Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleTantrika
Miss Ann Thrope
Female

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Lashed to the pyre
Re: Final Fantasy 6 [Re: EllisDSox]
    #23216915 - 05/12/16 04:39 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

BERSERK DESTROYER said:
Save fuck ups are incredibly annoying. I have a ludicrous device for the SNES that effectively makes save states like an emulator, so I can have a back up save whenever there's a part of an RPG coming up that's all messed up and liable to rape the files. If the console is dirty, sometimes games just glitch out and delete everything for no reason, too. Someone explained the dynamics to me once, but it was incredibly complicated and the basic message was just keep the console clean to stop that shit happening.

I didn't think PS1 games could have save fuck ups, since the memory card would presumably be unaffected even by crashes and stuff.

Yeah, had always suspected the cards should be fine for corruption, so long as they were not pulled out while saving or anything stupid.
For some reason though, Xenogears gave me an awful time.

Would be playing, and for multiple sessions things would seem fine.  Then, would get to a save point one day while playing and it would give me a message about how saving failed, and at that point I was screwed.  Could not create new saves in blank spots (gave the same message), and trying to load my saves after that would result in them not working.

Remember revisiting the game in PS2 era, because I borrowed my roommates copy of the game to try a different disc and would periodically just back up my saves to a PS2 memory card, then go back and replace them if they got corrupted on the PS1 card while playing.
Then I decided it was too much headache to manage that way, and just downloaded a ROM onto my computer instead. :lol:

It was the only game that ever gave me issues of the sort on PS1, which was a shame as I quite loved it. 
Also remember originally getting a demo disc of it with Parasite Eve, and being endlessly fascinated with the short demo, so getting the game itself and having so many issues was frustrating, to say the least.

...now I also kind of want to revisit Parasite Eve. :cookiemonster:

Was quite the fanboy of squaresoft during ps1 era though -- even had a copy of Final Fantasy Anthology when they re-released FF5 and FF6 with the random FMV style cutscenes :lol:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleEllisDSox
King Hella!

Re: Final Fantasy 6 [Re: Tantrika]
    #23219668 - 05/12/16 06:57 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Fuck, I remember all the PS1 demo disks. No one would get away with that shit these days. One of the greatest experiences of my life was playing Tomb Raider when it was brand new and having my friend's insane, ancient father come in, look at the screen and scream, "OH MY GOD! WHAT EXQUISITE BRICKWORK!" He wasn't even slightly joking. Tomb Raider was actually pretty shit, thinking back.

On the actual topic of this thread, it seems like I definitely did so much leveling up in zombified states of sleep deprivation that the final portion of the game is going to be a complete joke unless there are puzzles and stuff.

--------------------
Disclaimer: If you have any kind of heart condition, my posts are not for you. You could literally die from reading the first couple of words in any one of them. Scroll down the page, live your life and prosper, but don't read my posts because your heart will probably explode. I am not joking.

InvisibleByrain

#23220688 - 05/12/16 11:32 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

As far as action/adventure games go the old Tomb Raiders were actually pretty good, their biggest flaw was that their control scheme was pre-mouse look making those games very awkward and tedious by today's standards.

OpenTomb is a project with semi-active development that intends to make a free re-implementation of the Tomb Raider engine for the first five games which will solve this issue if it ever finishes development...
https://github.com/opentomb/OpenTomb

InvisibleEllisDSox
King Hella!

Re: Final Fantasy 6 [Re: Byrain]
    #23222754 - 05/13/16 03:23 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, I remember the controls being totally horrible. I only ever played the first one, though, and didn't really get into it very much. To me, it was just Mario 64 with shit controls, a more sinister theme and a woman with big breasts.

--------------------
Disclaimer: If you have any kind of heart condition, my posts are not for you. You could literally die from reading the first couple of words in any one of them. Scroll down the page, live your life and prosper, but don't read my posts because your heart will probably explode. I am not joking.

Offlineakira_akuma
Φύσις κρύπτεσθαι ὕψιστος φιλεῖ

Loc: Onypeirophóros
    #23223657 - 05/13/16 08:01 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Tomb Raider was fun. two was too complicated: thus not as fun (though more complex) -- but 1, it was fun, puzzling...more than anything. so the  controls weren't a huge issue. that's the hey day for older Tomb Raider. obviously they've improved the game already with the Anniversary Edition; but still...given the pros and cons...the 1st one is still a replayable classic if you think of it like a puzzle game with some shooting, more than a platformer, with shooting, which is what Tomb Raider 2 turned into.

InvisibleEllisDSox
King Hella!

Re: Final Fantasy 6 [Re: akira_akuma]
    #23223703 - 05/13/16 08:16 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

I have a feeling I never even completed it. I think it's just one of those games that was probably impressive at the time but is really hard to revisit because of shit controls and early 3D era graphical fuck ups and things. Maybe the PAL version was really shit or something, though. I know a lot of these games weren't localised properly.

--------------------

Offlineakira_akuma
Φύσις κρύπτεσθαι ὕψιστος φιλεῖ

Loc: Onypeirophóros
    #23223746 - 05/13/16 08:25 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

oh that could be.

the levels were what made the game good, i guess is what i'm getting at. despite that, yeah, the controls and graphics were awful, of course.

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: Final Fantasy 6 [Re: akira_akuma]
    #23223801 - 05/13/16 08:38 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

ps1 games marred by the fact that they were 3d but the controller was 2d lol

InvisibleEllisDSox
King Hella!

Re: Final Fantasy 6 [Re: Konyap]
    #23224306 - 05/13/16 11:09 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

They did pretty damn well given that it was meant to be a SNES add on and ended up being an incredibly successful stand alone console. Some of the really early PS1 games look like absolute dog shit, though. I guess first generation 3D games on all consoles aged pretty terribly, but the PS1 seems to be the worst.

--------------------

OfflineKonyap

#23224414 - 05/13/16 11:44 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

it really was a peice of shit without a doubt that the world could have missed out on
lol

InvisibleJohn NadaDiscord
Toujours Frais
 User Gallery
Loc: Hotwings; race car
Re: Final Fantasy 6 [Re: EllisDSox] * 1
    #23224464 - 05/14/16 12:07 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

If you were old enough to remember the original PlayStation when it came out all you'd remember is it being awesome as fuck back then. It came out in 1994 or some shit, and at the time the best one out was Sega Genesis, which PlayStation shit on.

Edited by John Nada (05/14/16 01:25 AM)

InvisibleChakanooga
Always Lmao
Male User Gallery

Loc: Wonderland
Re: Final Fantasy 6 [Re: John Nada]
    #23224549 - 05/14/16 01:01 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Oddworld ftw.

--------------------
Official:
Facemelter
HyperspaceTraveller
NostalgicGamer

InvisibleEllisDSox
King Hella!

Re: Final Fantasy 6 [Re: John Nada]
    #23224672 - 05/14/16 02:17 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

I remember when it came out. My SNES bias has deep roots.

--------------------

InvisibleEllisDSox
King Hella!

Re: Final Fantasy 6 [Re: Chakanooga]
    #23224682 - 05/14/16 02:20 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

The PS1 version of Worms was the best.

--------------------

InvisibleEllisDSox
King Hella!

#23270362 - 05/25/16 03:44 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Triple post, but genuinely Bomberman 5 on the SNES might be the best multiplayer game ever made.

--------------------

Invisiblefungusmuncher
rabbit chaser
Male User Gallery

#23301301 - 06/02/16 08:22 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

I was playing through this about a year ago but my save battery went out after putting about 32 hours into it.  Really amazing game but  once I got it fixed I didn't have the motivation to play through it again.  :sad:

Fired up the snes a few days ago and just finished up Secret of Mana.  Now I'm trying to decide if I'm going to play back through FF6 or start on Seiken Densetsu 3.

InvisibleEllisDSox
King Hella!

Re: Final Fantasy 6 [Re: fungusmuncher]
    #23303620 - 06/03/16 02:31 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

FF6 isn't that horrendous to get through even if you want to get absolutely everything. Seiken Densetsu 3 seems dauntingly huge so get a battery clip if you're going to start up on that one.

Actually, normal people don't buy reproduction SNES translations so you're almost definitely using an emulator.

--------------------

Edited by EllisDSox (06/03/16 02:38 PM)

Invisiblefungusmuncher
rabbit chaser
Male User Gallery

#23303760 - 06/03/16 03:19 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Yea I put the emulator on a wii, it plays really nice and it's sweet to have the wireless controller.  Started playing Seiken Densetsu 3 this morning and it seems great so far.  Just hoping I picked a decent party, starting to second guess it a bit.

OfflineKonyap

#23305393 - 06/03/16 10:43 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

I'm not going to play that one until i find a partner
we could hammer through secret of mana in a couple days lol

InvisibleEllisDSox
King Hella!

#23308079 - 06/04/16 06:54 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

fungusmuncher said:
Yea I put the emulator on a wii, it plays really nice and it's sweet to have the wireless controller.  Started playing Seiken Densetsu 3 this morning and it seems great so far.  Just hoping I picked a decent party, starting to second guess it a bit.

The game, as far as I know, plays out totally differently depending on the party and all kinds of random shit, so it's probably worth just doing a bunch of times rather than choosing an optimum group that can become disgustingly overpowered. This is why I still haven't finished FF6. I inadvertently got my main characters so powerful I can clearly wreck all the bosses in about three moves so I don't even have the drive to bother. At least SD3 or SoM2 or whatever we want to call it isn't turn based so fights are doable at really low levels if you're really fucking good.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]