Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Jimi Hendrix

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleLetto
Load Universeinto Cannon. Aimat Brain. Fire.
Stevie Ray Vaughan
    #2327282 - 02/12/04 04:31 PM (13 years, 17 days ago)

Does anybody here listen to SRV? I feel like I've known him all my life just through listening to his playing. It's horrible he died so young, after getting clean.

[url=http://www.shroomery.org/forums/files/04-07/662057204-9049111l.jpg][image]

If you like his music, I seriously recommend the DVD Live at the El Mocambo. I don't really know how to describe it, except by saying that if you remotely enjoy SRV, then watching the video will just blow you away and you'll have a new appreciation for the guitar. While the setlist doesn't really show just how talented he was, it shows how intense and focused he was in his playing. The DVD Live from Austin Texas has performaces spanning his career and it shows him as a better player, but the setting isn't nearly as intimate (it's just his performances from Austin City Limits).

If you haven't listened to him before, I definitely recommend you listen to Pride and Joy, Texas Flood, Lenny, Little Wing (compare it to Hendrix's version), and Voodoo Chile (again, compare it to Hendrix's version). Also, you can get a clip from Live at the El Mocambo on Kazaa, but it's only the last 2 songs, Lenny and Wham. SRV was hugely influenced by Hendrix and I don't know any other guitarist (besides Kenny Wayne Sheppard, who is a follower of SRV like SRV was to Hendrix) who could cover any Hendrix song and make it have the same intensity and feeling. It's not something you can do just by playing the notes. It has to come from something else...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Re: Stevie Ray Vaughan [Re: Letto]
    #2327458 - 02/12/04 05:11 PM (13 years, 17 days ago)

i agree with you totally. el mocambo is one of the best shows i have evern seen. you should try to find an mp3 of people singing amazing grace at his funeral... it's unreal.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

InvisibleTheDude
is waiting forthe peak

Re: Stevie Ray Vaughan [Re: Letto]
    #2327483 - 02/12/04 05:17 PM (13 years, 17 days ago)

Ill add that to my list of DVDs to check out. I already have Live From Austin Texas which is really cool, two thumbs up indeed. I love Hendrix, SRV and KWS who is definitely a guitar force to be reckoned with, i can't wait to see what the future holds for that guy.

mmmmm, and Stevie's version of "little wing" is so soulful i think even Hendrix takes a backseat on that one.

--------------------
"this lebowski he called himself 'the dude'. now, 'dude', that's a name no one would self-apply where i come from but there was a lot about the dude that didn't make sense to me...."--the Stranger

Offlineihavefingers
Stranger

Re: Stevie Ray Vaughan [Re: TheDude]
    #2328692 - 02/12/04 11:40 PM (13 years, 17 days ago)

SRV's version of Voodoo Chile can't be compared to Hendrix's... studio recorded version, woodstock version, and my all time favorite is the Berkeley 2nd show... i have heard a version of Little Wing, i don't know if it's SRV's but it's damn good.

OfflineOook
Oook!

Loc: England
Re: Stevie Ray Vaughan [Re: ihavefingers]
    #2329532 - 02/13/04 05:54 AM (13 years, 17 days ago)

I reckon his covers of hendrix songs are way better than the originals, maybe it's just me, I don't wanna offend any hendrix fans though. On a side note my mum saw the jimmy's first live performance ever in england, which is pretty cool.

InvisibleLetto
Load Universeinto Cannon. Aimat Brain. Fire.
Re: Stevie Ray Vaughan [Re: ihavefingers]
    #2330035 - 02/13/04 11:43 AM (13 years, 17 days ago)

I'm not trying to compare SRV's cover to Hendrix's originals. You just have to give Stevie credit that he could play the hell out of those songs, not by trying to sound like Hendrix, but by giving them his own personal feel. There's not many people who could accomplish that. The SRV Little Wing version is like 6 minutes long, just an instrumental. Again, it can't be compared to Hendrix's (plus Jimi's was only like 2.5 minutes). SRV also played Third Stone from the Sun (another Hendrix cover), but those are all I can remember off the top of my head. He would always play Hendrix covers during live performances, long before he ever recorded them and released them.

automan - I searched Kazaa and got a file called Stevie Ray Vaughan - Amazing Grace, but it's only a guitar track, and it sounds like something Jimmy Vaughan would play, not Stevie. Do you remember where you heard the singing track from?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Jimi Hendrix

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media