Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSorceroom
Mycophile
Loc: Nottingham, England
"Eeerm, I didn't realise they were 'Magic' Mushrooms!"
    #2324676 - 02/11/04 04:43 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

How would police know whether or not to arrest you if they found you picking mushrooms? How could they tell if they were hallucinogenic? Is it worth saying you're looking for 'edible' shrooms if you get caught?

--------------------
You are entering the realm of imagination and dreams, which is not subject to time and space...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: "Eeerm, I didn't realise they were 'Magic' Mushrooms!" [Re: Sorceroom]
    #2324777 - 02/11/04 05:09 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

There's no law against picking mushrooms. In the US, the law is against possession of psilocin and psilocybin, and anything that contains either of them.

If you want to try the "picking edible mushrooms" defense you should probably make sure you know a bit about the edible mushrooms to be found locally. It wouldn't hurt if you actually had a few edibles you'd found with you. If you get caught with only active mushrooms (especially if you have a lot of them) it's going to be a bit tougher to make a good defense.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #2324867 - 02/11/04 05:36 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

also, be sure not to be mushroom hunting in areas designeted as wild life reserves/sactuaries, as in many cases, removal of any plants or animals [including fungi] is against the law. at the least, know what is leagal in your area or the area in which you intend to hunt.

do not use the "i was hunting edibles" line if you do not know [or can not convince a lay person that you know] which edible mushrooms you are looking for. sounding like you don't know what you are doing might arouse suspicion and/or make you sound like you are hiding something.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineSorceroom
Mycophile
Re: "Eeerm, I didn't realise they were 'Magic' Mushrooms!" [Re: canid]
    #2326984 - 02/12/04 03:18 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Surely 'sounding like you don't know what youre doing' is a good defense for 'accidently' picking psychoactive mushrooms? Its only a hypothetical question anyway. It just came to mind for some reason :smile:

--------------------
You are entering the realm of imagination and dreams, which is not subject to time and space...

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #2327153 - 02/12/04 04:03 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

No! if you sould like yuo have absolutely no clue what you are doing you will come across as an ignorant person and cause the cop/land owner to further wonder what possible reason someone would be hunting mushrooms when they can't even give a coherent account of thier intentions. this is not what you want to do, trust me.

furthermore, you will find that the police will be mor suspicious of someone who can not explan what kind of mushrooms tey are looking for than someone who sounds likel they take thisr mushroom hunting seriously. by and large, psilocbian mushroom hunters are ignorant tenagers with no respect and the even the cops are not too blind to see that.

as a note: as sad as it is to say, the older and more clean cut you look, the better you will be recieved.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #2327849 - 02/12/04 07:13 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

If you're out picking active mushrooms and a cop stops you, if the only mushrooms you have are active mushrooms, it's going to be tough to get by with an "I didn't know what I was picking" defense.

If you have 20 different kinds of mushrooms and only one kind is active you might be able to convince them.

The vast majority of cops are completely ignorant about mushrooms, other than knowing that some of them are illegal. They have no idea how to identify them at all. If you come across as a possible suspect, then they will probably sieze your mushrooms to test them to see if they're illegal. If you'd like to avoid that, you need to see to it that you won't be perceived as a possible suspect. An easy way to get started is to imagine that you're the cop and ask yourself if you'd be suspicious. Try thinking of things that would make you less suspicious.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinepietruk
Loc: Midwest
Re: "Eeerm, I didn't realise they were 'Magic' Mushrooms!" [Re: canid]
    #2327893 - 02/12/04 07:31 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

All of that is opinion, not the letter of the law. The only case where someone got off on a shroom case was Fiske vs. State of Florida. Fiske wwas arrested coming out of the woods with magic mushrooms. Was then convicted for posession which was overturned by the state supreeme court.

Law is interpereted on facts. Mind reading is not allowed. What your plans for the mushrooms are or wheather or not you actually know anything about mushrooms is speculation.

The safest place to get cought with fresh mushrooms is in the woods.

Trespassing and picking something in a preserve are not drug charges. You will not go to jail. You will pay money at most.

While knowing something about mushrooms will help you talk your way away from a cop. It is not essential to your aquital. The distinction is that if you are ignorant you may get arrested first. But don't be ignorant if you're gonna pick and eat wild mushrooms.

Maybe you thought they were cool looking. How many times have you picked a mushroom throughout you life cuz it was neat?

Cops don't know what active mushrooms look like. And there are plenty that look identical. MOST mushrooms aren't active. There's something like 70,000 different mushrooms and 200 active ones (my numbers may be off but the point is the same). The law CANNOT require people to have that kind of specialized knowledge. There are no 100% acurate field tests for activity. Sure most will blue but inactives blue too. You would have to take it home to your MICROSCOPE to look at the spores and ever then it can be difficult to be 100%

Well enough of a rant for me. It's just that we are becoming more and more afraid of the police and legal system. With cause. No offense but the responses I read help contribute to that. The one hard fast case of getting off on a mushroom charge is the exact question this guy asked. All there responses barely addressed that only added to the fear and confusion.

Invisibleback2growing
hunter

Loc: southeast usa
    #2329402 - 02/13/04 03:42 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

i make my case...

i was shrooming at night. cop rode past field very slowly with spotlight on field. he was obviously looking for shroomers. (i hid behind a tree) true story

id be willing to bet money cops know the actives of their area. cops here in louisiana wouldnt know a ps cyan from a ps azure. but they damn well know a cube when they see one. they prolly dont know gyms or cope cyans

better question is...if you see him before he sees you, can he charge you for a pile of freshly picked actives you dumped on the ground that he didnt see you ever touch?

--------------------
Its cube season on the gulf coast.

Whats more natural than a man going out and collecting medicines?

I like to take the heavenly route to hell.

Offlinepietruk
Loc: Midwest
Re: "Eeerm, I didn't realise they were 'Magic' Mushrooms!" [Re: back2growing]
    #2329647 - 02/13/04 08:27 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

The fiske case was exactly that. Cop sees guy coming out of woods. Guy has pile of mushrooms near him. If they know they're active you probably go to jail. But you should get off.

OfflineSorceroom
Mycophile
Re: "Eeerm, I didn't realise they were 'Magic' Mushrooms!" [Re: pietruk]
    #2331355 - 02/13/04 04:32 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for explaining :smile: I don't really have to worry though..living in the UK in all :wink: Useful advice for if I stumble across some shrooms if ever in the USA :wink:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification