Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineErikXL45
SoME AssHoLe
Male User Gallery
AA+, B+, KSSS and "Illusion Weavers" mystery cube
    #23256027 - 05/21/16 09:35 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

So first time using pf tek or prepping grain. I did more than one thing wrong I'm sure. I just recently got a pc and many other things I had yet to use in this hobby. Many of the things needed weren't and aren't available locally. That or not at a decent price anyhow. Just picked up an oz of agar yesterday from the only place that carries it locally for 10$. Ouch..anyway. I'm working on expanding my knowledge on a bunch of different fronts at once. I've got a full house this weekend so I'm not gonna get exact numbers until later in the week. I'm pretty sure They're close though. I'll edit this as I have time to tidy it up.

I'll start by saying I'm using ms syringes. Yeah already I know. I'm going to get into agar real soon.

PC times have all been standard minimum times at 15 psi. My biggest concern with using the pc this far is more water under my foil than I'm comfortable seeing. I removed my jars this last run so I  could remove the foil while the jars were hot to let any condensation evaporate off. Seems like it worked pretty well. I'd like to keep this practice up.

For my cakes I used 2/1/1 with added gypsum and spent coffee grounds.

I used P.W.'s and a couple other teks constructing lids. All have some variation of a SHIP made using rtv. Eco felt filters I cut out to size and rtv holding them in place. On my half pint jars I incorporated tyvek and micropore tape into the lids. I used plastic and metal lids. I want to see if there's much difference.

With the glad mini rounds no dry verm barrier.
I used about 20 glad mini rounds 4oz 1/4pt size. Those were inoculated open air. Torch to sterilize the needle. ISO soaked sponge over the injection port. Injected through the sponge into the jar through the SHIP. Honestly I skimped on these giving them about 1/4cc each using AA+ and IW. Those were done on the 15th. A quick peak earlier showed a little myco action starting to form.
I had leftover brf mix so I did a 1qt jar as well using ksss.

I used 4 step easy rye for my grain jars. 2 full qts dry grain only gave me 6 qts though instead of 7. I Injected them with enough so as not to cause a moisture problem..Probably a little less than 1cc of the "Illusion Weaver" strain I got months ago with the rest of my spore syringes. I kinda freaked out though seeing the little bit of liquid in the bottom though and shook em. Those were the day after. I've got dates on the jars I'll post when I edit this. I feel like my grains may be dry. They look dry to me but again this was my first time prepping rye grain. I feel like I should have let them simmer for longer. The baby in the grain was a bit more visible than I cared for. Guess time will tell.

I did 12 more 1/2pt jars pf tek style same recipe on the 18th. These are B+ I think using about .8cc each. Biggest difference is these are glass wide mouth and I'm using metal lids. This added the dry verm layer. I drilled 1/2in holes for ge. Tyvek with micropore tape over it. I used a disk cut from easy felt to fit over the top as well. I did these jars the day after I the grain.

Of course I'm nervous. Seeing one of the mini rounds with some growth gives me hope though that maybe I did enough right to be successful in these new trials. In my near future I'll be getting the stuff I need to build a sgfc and a sab.

My goal is to pull as much off these trials as possible and use these fruits to start some agar work. I've got 3 other monotubs built, my first grow was a monotub with ksss. I was really disappointed though at how many aborts and short mushrooms I got from ms though. Kinda what pushed me to move backwards and start cakes. Figure I'll see which ones are performers and build my agar off those. Once I get some champions I'll do agar to grain then bulk again.

I gotta run but I'll edit things and take pics soon. Wish me luck.

Edited by ErikXL45 (06/05/16 07:46 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: AA+, B+, KSSS and "Illusion Weavers" mystery cube [Re: ErikXL45]
    #23256190 - 05/21/16 10:27 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

you want to use 1/4CC per cake or less not more. more spores don't make a faster time, it's about inoculation points and cakes already have 4. and each of those 4 only needs a small drop.

illusion weavers sounds like someone needed to buy their kid present and put a new label on some old B+ spore syringes with a new name to get some hype going.

post some pictures

good luck

OfflineErikXL45
SoME AssHoLe
Male User Gallery
Re: AA+, B+, KSSS and "Illusion Weavers" mystery cube [Re: bodhisatta]
    #23311795 - 06/05/16 07:53 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

So checking on things again. I think I'm battling bacteria in a couple jars. Letting them do their thing til I can tell for sure. Honestly it looks like most of my cakes aren't going to do anything. 2 of my grain jars barely show any growth. None on the rest. 5 of my IW cakes are moving along with 4 cakes using AA+. 4 of the B+ are moving along nicely but no growth on 8 of them. I'll add pics a little later..nothing spectacular just the jars I mentioned. I've got agar in the pc going right now to start working with tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Edited by ErikXL45 (06/05/16 07:57 PM)

OfflineErikXL45
SoME AssHoLe
Male User Gallery
    #23432521 - 07/11/16 04:23 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Just an update. I'll start off saying life got interesting for a while and I slacked off pretty hard on these guys. That being said this is what I've got left and what I'd like to do with it.

4 AA+ 1/4pt cakes- these are dunking for a sgfc.

2 KSSS mini-round agar plates- through my neglect the plates are covered completely and I won't isolate from the mycelium. There are some healthy pins I'm planning on cloning though. From their tissue I may isolate or simply make a ton of pasty plates for Tiger drops. I'll do this inside my SAB. When I do this I plan on having some grain jars prepped for a tiger drop style inoculation to keep them going. I would like to do 7 qts of grain with these 2 plates. I know they'll colonize slower this way but with multiple projects going I'm not rushing any single one in particular.

I've got 4 1/2pt B+ brf jars that havent fully colonized. I failed here using only a single inoculation point. I've got ideas for what to do with them but nothing set in stone.

Lastly for the IW- This has been an interesting one for me. Mostly because it's been so different from the rest. Same as the KSSS agar plates I have 3 of these fully covered in myc. So covered they are getting this thick cottony look to them. No pins but lots of myc. I'll use these tiger drop style into 7 qts of grain once I've got it prepped. Also managed 2 qts of grain with the IW I'll probably break up into a small plastic shoebox or two with 50/50 and fruit as huge cakes after they colonize. I had 7 1/4pt cakes 4 of which were pinning. I removed the pins and took tissue to clone of the prime candidates. Now dunking them with my AA+ cakes to fruit in a sgfc.

All said and done I'm working on putting time back into the hobby and cultivating some impressive mushrooms hopefully. I think I'll have better luck once I get my agar back on track. I'm really looking forward to making some prints in the end and doing some trading!

P.S. I don't figure pics are necessary at this point. Nothing you guys haven't seen. I'll take some pics of the IW mycelium on agar before I put them to grain. They're pretty neat.

OfflineErikXL45
SoME AssHoLe
Male User Gallery
    #23436657 - 07/13/16 12:28 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Just an update. I mixed up some cvg to use for bulk. I wound up with 2 8X8 trays of IW and 5 mini loaf trays of IW. 1 8X8 tray of AA+ and 1 mini loaf tray. Mixed them all at close to a 1:2 ratio. Gonna do some more work tomorrow with what I haven't used yet.

OfflineErikXL45
SoME AssHoLe
Male User Gallery
    #23493742 - 07/30/16 08:40 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

These are the small loaf trays of the "illusion weavers". they were pretty quick colonizing the cakes then the trays when I  crumbled the cakes to trays with 50/50. I know there's a little myc piss on my perlite. Trimmed my foil too close. Anyhow this is how they look so far.

I figured I'd take a pic of the grain. I used 1/3 a tiger drop per jar. All done in a SAB. This is what most of them look like since I did that the 17th and shook once a couple days ago.

Edited by ErikXL45 (07/30/16 09:31 PM)

OfflineMycologist217
Frank's Disciple
Male User Gallery

Loc: Man of the Moon
Trusted Cultivator
    #23493758 - 07/30/16 08:45 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Good job reaching fruiting!

I'm on board for the rest of this!

Welcome to the community

Oh PS....way back in OP when you said you were a little concerned about water on the kids of your jars...put a small square of paper towel in the foil.

--------------------
My LC Manual (With custom LC lid Tek) ~~ Required Mycology Supplies ~~ Agar Work Videos ~~ L G M
AMU Q&A-NO SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL! KEEP THAT IN MIND! BUY THE TICKET: TAKE THE RIDE

Check out my Retail Gourmet Mushroom Farm!

Mycologist217 is a fictitious entity that uses images supplied by Google to mask his/her inability to develop normal social habits.

Edited by Mycologist217 (07/30/16 08:46 PM)

InvisiblePastywhyteMDiscord
Say hello to my little friend
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #23493778 - 07/30/16 08:51 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ErikXL45 said:
These are the small loaf trays of the "illusion weavers". they were pretty quick colonizing the cakes then the trays when I  crumbled the cakes to trays with 50/50. I know there's a little myc piss on my perlite. Trimmed my foil too close. Anyhow this is how they look so far.

Those don't look happy :frown:

OfflineErikXL45
SoME AssHoLe
Male User Gallery
Re: AA+, B+, KSSS and "Illusion Weavers" mystery cube [Re: Mycologist217]
    #23493838 - 07/30/16 09:13 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Thx. I've still got no pins with the bigger trays. I started fruiting them later though. Took a bit longer to colonize. When they start showing signs they're pinning I'll post pics. Should be easier getting a really good pic being that the trays are 8x8. Of the 6 cakes though I'm still not seeing any on the AA+ mini loaf tray that I flipped out to a cake with these IW pics.

With so little being known about the mystery of these I decided not to go crazy with them. Although I will say when I was thinking about doing agar with them I used the plates I was going to transfer from to get some grain going for a monotub with it. I felt like letting it just rot was cruel. Even for a mutt mushroom strain. So once this grain finishes up I'll use it for a monotub. If they end up doing pretty well maybe I'll make some prints and spread them around the community.

As far as the B+ goes- I've still got 4 cakes. One of them is probably ready to dunk and fruit but the other 3 cakes still aren't 100%. My fault making lids thinking I could get away with a single injection port.

I'm learning lessons the hard way at times still. These are smaller projects I'm kinda just trying to get experience with. With all this I've built my first SGFC. Gotten pretty good with grain. Learned about cakes and trays. And a little agar work. My bigger projects to come are the ksss I cloned from a fruit and the cambo and OI spores I put to agar last week. Oh yeah and I use the paper towel with the foil. I just try having them a week ahead of time to dry up some. Seems to help.

Quote:

Pastywhyte said:
Quote:

ErikXL45 said:

Those don't look happy :frown:

I agree with you. I'm still not where I'd like to be with experience. When I flipped the smaller trays to cakes I sprayed them down like a brf cake. Didn't occur to me right away they may still be pretty saturated. On top of the fact there was almost definitely bacteria hitching along to begin with. At this point I'm just sprinting for the finish line as patiently as I can with them.

Edited by ErikXL45 (07/30/16 09:21 PM)

OfflineErikXL45
SoME AssHoLe
Male User Gallery
    #23498011 - 08/01/16 10:21 AM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Pics from today of the IW cakes. I really didn't expect anything from them. Mostly because I made so many mistakes along the way. Whether it's a knock off variety or not it's been pretty impressive as far as ease of working with. I watched it battle bacteria and neglect coupled with my inexperience. It seems like it colonized things pretty quickly. And it's still moving forward.

OfflineErikXL45
SoME AssHoLe
Male User Gallery
    #23503506 - 08/02/16 09:24 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

I figure these are pretty close. Not bad for a couple small projects I almost tossed. The trays are just starting to pin. I'll put some pics up of them tomorrow. These were some good pics though. These are the IW.

OfflineErikXL45
SoME AssHoLe
Male User Gallery
    #23551768 - 08/17/16 11:25 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

These are just a couple more pics of the Illusion weavers. Currently have a monotub of them that should be ready for fruiting in a couple days. Tried them and was very happy with the results.

Also currently have a culture of ksss on agar. Been working on it taking transfers and used the plates up on grain as I could. That's the 2nd going right now. Grain is colonizing for 2 more monos too.

The B+ cakes i made were painfully slow to colonize. I used little of the lc to inoculate and only at one point. A couple of them finally made it though and have been in the sgfc for a couple days now. If they put out fruits I'll get some pics going.

The AA+ started looking pretty yellow. I won't pretend to know exactly why but I know it was bad. I think I had a bad lc.

Right now the plan is to get this ksss really healthy and lay the Illusion weavers to rest. If there's anything I  want more out of this thread it's going to be a ksss master culture I can brag about.

OfflineShroom_Goddess
Friend of Forests
Female User Gallery

Loc: 1984
    #23565084 - 08/22/16 05:37 AM (7 years, 7 months ago)

They seem really skinny. Seems like FAE/humidity would make them much fatter!

--------------------
-Its 1984 in 2016-
Hunter was right.. The American Dream is dead.

OfflineErikXL45
SoME AssHoLe
Male User Gallery
Re: AA+, B+, KSSS and "Illusion Weavers" mystery cube [Re: Shroom_Goddess]
    #23566318 - 08/22/16 03:25 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

I agree Shroom_Goddess. The whole grow was definitely less than ideal.

I've got higher hopes for the monotub grow. The grain spawn I used for it was from a pin I cloned on agar. No isolation work outside of putting tissue from the pin onto agar, then agar to grain. I loosened the poly in the bottom holes yesterday to promote fae for fruiting. I'd try to keep a better journal but life won't let me sit long enough for that. I'll post pics though as it moves along. Thanks for the help and input everyone.

So this is where I began the edit because I got excited lol. I decided to shoot a couple quick pics.

Tried to show the rings around the poly and cracked the lid to take a couple quick pics of the sub. This is the IW tub spawned on the 10th. Personally I think it looks good but any input is always welcome. This is my 2nd monotub so still learning. Thanks again!

Edited by ErikXL45 (08/22/16 04:09 PM)

OfflineErikXL45
SoME AssHoLe
Male User Gallery
    #23614194 - 09/05/16 09:29 AM (7 years, 6 months ago)

More IW pics. Rollin with 4 tubs now. 3 of em are ksss. Probably gonna be the last ksss I work with for a while. Seems like the fruits are denser but much smaller than what I'm looking for. Cam Gold and OI tubs are up next.

Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Trusted Cultivator
    #23614201 - 09/05/16 09:33 AM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Those look like they need a lot more FAE

OfflineBobabouy
Shrimp Boat Captain
Male

Loc: The Black Sea
Re: AA+, B+, KSSS and "Illusion Weavers" mystery cube [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #23614251 - 09/05/16 10:02 AM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Try using about half the amount of poly you have in the lower holes and even less (just enough to fill the hole) in the top. The rings around the poly are pretty, but you can't always use that as an indicator of proper FAE.

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: AA+, B+, KSSS and "Illusion Weavers" mystery cube [Re: Bobabouy]
    #23614262 - 09/05/16 10:07 AM (7 years, 6 months ago)

His bottom holes ain't too bad but the top holes are way overstuffed.

OfflineErikXL45
SoME AssHoLe
Male User Gallery
    #23617303 - 09/06/16 07:43 AM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Alright so I've been moving the last week. For the poly I've been going with tight poly in all 4 tubs during spawning and when I see about 40% of the casing covered I pull the top poly out and use just enough to keep it from falling out, medium poly in the bottom for fruiting. The pic with the stack of tubs only has one tub fruiting right now.
So many teks to choose from and different opinions on top of daily life doesn't leave me as much time for research as I'd like. I'm not sure what the current majority uses for poly during the different stages with the greatest success. As silly as it sounds it's one of the things I've wondered about more often than not. Soooo...could someone link me to a current thread or just tell me their current practice using poly? And when they typically put into fruiting or if they're just fruiting from the start? One of these other tubs I'm pretty sure is ready to fruit but the other 2 may need more time to colonize a bit more of the casing. The help is always appreciated fellas. Thanks again.

-Erik

OfflineErikXL45
SoME AssHoLe
Male User Gallery
    #23624201 - 09/07/16 10:55 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

So harvested the IW monotub. Added a cup of water through the side of the liner to replenish it a little. 578g first flush. Some pretty cool mutants. I'm probably gonna keep it around by pulling a pin once they are up for a 2nd flush and put some flesh to agar. I know it's no record here on the shroomery but it's a personal best so pretty happy about that. As much abuse add I put this strain through learning the ropes a little more I think it's worth it personally. After seeing these numbers and knowing the KSSS tubs won't put out as much makes me a little sad though.
Really I'm ready to get the Cam Gold and OI grain in tubs. It'll be a bit longer for those though.
Here are a few pics though. Wish me luck on a good 2nd flush.

OfflineMushroomAreTheKey
Pot farmer
Male

#23624481 - 09/08/16 01:16 AM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Damn nice!

--------------------
Botanist and trying to become mycologist

Busy making crack with a spoon

Amanita muscaria

You got a week to live, live it well.

OfflineErikXL45
SoME AssHoLe
Male User Gallery
Re: AA+, B+, KSSS and "Illusion Weavers" mystery cube [Re: MushroomAreTheKey]
    #23643039 - 09/13/16 09:13 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Second flush still going for the IW. What are the pits in the caps? I thought maybe flies but there aren't any in the mono.

This is the KSSS mono that's furthest along. I been battling with getting fae right. With these being shorter they fight the fuzz a lot more it seems like. There are a good number of fatties in there though. If I can get the fae under control the second flush and the next two tubs of ksss should go pretty well.

I added a bigger fan circulating in the room about 2 days ago and it looks like it's helping. I'll keep adjusting the poly and see how it goes though. Wish me luck.

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #23643042 - 09/13/16 09:15 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Pits in the caps looks like pseudomonias.

OfflineErikXL45
SoME AssHoLe
Male User Gallery
    #23667005 - 09/22/16 01:53 AM (7 years, 6 months ago)

So short update-

Ended up with about 5oz of the IW. I did some looking and the IW look a lot like Allen strain. Regardless I'll pass the love around to some friends. They have been fun. Here's a pic of a big ol bag of em.

Didn't get nearly as much out of the ksss. Probably about 2.5oz I'll know better when these get finished drying.

I have 2 more tubs still working on their first flush with ksss. I'll keep this thread going til they're finished. I have a new tub I spawned tonight though with cam gold. Probably start a new thread with it. Thanks everyone for all the help and resources. I'm still a noob for sure but things are going better all the time.

OfflineErikXL45
SoME AssHoLe
Male User Gallery
    #23678168 - 09/25/16 09:58 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

3rd flush IW..couple big ol boys.

OfflineErikXL45
SoME AssHoLe
Male User Gallery
    #23685078 - 09/28/16 12:32 AM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Big flying saucer ksss

Invisiblemorty422
Wuba-luba-dub-dub!
I'm a teapot

#23685103 - 09/28/16 12:45 AM (7 years, 5 months ago)

That dry ksss fatty looks good...

I think you needed more FAE than what you thought you needed during fruiting.

If I'm at home...my tub lid is off the tub, turned 90 degrees - and I am keeping the sub moisture up manually...

Check out some of Bodhisatta's non-modded tubs... As soon as I get home from work-I check my tubs moisture and rip that lid off...

Mushies can't have too much FAE! I give them all that I can!

OfflineErikXL45
SoME AssHoLe
Male User Gallery
Re: AA+, B+, KSSS and "Illusion Weavers" mystery cube [Re: morty422]
    #23685721 - 09/28/16 08:08 AM (7 years, 5 months ago)

I've been battling fae problems from the start.

A couple days ago I completely shaved the top off of 2 other tubs with ksss. They were either fuzzy with over lay or covered with all aborts that didn't finish.
My experience so far with ksss is usually that there are a bunch of small fruits on the first flush that abort or just don't get large period. I admit each of these tubs have been from further isolated clone tissue I'd been working on but I'm pretty sure fae has been the problem.
It's just my opinion but I also think ksss has a harder time with fae because the fruits are all short and fat. I believe because of this co2 that's closest to the surface of the sub chokes them out easier. At this point I've done enough ksss and have other things in the works.

I'm trying different amounts of poly to try and increase fae also. Right now I think a large part of the problem is that I've got 4 monos 2x2 and maybe that's limiting fae from circulating around them enough. I'm gonna see if I can rearrange things maybe to improve this. I'm just trying to keep them off the carpeted floor. I don't really have anywhere else to keep them.

As for this thread I'll keep it open til the end of the ksss tubs. I've got a cam gold tub I patched yesterday and a OI tub I spawned yesterday. Also put some AA+ and Z strain to agar for when the ksss tubs are empty again. Wish me luck!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate