, onto the bulk substrate?

It has to be colonised first, then you can spoon it out.

>>>I was thinking of innoculating popcorn jars.

That would wok, but millet is better because the particles are smaller and that means oodles more inoculation points to the bulk.

>>>>Can I colonize them, then spread it all out onto the dung substrate?

That's what you do, though you mix, rather than spread.

>>>What happens after that?

It colonised the bulk in total darkness at room temp (no need for incubation as it generates its own warmth) then case 3/4" in coir and or coir/verm, patch to get an even "break through", introduce to the light and it will fruit. In fact it doesn't even need light to fruit. Just you checking the case layer will fruit it -- that's enough light. My garbo lid covered pots fruited that way.

>>>how do I keep the humidity that high in an enclosed box with plastic over it?

The bulk is moist, so in an enclosed tub or covered it will remain high in RH -- relative humidity.

>>>and the casing is just a layer of verm over the colonization, right?

Or coir and/or verm or pH adjusted peat.

Hit that FAQ link. It's all there. http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/3282

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #2328002 - 02/12/04 06:22 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Vermiculite and cow poo is better than straw and cow poo, mor eresistant to contams.

Horse poo doesn't usually need anything added to it.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds