Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

Inherently Good or Evil?
    #2325822 - 02/12/04 05:07 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

What breeds "inherently" good or evil?

To clarify, given a gun, who would pull the trigger, and who would not have the heart to do the "evil" deed?

I think much of it is spurned from how you were raised from childhood.

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelostsuitcase
...missing

Loc: mid-air?
Re: Inherently Good or Evil? [Re: daba]
    #2325853 - 02/12/04 05:35 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

whats evil about pulling a trigger?

pulling a trigger can kill an animal that will feed your children.

OfflineShroomerious
OO
Male

#2325953 - 02/12/04 08:20 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Good or evil is an illusion our society has generated. There is no good nor evil. There is only what the majority of the world accepts as good that could make us say as impassionately as we can if something is evil or not.
Now if you're asking about if someone is born "evil" as accepted from the majority of people then I believe the answer to be partly yes and the other part is the effect that the surrounding enviroment that one grew up in that has a very strong effect.

--------------------

OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

Re: Inherently Good or Evil? [Re: Shroomerious]
    #2326023 - 02/12/04 09:56 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I doubt good and evil are genetic traits.

--------------------
"...yet another in a long series of diversions an attempt to avoid responsibility."

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2326126 - 02/12/04 11:18 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I think first you have to define "evil". What constitutes "evil". As someone stated above, firing a gun is not necessarily an evil act. "Why" is he firing the gun?

Everyone is born with tendencies toward behaviors that could be considered evil, regardless of what constitutes the evil. But everyone is also born with tendencies toward behaviors that are considered good.

It is how we are nurtured and our life experiences that will dictate whether we display more of what society considers "good" or "evil".

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Offlinepeleg
Gypsy
Loc: Christ Light
Re: Inherently Good or Evil? [Re: Viaggio]
    #2326131 - 02/12/04 11:21 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

there is Only One that is good, by this were all born with a selfish desire to please our own selfs which is evil but by given up those desires we let the light force in and that LIGHT FORCE is soooo good so by surrendering the i we are made one with the goodness of what i choose to call God.

--------------------
"Well the first days are the hardest days." When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.....

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2326329 - 02/12/04 12:38 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

"What breeds "inherently" good or evil?"

we are the ones who assign the attributes to good and evil. we are the ones that judge the good and the evil. how we judge stes from our personality. our personaliy was shaped by the experiences we have had. no it is up to us to decide if we actually identify with our personality, if we do, then we will believe in the right and the wrong. therefore i think we who are breeding good and evil

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

OfflinePedM
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
    #2326544 - 02/12/04 01:31 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Observing the way we react to given situations in life, we can see that the concepts "good" and "evil" have a risen from our essential desires. We all wish to be happy and free from suffering and problems. As such, that which makes us happy is generally considered "good", whereas that which causes us to suffer is generally considered "evil."

There is a deep hunger for happiness in human beings. It pervades our each and every action. I am composing this post because I believe it will bring some benefit that will create the causes for happiness. We are driven toward love, to a sense of closeness with others. We keep pets in our homes, and enjoy feeling close to them. We maintain friends and intimate relationships because we like to feel close to others, empathic with their experience. Because of these things, it is reasonable to say that these things are our essential nature, that love and togetherness are inherent attributes of our basic essence.

And we can further conclude that this is true of all living beings, from the bottom feeding algae eater in our aquarium, to ordinary folks like ourselves, even abhorrent individuals such as Hitler, someone who will be infamous and universally hated for centuries. It is difficult to accept the idea that someone like Hitler could have committed such horrible acts of suffering from an essential nature seeking happiness and closeness. Surely he was evil down to the very core of his being. Though, we need to consider ourselves before judging others.

All of us may long for happiness and freedom from suffering, but if we check carefully, none of us are actually aware of how to meet those ends. None of us possess the skills to create lasting happiness and it's causes. The objects we create for ourselves, such as our career, our relationships, our material things, lifestyle, and so forth, almost always transform themselves into objects of great inescapable misery. Shantideva said "All beings wish for happiness, but out of ignorance they destroy it like a foe." So we can see how we are misguided beings, all chasing the same dream down countless incorrect paths. In this way, Hitler was no different than us. It is painfully unfortunate that the path he chose rained such enormous destruction upon so many millions.

But that is the horror of our world. Deep down in all of our hearts is this seed for immeasurable love, immeasurable compassion, immeasurable joy. There is the potentiality there for an all-encompassing happiness that smiles across all of space. There is the potential at our hearts never to harm others, never to be harmed by others, to experience only bliss and delight throughout all endless time. We all yearn to enter that place; we all yearn for happiness and freedom from suffering and problems. As has been said, it pervades everything that we do. Yet although this is at our very core, our entire civilization winces in pain generation after generation. This is what samsara is. "All beings wish for happiness, but out of ignorance they destroy it like a foe."

How wonderful it would be if all beings possessed equanimity, freedom from attachment, hatred and confusion.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

Re: Inherently Good or Evil? [Re: Ped]
    #2327650 - 02/12/04 06:03 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Very accurate, eloquent, and beautiful post, Ped.  The method you use to explain eastern philosophy reminds me of a book I read titled Turning the Mind into an Ally.

Y'know, I have a tattoo of a lotus flower  :thumbup:

Cool, huh?  :smirk:

--------------------
"...yet another in a long series of diversions an attempt to avoid responsibility."

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology