Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinekrishnalove
ᕙ(░ಥ╭͜ʖ╮ಥ░)━☆゚.*・。゚
I'm a teapot

Re: Smoking cannabis ALTERS your DNA 'causing mutations that can trigger serious illness, including canc [Re: Oggy]
    #23271521 - 05/25/16 08:33 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

you guys are high.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepthorne
Stranger

Loc: CANADA
Re: Smoking cannabis ALTERS your DNA 'causing mutations that can trigger serious illness, including canc [Re: krishnalove]
    #23272052 - 05/25/16 10:51 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

This is an impossible concept to even study in a modern human, there are literally countless variables to consider within society that can cause cellular mutations. There shouldn't be any debate about this at all, and why exactly the stigma against weed?
People can hurt themselves with weed like they could with a fork,
and both can benefit one who knows how they can be used

--------------------
Try: weed (nightly usage for nearly 6 years), LSD (4), DMT (0), HBW (2), Morning Glories (11),DXM (6), opium (0), 25c-NBOME (3), Peyote(once), Ketamine (0), opiates (10+ times),Amanita(smoked), Kratom (3), Spice (20+ times), Datura(0), Mushrooms(from 0.5gs-44gs dried,43 experiences total), 4-ACO-DMT(5), 4-ACO-MET (3), Etizolam (5), Salvia(200+ times), Lotus Flower's(0), MDMA(15+ times), Methoxetamine (0), 2C-E (3), BK-2C-B (3), 5-meo-DMT (0), 2C-P (6), 4-HO-MET (0), morphine (once), Lorazepam (once), Calea zacatechichi (10+ times).

InvisibleGottaloveacid
Weedbass
Male

Loc: Colorado, USA
Re: Smoking cannabis ALTERS your DNA 'causing mutations that can trigger serious illness, including canc [Re: pthorne]
    #23272167 - 05/25/16 11:39 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

It says "Mutation Research – Fundamental and Molecular Mechanisms of Mutagenesis." Anyone care to dig that up so we can get some proper citation?

The reason so many (including myself) are quick to disbelieve this article isn't due to pro cannabis bias but rather how nothing was explained in any detail what so ever about how these mutations occur exactly, plus there is no direct citations for any of the information. It also said the person who conducted this research merely "examined prior research and statistics" but then it goes on to say that HE conducted all of the studies. Seemed like very spotty info.

--------------------

:mushroom2::mushroom2: The greatest story ever told is the story that never ends!:mushroom2::mushroom2:

wubba lubba dub dubstep :gimmebass:

OfflineLittleDaddy
Male User Gallery

Re: Smoking cannabis ALTERS your DNA 'causing mutations that can trigger serious illness, including canc [Re: Gottaloveacid]
    #23272223 - 05/26/16 12:04 AM (7 years, 9 months ago)

The information is on the page. You just don't have access to the full text unless you're a student/researcher/own a subscription.

--------------------
The hotter the battle, the sweeter Jah victory.
Put the heathen's back upon the wall.

InvisibleCactiphile
cactiphile
 User Gallery

Re: Smoking cannabis ALTERS your DNA 'causing mutations that can trigger serious illness, including canc [Re: LittleDaddy]
    #23272318 - 05/26/16 12:44 AM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Pahahaa!!

Its worse than thalidomide!

Pahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

And

Quote:

LittleDaddy said:
This community is so quick at rejecting anti marijuana studies and accepting pro marijuana. It's even been said you can't find the article. I'll read it later and I'm not in support or against it, but the bias here is just as bad as the anti marijuana community.

^ this fuckin guy again.

InvisibleCactiphile
cactiphile
 User Gallery

Re: Smoking cannabis ALTERS your DNA 'causing mutations that can trigger serious illness, including canc [Re: Cactiphile]
    #23272348 - 05/26/16 12:56 AM (7 years, 9 months ago)

The Vegetarian Gene: A Plant-Based Diet Causes Lasting Genetic Mutations That Could Increase Cancer Risk

http://www.medicaldaily.com/vegetarian-plant-based-diet-genetic-mutation-cancer-risk-380079

Id rather be stoned the vegetarian.

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: Smoking cannabis ALTERS your DNA 'causing mutations that can trigger serious illness, including canc [Re: Cactiphile]
    #23272489 - 05/26/16 02:07 AM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Smoking can affect DNA: Swedish study
http://www.thelocal.se/20131218/study

Swedish researchers have discovered that common health complications associated with smoking can have long-lasting effects on DNA and thus be passed down the generations.

"We expected to see some changes in the DNA, but I was surprised that they were so dramatic," Åsa Johansson, lead researcher on the project at Uppsala University, told The Local. "It’s very hard to measure and give consistent numbers, I can’t really say, but we do see changes of maybe 20 percent (in risk rates) in certain genes."

The Uppsala study indicated that smoking-related conditions such as cancer, diabetes, reduced immune system defences and lower sperm counts are far from temporary and may in fact even affect future generations.

Genes are inherited but can be altered throughout life by chemical exposure which affects their activity, known as epigenetic modifications. Such modifications occur naturally with ageing but are also affected by lifestyle and environmental factors.

"On the DNA there are various molecules which bond to the DNA and regulate its activity," Johansson explained.

"When you smoke you are exposed to certain toxins which cause molecules which change DNA behaviour. And the same genes that we see changing in smokers are those genes which other studies have suggested are involved in developing cancer, diabetes, etc."

The study was carried out by the Department of Immunology, Genetics and Pathology at Uppsala University and the Uppsala Clinical Research Center in eastern Sweden. The study examined the genetic impact of smoked tobacco as well as smokeless tobacco, a popular substance in Sweden known as snus.
Interestingly, while the researchers were able to identify many genes altered by smoking tobacco, the effects were not mirrored in smokeless tobacco. Johansson pointed out a couple of possible reasons for the discrepancy.

"The epigenetic modifications may not be caused by the actual tobacco, but by different elements created when it is burnt. Many of the changes may also be due to toxic substances added in production, not the tobacco itself," she said.

Johansson said current research had been unable to determine whether or not the genetic modifications caused by smoking tobacco are carried on to the next generation, but it is very possible.

"As far as we know right now there is no direct mechanism to transfer this," Johansson told The Local. "The studies have not proven that (direct effect) in humans. But similar animal studies done previously suggest that it can."

Edited by Konyap (05/26/16 02:08 AM)

InvisibleCactiphile
cactiphile
 User Gallery

Re: Smoking cannabis ALTERS your DNA 'causing mutations that can trigger serious illness, including canc [Re: Konyap]
    #23272497 - 05/26/16 02:13 AM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Carcinogenic by-products are bad...

OH MY GOD!

OfflineLittleDaddy
Male User Gallery

#23272632 - 05/26/16 04:45 AM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Lol Its funny how consistently you give in to other side of the argument and try to blow it off.

--------------------

InvisibleCactiphile
cactiphile
 User Gallery

Re: Smoking cannabis ALTERS your DNA 'causing mutations that can trigger serious illness, including canc [Re: Konyap]
    #23272647 - 05/26/16 04:57 AM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Konyap said:

The study was carried out by the Department of Immunology, Genetics and Pathology at Uppsala University and the Uppsala Clinical Research Center in eastern Sweden. The study examined the genetic impact of smoked tobacco as well as smokeless tobacco, a popular substance in Sweden known as snus.
Interestingly, while the researchers were able to identify many genes altered by smoking tobacco, the effects were not mirrored in smokeless tobacco. Johansson pointed out a couple of possible reasons for the discrepancy.

"The epigenetic modifications may not be caused by the actual tobacco, but by different elements created when it is burnt. Many of the changes may also be due to toxic substances added in production, not the tobacco itself," she said."

Once again man... use your eyes and read, it doesnt say anything about weed.

And i was just laughing at the ridiculousness of this post.

Did you read the vego thing?

InvisibleCactiphile
cactiphile
 User Gallery

#23272651 - 05/26/16 05:02 AM (7 years, 9 months ago)

And its not really a surprise that inhaling carcinogens is bad for you

OfflineLittleDaddy
Male User Gallery

#23272675 - 05/26/16 05:26 AM (7 years, 9 months ago)

That's not even the article in question. I'm not debating with you again.

Chromothripsis and epigenomics complete causality criteria for cannabis- and addiction-connected carcinogenicity, congenital toxicity and heritable genotoxicity
Dr. Stuart Reece

Mutation Research/Fundamental and Molecular Mechanisms of Mutagenesis
Volume 789, July 2016, Pages 15–25

--------------------

Offlinekubekaper
chinacat sunflower
Female User Gallery

Loc: corn country, indiana
Re: Smoking cannabis ALTERS your DNA 'causing mutations that can trigger serious illness, including canc [Re: durian_2008]
    #23272693 - 05/26/16 05:42 AM (7 years, 9 months ago)

my mom and dad both smoked marijuana back in the day. my mom was pregnant with me and smoked. I graduated with honors. I smoked all through high school and until 30 days before I gave birth to my son, in February of 2011. he had already learned his letters and numbers, could speak in full sentences (without babytalk, because we didn't talk to him like that), and he, now, has already started to read and he doesn't even start kindergarten for another two months. on my side of things, this is pretty well bologna...I think people that already have bad genes that smoke are giving the rest of us that don't have bad genes and smoke a bad rep. THATS biased, if you ask me.

--------------------

Let us toast to animal pleasures, to escapism, to rain on the roof and instant coffee, to unemployment insurance and library cards, to absinthe and good-hearted landlords, to music and warm bodies and contraceptives… and to the “good life”, whatever it is and wherever it happens to be.

OfflineLittleDaddy
Male User Gallery

Re: Smoking cannabis ALTERS your DNA 'causing mutations that can trigger serious illness, including canc [Re: LittleDaddy]
    #23272718 - 05/26/16 06:04 AM (7 years, 9 months ago)

For those interested, I will not quote the whole article for copyright reasons, but the citation is in my above comment.

Quote:

Of significance and concern Δ-9 tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) [34], [35], [36] and [37] and other cannabinoids [38] act similarly to taxol. Importantly it has been shown that a 2 h exposure to 5 and 10 μM of THC reduced tubulin mRNA by 50% & 78% [36]. Recapitulating many of the key features of the above findings, THC has been shown to interfere with tubulin polymerization [34] and [39], be associated with micronuclear formation (4–6 fold increase) [21], [40], [41], [42], [43], [44] and [45], cause growth arrest in tissues [46] and [47], be linked with gross chromosomal morphological abnormalities (breaks, chains, rings, deletions, inversions, double minutes [21], [40], [42], [45], [48], [49], [50], [51], [52] and [53]), induce chromosomal translocations [42], [43], [45], [48] and [53], cause multiple pronuclear divisions in anaphase as opposed to the normal bi-pronuclear separation, be linked with anaphase chromatin bridge formation [25], [40] and [44], aneuploidy [43], [44] and [54], errors of chromosomal segregation [25] and [44], and abnormalities of nuclear morphology [25], [44], [45], [53] and [55]. Heritable ring and chain translocations and aneuploidy in germ cells has also been shown [43] and [51]. Major chromosomal aberrations and micronuclei have been shown in diverse tissues in humans including circulating lymphocytes in cannabis users [43], lymphocytes stimulated in vitro [40] and [54], polychromatic erythrocytes [43] and [45], bone marrow cells [41], [43] and [45], lung cells [21] and [52] and human sperm [43] and [55]. Interestingly a UCLA group reported field cancerization and a super-multiplicative interaction between cannabis exposure and chromosomal breaks in a bleomycin-induced stimulated circulating lymphocyte clastogenic assay in a case-control study of head and neck cancer [56]. Furthermore THC concentrations of 20 μM reduced the other key component of the intracellular cytoskeleton actin mRNA levels by 40%, and interactions between the centriole and the sub-cortical actin cloud has recently been shown to play a key role in the correct orientation of the centrosomes during mitosis [57]

Taxol is an chemotherapeutic drug that interferes with the proteins responsible for moving chromosomes in cell division, causing the cell to arrest itself - this isn't necessarily good because it doesn't selectively target cancer cells, but we use it against cancer because cancer divides faster than most, but not all, cells in the body (red blood cells, immune cells, etc.). Because it targets ALL rapidly dividing cells that's why you feel like shit on chemo and have all the negative side effects. This isn't to say THC is as potent as Taxol, hence why it isn't a prescribed chemotherapeutic.

Quote:

One important observation to emerge from these studies is the non-linear dose response kinetics of cannabis in mutagenicity and genotoxicity studies (Fig. 5). Low dose THC and other cannabinoids have been found both in vitro (<5 μg/ml or <5 μmol/l) and in clinical studies (<1 joint/day) to be rarely associated with genotoxically mediated adverse outcomes [36], [37], [40], [41], [42], [44], [47], [48], [49], [58], [59], [60] and [61]. Serum levels of 1 mmol/l have been reported after recreational use

In conclusion, I backcalculated to find that the dose used for micronuclei formation is higher than recreational usage unless you eat a 60 + mg THC brownie or smoke at least 3 joints, but the other doses are hard to correlate so I can't comment.

--------------------

Edited by LittleDaddy (05/26/16 06:33 AM)

Invisibletealeaf
Just Touch It
 User Gallery

#23272753 - 05/26/16 06:28 AM (7 years, 9 months ago)

I'm going to keep smoking cigarettes instead since they are legal and don't change my dna like the devil's lettuce does  :cigarettepug:

--------------------
:dancingbear:

SonicTitan said:
"Id rail the same amount of come to crack"

https://soundcloud.com/matty_dread

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ShrillGoldenChimpanzee-size_restricted.gif

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Smoking cannabis ALTERS your DNA 'causing mutations that can trigger serious illness, including canc [Re: tealeaf]
    #23272823 - 05/26/16 07:04 AM (7 years, 9 months ago)

cannot handle news in an unbiased way?
That actually is just as bad as being fed lies and believing them. Assuming everything is true, assuming everything is false. Just as bad.

I just wanna see if theres any true science in the actual study, trying to *find* the *actual study* (not the article)

I smoke a good amount, also into vaping though. But i really just like to smoke. If this does happen to be true, it seems to not apply to vapor (not saying i do or dont believe it, although i *am* used to bs articles like most people here). But that does not neccesarily mean this one is bs. That Swedish article a few posts up is basically just saying that *smoke* is bad. But the original post is about DNA

--------------------
Dreaming of That face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes.

Prying open MY third eye

Edited by Fractal420 (05/26/16 07:18 AM)

OfflineLittleDaddy
Male User Gallery

Re: Smoking cannabis ALTERS your DNA 'causing mutations that can trigger serious illness, including canc [Re: Fractal420]
    #23272874 - 05/26/16 07:25 AM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Fractal420 said:
cannot handle news in an unbiased way?
That actually is just as bad as being fed lies and believing them. Assuming everything is true, assuming everything is false. Just as bad.

I just wanna see if theres any true science in the actual study, trying to *find* the *actual study* (not the article)

I smoke a good amount, also into vaping though. But i really just like to smoke. If this does happen to be true, it seems to not apply to vapor (not saying i do or dont believe it, although i *am* used to bs articles like most people here). But that does not neccesarily mean this one is bs. That Swedish article a few posts up is basically just saying that *smoke* is bad. But the original post is about DNA

:thumbup: to your comment

here's the article citation, though you must have access.

Chromothripsis and epigenomics complete causality criteria for cannabis- and addiction-connected carcinogenicity, congenital toxicity and heritable genotoxicity
Dr. Stuart Reece

Mutation Research/Fundamental and Molecular Mechanisms of Mutagenesis
Volume 789, July 2016, Pages 15–25

--------------------

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: Smoking cannabis ALTERS your DNA 'causing mutations that can trigger serious illness, including canc [Re: AIRDOG]
    #23273155 - 05/26/16 09:13 AM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

AIRDOG said:
Quote:

Kush_Zombie said:
As an individual who smokes cannabis frequently, I can confirm this.

you are full of shit

So is the Dailymail.com

OfflineNotTheDevil
Transhuman

Loc: US Flag
Re: Smoking cannabis ALTERS your DNA 'causing mutations that can trigger serious illness, including canc [Re: LittleDaddy] * 1
    #23273874 - 05/26/16 01:01 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

LittleDaddy said:
This community is so quick at rejecting anti marijuana studies and accepting pro marijuana. It's even been said you can't find the article. I'll read it later and I'm not in support or against it, but the bias here is just as bad as the anti marijuana community.

Would you like me to tell you why that is? It's because the US Government has been trying vigorously to find literally anything about marijuana that was physically harmful and, unless they cheated*, they failed to do for over 50 years. Furthermore the history of marijuana study has been filled with false claims and purposely misleading studies made by biased parties with objective science proving them wrong time and time again over the years.

In other words, people don't believe it easily because it's almost as unlikely as a study proving tobacco is actually harmless coming from anyone but a tobacco company.

*cheated
Cheated by using the substance to cause harm in a way that doesn't involve the drugs it contains. Such as when the US government gave monkeys long term severe oxygen deficiency using marijuana smoke to "prove" that marijuana kills brain cells.

OfflineNotTheDevil
Transhuman

Loc: US Flag
Re: Smoking cannabis ALTERS your DNA 'causing mutations that can trigger serious illness, including canc [Re: Le_Canard]
    #23273938 - 05/26/16 01:28 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Le_Canard said:
Quote:

AIRDOG said:
Quote:

Kush_Zombie said:
As an individual who smokes cannabis frequently, I can confirm this.

you are full of shit

So is the Dailymail.com

Often known as DailyFail (not making it up), Cracked.com won't even accept them as a reference.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale