Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinenubious
1up on the rest

Loc: Canada
Thoughts on the future of cats and dogs...
    #2327215 - 02/12/04 04:16 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

One day, we're going to colonize space (providing we dont blow things up). When that day comes, we may realise that it's time to move on, and people will eventually move off the face of the earth, leaving it to regenerate itself through natural means.

When we all leave the planet, chances are we're not going to be able to bring all the cats and dogs with us, so they will be left on earth to evolve...

We may survive another million years on other planets in other solar systems.. who knows; no one can know the future for sure. One day, we might come back to these cats and dogs, and at that time, these animals will consider us aliens.
They may have societies based on stuff we don't, views we don't agree with, and inter-planetary conflict not known to us - AKA we will be outsiders.

We love cats and dogs (most of us).. Why would we want to go and stir shit up on their home planet? We don't! We wan't to go hang out with our furry little friends, but when we realise how advanced they are, we sure as hell are going to want to do tests on them... They aren't going to like that too much, so we're going to be as quiet as possible about it...

I'm sure you all see the point I'm trying to make.

Dinosaurs ruled the earth (so I'm told) millions of years ago. People talk about a reptillian race that lives underground. I'm not saying that this is the gospel truth, but what I AM saying is that it may not be far from it. For all we know, our predecessors (sp?) are watching us right now, trying to figure out how we work. Good for them. We'd do it to.

--------------------
No one knows the worth of innocence till he knows it is gone forever, and that money can't buy it back. Not the saint, but the sinner that repenteth, is he to whom the full length and breadth, and height and depth, of life's meaning is revealed. Good and evil loose all objective meaning and are seen as equally necessary and contrasting elements in the masterpiece that is the universe.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemuhurgle
Turtles all theway down

Re: Thoughts on the future of cats and dogs... [Re: nubious]
    #2327799 - 02/12/04 06:53 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Been watching Red Dwarf?

--------------------
"To make this mundane world sublime
Take half a gram of phanerothyme."

Aldous Huxley

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

Re: Thoughts on the future of cats and dogs... [Re: nubious]
    #2327800 - 02/12/04 06:53 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Humanity will never move off of planet Earth.

Do you really think that the benefits of leaving Earth outweigh the costs of doing so? It'd be a lot easier to just stay here.

It's not as if the Earth has stopped "regenerating itself through natural means". The Earth is a much more resiliant organism than alot of people give it credit for.

It's the whole scenario people imagine of an Earth blackened by evil humans that I just don't buy. Once fossil fuels become economically obsolete, alternative fuels will rapidly replace them. Anyhow, Owsley III (quintessential LSD chemist of the 60's) has stated that burning fossil fuels is one of the most beneficial things mankind has done for the planet.

A more likely scenario is that all this gung ho "futurist" thinking will be the cause of our demise. Example: Genetic engineering ruins our ecosystem. But I won't get into that in this thread.

OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

Re: Thoughts on the future of cats and dogs... [Re: Viveka]
    #2327815 - 02/12/04 06:59 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

The Earth is a much more resiliant organism than alot of people give it credit for...It's the whole scenario people imagine of an Earth blackened by evil humans that I just don't buy.  Once fossil fuels become economically obsolete, alternative fuels will rapidly replace them.
Agreed  :thumbup:

Genetic engineering ruins our ecosystem.  But I won't get into that in this thread.
Sounds interesting...gonna start one?

--------------------
"...yet another in a long series of diversions an attempt to avoid responsibility."

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

Re: Thoughts on the future of cats and dogs... [Re: Viaggio]
    #2327835 - 02/12/04 07:08 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Genetic engineering ruins our ecosystem. But I won't get into that in this thread.
Sounds interesting...gonna start one?

There was a thread about genetic engineering and why people are against it last week or so. I posted some comments in their which people perceived as an "emotional reaction". I'll admit that I am passionate about the topic. Hell, I'll dredge it up again and post some more emotional drivel, heh. Look for it.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology