Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Aquarium Heater, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDexter666
journeyman
Loc: NH
Oven tek
    #2326229 - 02/12/04 11:59 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Has anyone here used the oven tek and if so did you get any contamination and how good does this oven tek work as I could build a glove box but the oven tek sounds like it works even better but I don't know. Also how did you use the oven tek as the instructions are a little vauge on the whole procedure.

--------------------
Just say NO to police searches!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinem0rb
mushroom mobster

Loc: New England
Re: Oven tek [Re: Dexter666]
    #2326702 - 02/12/04 02:17 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Many people here have used the oven tek sucessfuly. You should be fine if you use it too. Depending on your sterile technique, you might loose all the jars, or no jars. It really depends on alot of things. Just make sure your jars/substrate are sterile, and be as sterile as possible when innoculating.

Good luck, Things will be fine!

-m0rb-

--------------------
"The business of America is business," - Calvin Coolidge

OfflineDexter666
journeyman
Re: Oven tek [Re: m0rb]
    #2334113 - 02/14/04 01:52 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I have alot of grease build up in my oven and even though I tried and tried I can't get that shit out but if I just bleach the whole thing and then spray down with lysol and IPA should I be ok? Also how far out should I pull the rack, and how close in should I innoculate the jars? Also what heat temp should the oven be at for best results as i would imagiene the hotter the better but will this harm the jars or syringe? After I innoculate one do I need to recover with foil as I will be punturing right through the foil with the needle and was wondering if I need to re cover or what, also what should I do with the jars after innoculation to keep them sterile, I was going to immediately put them into a 20gal rubbermaid tub that has been sprayed with lysol and then just let them sit in there for however long it takes for colonization but was wondering if I will need to add outside heat, they are 1/2 pints PF style that I will be casing. The room the tub will be in is around no less than 60 and no more usually than 75 so maybe i should add outside heat but i was told by a friend not too because they produce there own heat and they will colonize the same if I add heat. Also should I loosen the lids as they will only have one or two holes each and if so when in the process should I do so and should I for the incubation remove the foil or re foil or what, i will be using a layer of vermiculite in jars top layer. Also I still have'nt heard a good answer to this question, should I for 1/2 pint pf style cakes inoculate the jars by sliding the needle into the side of the cake so the spore solution drips down the side or should I just stick it directly into the center of the cake.

--------------------

Edited by Dexter666 (02/14/04 02:40 PM)

Offlinedaywalker
Do you dream in color?

Loc: in my skin
    #2334209 - 02/14/04 02:33 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

You are doing your best to keep things sterile and that is all you can do. Nasties are a given in the home cultivator's environment, just minimize them as much as you can and you will have nice results!

Pull up a chair to the oven with all your sterility tools (lighter, alcohol swabs), and inoculate ready to go, open the door and pull out the rack just enough to support the tray of jars and enough so the heat doesn't get to you. Be comfortable.

Ideally, temps should be higher, so don't be surprised if everything goes s l o w l y.

Good luck.

--------------------
"I suggest we ... learn to love our ... selves before it ... becomes illegal."

OfflineDexter666
journeyman
Re: Oven tek [Re: daywalker]
    #2334242 - 02/14/04 02:42 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

What do you mean by things going S L O W L Y.

--------------------

Offlinedaywalker
Do you dream in color?

Loc: in my skin
    #2334249 - 02/14/04 02:45 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

>What do you mean by things going S L O W L Y.

As in germination of spores and colonization of substrate. The cooler temps will slow that down. Go for 86. I'd drop them to 83-84 when the colonization is beyond 90%.

Capiche?

--------------------
"I suggest we ... learn to love our ... selves before it ... becomes illegal."

OfflineDexter666
journeyman
Re: Oven tek [Re: daywalker]
    #2334967 - 02/14/04 06:19 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Oh so do you think I should build a incubator with a aquarium heater submerged in water? If I set the heater at 85 in the water, will the temp inside the incubator be that or does it vary on how much water is in it and do you just have to experiement with the temps until you get the air temp you need or is it like I said before that what temp the water is the air will be which I highly doubt but I'm doped up right now or else i'd be able to answer it myself in my head.

--------------------

Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

#2335346 - 02/14/04 08:31 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Dexter, as far as the oven tek goes, it really isn't gonna do much. Your BEST bet would be to have the air in which you are innoculating STILL. Turn off all the fans in the house, and close the door if possible. Do the innoc on a table or counter that you have cleaned well with bleach/alcohol/lysol/whatever. Clean hands with it too, flame the needle and go to town. This is as clean as you need to be for innoculation. If your substrate and innoculant are clean you will be fine. I myself used the oven tek alot, but a clean counter plenty for just injecting jars or bags.

I would suggest a glovebox for things that have a higher risk of infection. Liqiud cultures, agar work, and grain 2 grain transfers should be done in a GB or under a flowhood.

SM

--------------------

OfflineBen_Stein
Spelling Gestapo

Loc: Hooterville
Re: Oven tek [Re: simplemachine]
    #2335530 - 02/14/04 09:52 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Oven tek sucks!  Unless you'e into unnecessary back-breaking or an otherwise contorted working posture.

And it doesn't do shit anyway.  :thumbdown:

Follow simplemachine's advice ^^^ you'll be fine, and you'll have a healthier, happier spine.  :wink:

--------------------
I'm so ready to start growing. I've shroomed twice and loved it to no extent. --Mindgames

OfflineDexter666
journeyman
Re: Oven tek [Re: Ben_Stein]
    #2337394 - 02/15/04 02:56 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Ok some say it works great with no contams others say it sucks and does nothing, well how about I keep the oven and surrounding area super clean and also keep the air around still except for the heat riasing in the oven so i get the best of both worlds or should i just play it safe and build a cheap effective glovebox?

--------------------

OfflineBen_Stein
Spelling Gestapo

#2338010 - 02/15/04 05:45 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

This is the typical response to almost any question involving technique. It will always come down to personal preference; what works for one may not work for someone else.

Just because a person has success using the Oven Tek, doesn't mean that they wouldn't have succeeded equally without it. Chances are they have an unusually clean environment and wouldn't have a problem anywhere.

As simplemachine stated, inoculating jars is not a particularly risky endeavor. If you do end up with contams, there are too many variables to even know where the problem lies without doing a bunch of controls and elimination studies. I've had extremely dismal results with the oven, yet I've done G2G and open air Karo transfers in a small room on a sanitized surface with consistently positive results.

Of course you'll want to start out as safe as possible, but you never really know what you can get away with, until you stray a little.

--------------------
I'm so ready to start growing. I've shroomed twice and loved it to no extent. --Mindgames

OfflineDexter666
journeyman
    #2340208 - 02/16/04 08:25 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I've had more than one person tell me that they have experimented with the oven tek leaving there jars open in front of the oven for 30min or more with no contamination so i would say the oven tek is super but i could easily build a glovebox but i was told the oven tek is even better to use and i will of coarse be keeping a close eye of sterilization with heavy mists of IPA and lysol/Oust and plus good old bleach as well. Also another thing, the tek says to put the oven on its lowest setting, now would'nt you want it on its highest setting to keep a stronger air flow over the jars or is it that the high heat setting might ruin things or should I have it on the highest setting?

--------------------

OfflineBen_Stein
Spelling Gestapo

#2340366 - 02/16/04 10:01 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Lowest is correct. You will see when you try it that it doesn't take very long, even on low, for the jars and other things on the rack to begin to heat up.

The lowest setting on an oven is probably around 160F, maybe higher. Of course, you will not want your substrate getting anywhere near that temp, so don't leave your jars on the rack too long. It is better to do a few at a time and cycle them to a cooler spot in the kitchen or directly to the incubator.

Keep us posted.

--------------------

OfflineDexter666
journeyman
    #2340438 - 02/16/04 10:55 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

So you have had bad results with the oven tek? Was the surrounding enviroment clean and sterile as can be? What would be your advice on preventing contamination? Do you think having an air filter(air ionizer or filter system) around the oven would increase sucess, if so which kind or brand would work best at an affordable price and thats easy to find in most area stores? Also is the oven tek even a good method to use or would building a homemade glovebox be better, i've heard many say that the oven tek prevents all contamination because of the raising heat and as long the procedure is followed and everything in and aroung the oven/kitchen is kept clean plus anything used in the procedure then contamination is impossible or is this from your experience bull shit? but does it atleast work to some degree.

--------------------

Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

#2342324 - 02/16/04 06:45 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I've never had BAD luck with the oven tek, but I've had great luck working in a clean kitchen with no added percautions. the point is that it is difficult to use and uneeded. Just forget the oven man, with proper sterilization of subtrate, innoculant, needle, and your hands, you should have no trouble making clean jars on your kitchen counter. Anything that has to be done in a more sterile enviroment than innoculating a jar should be done in a glovebox.

SM

--------------------

OfflineBen_Stein
Spelling Gestapo

#2342703 - 02/16/04 08:11 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I posted something about having bad results with the Oven Tek. But I don't necessarily blame the tek, It was quite a while ago and I now have reason to question the quality of the syringes, and possibly my technique as well.

The Oven tek prolly works; the theory is sound anyway. For whatever reason, it never worked for me.

But the point of all this, as SM has so eloquently stated, is that it really is a pain and quite unecessary.

Quote:

Also is the oven tek even a good method to use or would building a homemade glovebox be better

To answer your question: A glovebox is definitely better, and will serve you well for other chores around the lab. This, too, is IMO is overkill for just shooting jars.

If you're ready to get started now, here's what I would do:
Skip the glovebox. Clean your oven and your kitchen, particularly the counter where you will be working.
Spray everything, including the air with 10% bleach solution and/or Lysol. Remember no fans or A/C.
Shoot a coupla jars on the counter. Replace the foil you PC'd with.
Shoot a couple on the oven rack and mark accordingly.
Sit back and watch.

In this way, you will have your own results to compare as well as first-hand experience with both exercises.

It all goes back to seeing what you can get away with and learning how not to overdo it.

This shit is really a lot easier than you may think.
Believe me, you will come to realize very quickly after your first success that this is not rocket science, and a lot of the razzmatazz you read about is just that.

Ben

--------------------

Anonymous

#3760035 - 02/10/05 03:10 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

... regarding the TITLE of the post... can any one post a Link to the so calles Oven Tek?

searching, searching...

Moderators always complain about people not using the search feature... well, this is the reason why.
We, Newbies, ask cause of 100 posts called Oven Tek, non of them should be called that way, cause non or a few contain the actuall Oven Tek...

So finally, every single time you have a doubt (which is pretty common in this hobbie) you have to put lots all these little pieces of information thogeter, many time contradicting info, to get an "idea" of what the "george michael in a public bathroom" tek is, or the "CD playing a song from a subway in a cat's mouth" tek ...

I know how you do it, the tek, I just want to see the pretty formal stuff... I have had pretty good results with it, I just wonder if I'm heating the oven too much (500 F), and everybody sais something different...

Thanks... I'm going to bed... too much search for today...

Thanks

Edited by Anonymous (02/10/05 03:21 AM)

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #3760350 - 02/10/05 05:21 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Photo by ANNO

Oven tek in my humble opinion is BS. Anyone who uses it & states they have low contam rate should buy megabucks lottery ticket
........they are that lucky.

Build a GLOVE BOX. It works, if decently constructed.

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Oven tek [Re: cuatiklad]
    #3760829 - 02/10/05 10:19 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

>... regarding the TITLE of the post... can any one post a Link to the so calles Oven Tek?
>searching, searching...
>Moderators always complain about people not using the search feature... well, this is the
>reason why.
>We, Newbies, ask cause of 100 posts called Oven Tek, non of them should be called that
>way, cause non or a few contain the actuall Oven Tek...

1. Go to http://www.shroomery.org/search
2. At the bottom under "You can also use Google to search the whole site." enter
oven tek
3. Press Google search

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Oven tek [Re: agar]
    #3761020 - 02/10/05 11:29 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

agar said:

Photo by ANNO

Oven tek in my humble opinion is BS. Anyone who uses it & states they have low contam rate should buy megabucks lottery ticket
........they are that lucky.

Build a GLOVE BOX. It works, if decently constructed.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Aquarium Heater, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation