Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedutchman
Stranger
Perfect little fruiting chamber (I think?)
    #23262272 - 05/23/16 03:46 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

After SGFC fail, I'm trying out other methods. Have one slacker PF Tek jar that's almost 2 weeks behind the rest - perfect candidate for a solo fruiting chamber.

Bitter from time lost to drilling holes :mad: wanted something I didn't have to hack. Had to be cheap, bonus points if it could sit out in the open without being noticeable. Or hideous.

Found this 2 Qt pitcher:

WallyMart, 98 cents (over by the ziploc containers).

Turned upside down, the green top has a perfect cake-sized divot and the spout-blocker-thing can be adjusted to allow airflow. The handle of the pitcher is easy to slice off. Even if you're successfully using a tub of some kind, this seems like a good way to deal with a sick or slacker cake.

** Q ** is it cool to put perlite in the divot under the cake? The humidity levels here are ~20% and I have a whole sgfc full of the stuff. Would vermiculite be better? Neither?

Will let you know how it actually works once slacker leaves the jar in a few days.

THANKS!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblejds

Re: Perfect little fruiting chamber (I think?) [Re: dutchman]
    #23262335 - 05/23/16 04:06 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

I'm not sure what others would say, but with the size of that fruiting chamber, I would just not use any perlite and mist once or twice a day as needed, instead.

I've used peanut butter jars with a few holes drilled in them in the past as solo fruiting chambers. It worked really well and it was cheap since I would just use the empty jars I'd usually throw away in the trash. I never put perlite in them, I'd just stick the PF cake in there and mist once a day.

--------------------
“No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...and if it occasionally gets a little heavier than what you had in mind, well...maybe chalk it off to forced conscious expansion: Tune in, freak out, get beaten.”

― Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #23262344 - 05/23/16 04:08 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Is this just for a single cake? A good fruiting chamber for one cake is a 2 or 3 litre soda bottle with a few inches of damp perlite in the bottom (cut the bottle around the middle) and polyfill stuffed medium tight in the mouth of the bottle.
You can add a few holes if need be

--------------------

Amateur Mycologists United
AMU Q&A

Offlinedutchman
Stranger
Re: Perfect little fruiting chamber (I think?) [Re: jds]
    #23266285 - 05/24/16 02:16 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Cool, thanks. Will do. Guess I was just looking for something to do with so much damn perlite.

Offlinedutchman
Stranger
Re: Perfect little fruiting chamber (I think?) [Re: mushpunx]
    #23266291 - 05/24/16 02:18 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks, but I'm tired of hacking things & honestly don't drink soda (not like you'd know that). The 98 cent already made pitcher wins :smirk:

InvisibleJosex
#cheat_code
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #23266323 - 05/24/16 02:31 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

IMO perlite ain't gunna do nuttin in there. Damp perlite will release humidity into the air when there's some air circulation in the chamber, that's why it's used in a SGFC, because it has holes on all six sides.

If you want, you can put some dry perlite in there so that it can absorb the water when you mist and wouldn't pool at the bottom. Although if you don't add perlite it should be ok as well, just drain the bottle when you see water pooling.

Apart from that, the pitcher seems kinda neat to grow a single cake. But I take it you want to leave the bottle upside-down and put the cake on the lid? I think it's going to be better if you leave the cake on the bottom of the bottle. Dunk and roll the cake, leave it there and mist when needed.

Edited by Josex (05/24/16 02:38 PM)

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Perfect little fruiting chamber (I think?) [Re: Josex]
    #23266360 - 05/24/16 02:47 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

The only thing about the pitcher I worry about is the lack of FAE

--------------------

Amateur Mycologists United
AMU Q&A

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies